Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung PN60E530A3FXZA, no picture, no sound (AFAICT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PN60E530A3FXZA, no picture, no sound (AFAICT)

This set is less than 2 years old.. really disappointed in Samsung. Looking on the bright side I know more about how my TV works now (kinda) I started a thread over on AVS but have not got any attention and I found this place when googling and it seems to be a much better source of this kind of help. I found a couple of threads dealing with my model TV and I was not sure if I should hijack a previous thread or start my own. Obviously I opted to start my own. I'll try to be as thorough on what I have done so far as I can.

Sunday afternoon I was watching TV and noticed what I am going to call artifacts that manifested mostly on light skin (white people) where it looked like the studio lighting was hitting them the most (cheek bones and forehead). This happened no matter the source. Anyways, not wanting to waste the rest of my Sunday diagnosing it I let it be. A few hours later seemingly out of nowhere the TV shut down and would not come back on.

Yesterday evening I had a buddy come help me take her off the wall and I took the back off hoping to find something obvious. Unfortunately that was not the case. Caps look fine as far as I can tell. Nothing looks blown. The lower right corner of the power board does have a faint smell of electrical burn but nothing visibly obvious. I see no holes in any of the chips on the buffer board.

When I plug it in the green led on the logic board blinks quickly once followed by a longer blink (Lets call it a dot - dash) While the dash is happening there are 3 clicks from the power board. 6-ish seconds later this repeats. I have seen tom66 point to that being DRV_RESET and usually being an X/Y main or buffer fault. On this model the Y-main is daisy chained off of the X-main so I'm not positive how to test them individually, but when I disconnect the power cable from the power board to the X-main board and plug the TV back in the TV seems to power on more normally, but I can't get sound of it and obviously no picture. I get the Samsung 6 red "power on" blinks from the red LED and I can see the red glow from the optical port on the input board, the red LED on the front blinks when receiving input from the remote so that seems to be working. Shortly after it seems to "reboot" and the process repeats.

I brought my multimeter home with me today, and while referring to tom66's "A guide to fixing/troubleshooting some common plasma TV problems" on this forum I started probing around. Probing the power connector from the power board to the input board looks ok compared to the silk screen on there. It's all low voltage it seems.

Now on to the power connector from the power board to X-main. While the power board is "clicking" and trying to turn on, the lower voltages (5.3v, 15v) do come on temporarily. While it seems to be trying to come on VS only jumps to about .7-.8v DC for a split second (I'm guessing because it never fully charges?). The VA line never does anything. Both VS and VA act the same whether the xmain is hooked up or not. The VS and VA test points are clearly marked but I have tested from the TP's and also at the connector with the same results.

So that is where I am at. Had I not read tom66 pointing to the 6 second blinks being an X/Y main or buffer fault I would have quickly pointed the finger at the power board since I'm not really getting voltage on VS or VA and that faint electrical burn smell, but now I'm not sure so ALL help will be greatly appreciated!

The parts.
    tv model - PN60E530A3FXZA
    power board - BN44-00512A
    control/logic - LJ41-10158A
    input - BN96-24578A
    Y-buffer board - LJ41-10175A & LJ41-10176A (upper and lower)
    Y-sus board - LJ41-10162A
    X-buffer - LJ41-10180A
    X-sus board - LJ41-10161A
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ekrboi; 12-16-2014, 04:50 PM.

Re: Samsung PN60E530A3FXZA, no picture, no sound (AFAICT)

This is the same PSU as in my pn60e550. To test VS and VA volts you will need a 1K ohm 1/4 watt resistor.

Disconnect from AC before doing this

Remove power cable from x main and from main board for this test. Now on the X main side of power cable insert resistor in pins #4 VS-on and #6 5.3v,Logic board sends the signal through X main to PSU for VS on. Plug into AC.

This will turn on PSU and VS should come up and be stable at panel sticker rating. There are test points on PSU.

If they don't come up or are unstable then the PSU is at fault. If they are stable then further testing is required.

Edit... you can use a jumper wire instead of the resistor without damage, but VA & VS will read higher than normal volts.
    Last edited by MagicSmoke; 12-16-2014, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Cool! that worked. I didn't have a resistor handy, so I just jumped the pins. VS should be 211 and is reading 217.6, VA should be 57 and is reading 57.1. So it seems the power supply is ok.

Thanks for the help, so it is an issue in Y/X-main or buffer it seems. Awaiting further instructions!
      Last edited by ekrboi; 12-16-2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

This is where this set gets tricky. There are no schematics of any board circuits that I could find.

Plug main board back in and X main to PSU, Unplug Y main power cable from X board, unplug LVDS cable from Y main. Try to turn on normally.

If PSU comes on and has stable VS & VA and logic board led flashes once a second then problem lies in Y main or buffers.

If no VS & VA or led blinks once every 5 seconds, then logic board or X main or buffer is faulty.

EDIT Unplug AC and let the residual voltage bleed off of PSU before re-connecting any wires/cables.
        Last edited by MagicSmoke; 12-16-2014, 07:00 PM.

Comment

thanks again! With main board and X main plugged into power and both connections removed from Y main I get LED blinks every 5 seconds and nothing at all on VA and only a small .800 bump on VS like with everything hooked up.

So it is logic, x main or buffer.

EDIT* It has been sitting unplugged between these posts/tests.
          Last edited by ekrboi; 12-16-2014, 07:44 PM.

Comment

It sounds like it may be difficult to narrow it down further. Does the "artifacts" that I got shortly before it went out tell us anything?

Comment

The only thing that I found for service guide is this. It's not much help.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yea, not much help. The pictures showing failures don't match up to what I was seeing before it shut down. It even says it will shut down if either Y or X main are disconnected so that is no help. It's like they purposely made this thing a PITA =P

Considering we/I can't narrow it any further I'm going to try calling Samsung and giving them hell tomorrow and see if they are willing to send someone out and fix it if they want to keep a customer.. All else fails I'll start ordering parts.

If it were you, which board would be your first "guess"?

EDIT* So I took out the Y main board again and closely inspected the bottom and find this.. looks like a tiny hole in R5060. It's ohm reading seems to fluctuate a lot. Wish I knew what that was suppose to be.. i've soldered smd stuff that small before.. but then again that probably points to a bigger issue?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ekrboi; 12-16-2014, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Looks to be 15 ohm. Marking is 150. Possibly shorted U5015? Did you check for shorts?
                  Also check q5016
                  Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-16-2014, 10:43 PM.
                  Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

R5060 is a 150 marked resistor, I get 15.1 ohm across on the Y main I have.

Comment

I'm betting an overload or short killed it
                      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I did test for shorts on some components, but not all of them. I actually traced the line from that blown resistor (it was reading closer to 120ohm and not 15) straight to one of the buffers last night. It was late so I needed to goto bed. When I get off work I'm going to test the buffers for shorts. I found a video on youtube on how to test them. I think it was a tom66 video. More than likely I'm just going to end up ordering the buffers and y-main. Found them all for less than $100 and I learned something in the process.. worth it IMO
                        Last edited by ekrboi; 12-17-2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                          Looks to be 15 ohm. Marking is 150. Possibly shorted U5015? Did you check for shorts?
                          Also check q5016
                          Ive tested both and not showing a short as far as I can tell. I set DMM to cont. and touched one pin with black and then moved red around the other pins.. then on to the next pin etc. I've checked the buffers for shorts now and can't seem to find one.

I thought I had found a good price on the ymain board.. but apparently I was sleepy or they only had one and sold it because it says out of stock now.. grr. I'm iffy on ordering from ebay..

Comment

That's about where I am on the 60" I have. Buffers test OK, Y main tests OK, So I ordered a set of buffers and a Y main and I still have no picture.

Actually I replaced everything but the E and F buffers at the bottom, So I have 2 of all boards except X buffer.

Back to the testing, Plug power wire in to Y from X main but leave the LVDS cable at Y main unhooked, everything else connected normally, try powering it on.

Mine will fire up the PSU VS and VA come on and are steady with logic board flashing normally. ( I know service manual says it's supposed to shut down) but mine does not. See what yours will do. Don't expect the screen to light yet.

Comment

Gahh.. been a tough day at work. Too many appointments. I just got home and realized I left my DMM at work. I need to get another one to leave at home. This is not the first time I've needed it.

BUT, I juust want to clarify. Leave the power cable from PSU to X plugged in along with X LVDS, and leave power cable from X to Y hooked up but disconnect Y's LVDS cable?

If that is what you mean I am pretty sure I have done that, and I just get the blinks every 6secs. I will try when I get home tomorrow just to be sure.

I'm tempted to simply find a 150 smd resistor on an old anything in the "junk bin" out in the garage and simply try replacing that burnt looking one and "see what happens". Is it at all possible that resistor was simply faulty and finally blew on its own? Maybe it slowly went out of spec and it finally caused trouble? does that happen?
                              Last edited by ekrboi; 12-18-2014, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ekrboi View Post
                                BUT, I juust want to clarify. Leave the power cable from PSU to X plugged in along with X LVDS, and leave power cable from X to Y hooked up but disconnect Y's LVDS cable?

If that is what you mean I am pretty sure I have done that, and I just get the blinks every 6secs. I will try when I get home tomorrow just to be sure.

I'm tempted to simply find a 150 smd resistor on an old anything in the "junk bin" out in the garage and simply try replacing that burnt looking one and "see what happens". Is it at all possible that resistor was simply faulty and finally blew on its own? does that happen?
                                Correct on the first part. X & Y power connected, X LVDS connected, Y LVDS disconnected. Check logic flashes.

It is possible for them to spontaneously fail, But I'm not as knowledgeable as others here. Others may have more info.

Comment

Cool I will test that tomorrow.

Sucks you area having such a PITA time with yours as well. I guess you don't have much more to try. What exactly happened with yours? Just stop working one day like mine?

Comment

Actually got off craigslist. Lightning strike in backyard was info given when I picked it up.

Would not turn on at first, main board and logic fried ( no led blinking on logic). Got that replaced so it would turn on, play startup jingle and no joy from there. I actually think my problem is software related between main board or Y main and logic board. Mine is a 3d model.

I cannot find any shorts or bad components on any board, that's why I have 2 of everything PSU X & Y Mains and Y buffers. Swapped them out just to see.

That's why I was wondering what yours will do in the last described test with all connections except Y main LVDS cable connected. To see if your led flashes normally or slowly.

Comment

Finally some news. drussel figured out it is Infineon 3BR0665J controller @ U5014 causing the problem. From this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=43075&page=2

I put my Y main in freezer and whadda you know it came on. So glad he figured that out.

But now have another problem vertical snow lines on each side of screen. See pic.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                      X