Which of these psus is the safest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which of these psus is the safest?

I have 5 psus available and I 'd like to use 3 of them in the following pcs:

1) Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz (with gigabyte dynamic overclocking goes up to 3.2ghz), 1x512mb ddr533, nvidia 7600GT, hdd sata 80gb 7200rpm, dvd rom & dvd rw , 2x9cm fans
    pc working around 10-20 hours per week

2) Intel Pentium 4 1500mhz willamette, 3xSDRAM dimm total 576mb, TNT2M64 32mb agp, 2xhdd ide 7200rpm 80gb & 20gb, dvdrom & cd rw, 1x8cm fan
    working less than 10 hours per week

3)Intel Pentium 3 Celeron Tualatin 1300mhz @ 1456mhz, 3xSDRAM dimm total 384mb, ati all in wonder (rage) 128 agp, 2xhdd ide 7200 40gb & 5400 40gb, dvdrom &cd rw, 1x9cm fan & 2x8cm fans
    working around 10-20 hours per week

I need help selecting the safest power supply units and the ones that provide adequate power for each system.

The psus are:

1)Premier DR-8400BTX MAX 400WATT weight: 0,820 kg

(photos attached)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 11-03-2009, 04:25 PM.

Re: Which of these psus is the safest?

2)LINKWORLD LPQ6-300WP weight:1.743kg
    Attached Files

Comment

3)MACRON POWER MPT-301 ATX12V weight:1.444kg
      Attached Files

Comment

4)MAXPOWER PL-300 ATX12V PFC weight:1.262kg

What is this green board on top of the heatsinks? Never seen it before in a psu..
        Attached Files

Comment

5)CODEGEN 300X ATX2,03(P4) weight:1.097kg
          Attached Files

Comment

For the P4 williamette, I would recommend the Marcon after a recap. It looks the most well made, has an actual bridge rectifier and mostly complete input filter.

For the celeron I would recommend the solytech built premier after a recap.

I'm not telling you to use these, more of "if these were the last power supplies left on the planet, these would be the best" you really should get some delta 300W's or something on ebay for about $5 or $10.

As for the Pentium D, none of them. They are all too crappy to trust with something like that.

Comment

Some more info..
              Maxpower 300 has a bridge rectifier too (it can be seen a bit at the 3rd photo located on the green board). Still wondering why they put this extra board...
              Premier 400 was the psu that came with the Pentium D 2,66 system, and I thought of it as a good one.. a branded psu...

So, from better to worse, how would you rank all of them?

Comment

I wouldn't use any of them without reworking them.
                Actually, I just get something else..
                But, I dunno how hard that is in Thessaloniki Greece.

Don't assume C2D needs more than a P4.
                Depending on the video card, a P4 can easily be much more demanding than a C2D.
                A C2D CPU is low power compared to a P4 watts hog CPU.

You need to determine which will pull the most on +12v.

The only PSU there with more than 15 amps on +12v is the DR-8400BTX.
                Also looks to be the only one with at least 15 amps and full PI output filters.
                Input filter looks to be fine there too.
                - Put that on the one that needs the most +12v.

Not sure if 15 amps will be enough for the next most +12v demanding system.
                You'll have to figure that out.
                If 15 amps is enough then probably the Macron there.

The CODEGEN looks pretty solid [ahem, out of this group...] but it's only 10 amps on +12v.
                Don't use that on anything more than a P3.
                Seems to have full PI filters output filters and complete input filter.
                Probably the best choice for the P3.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

The reason I didn't even think of the Maxpower is because I think it is one of the new leadman safety series power supplies with a piggy back transient filter board, which I think is also leadman's poor excuse for PFC. Leadman's are just so poorly designed that this one would probably catch fire or explode before the solytech.

Yup PCBONEZ, the solytech has a 20A schottky on the 12v, and what looks to be a 30A on the 5v, with what looks like another 20A on the 3.3v, with full PI filtering and enough capacitors on the secondary to power a 5v based processor computer, like the celeron, just fine.

The codegen, I don't know about. It uses the same cheap design my 585W orion uses, where it siphons 5v from the transformer and regulates it down to 3.3v with no choke of it's own (why there is only 1 there,) and just sends it straight to the secondary filtering.
                  Last edited by 370forlife; 11-03-2009, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Come to think of it, the linkworld may actually be pretty good too. It has about the same looking secondary silicon as the solytech, has passive pfc, large transformer, some capxon caps, decent heatsinking, thermally controlled fan, and if I recall the "death of a gutless wonder" review on JG took a really gutless 350W linkworld and put it to the load tester, and it would kick in the OCP at around 250W or so, but it did eventually blow up after repeatedly doing this.

Still, a step above most other crappy units with no OCP.

Comment

Did you take that cat to Micheal Jackson's plastic surgeon?

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

I would be select PSU#4 for System#1, PSU#3 for System#2 and PSU#2 for System#3.

the PSU#3 MACRON POWER MPT-301 very need to recaps, CS caps is bad.
                        see my Enlight VP-300 in this post ==> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...3&postcount=95
                        same design and caps brand used, secondary side 5vsb caps had leakaged then caused very damage to other components in 5vsb circuit (two transistors).
                        Last edited by POM_MJ; 11-03-2009, 08:10 PM.
                        | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
                        | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
                        | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                          4)MAXPOWER PL-300 ATX12V PFC weight:1.262kg

What is this green board on top of the heatsinks? Never seen it before in a psu..
                          It's got to be an automatic power factor controller because of the coil in the middle, the 8-pin chip, and the power transistor on the heatsink. But isn't it bad safety practice to have a circuit board straddle the high voltage and low voltage sides of a PSU, at least when better electrical insulation isn't used?

I have an older 300W MaxPower w/o PFC that was included in a Soyo case that Fry's had for free after $30 rebate. It managed to put out 300W during the ten minutes I tested it. The case, fan, and two 560uF 200V HEC caps are the same, but the main circuit board is different (only one choke for all three output voltages).

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                            It's the eyebrows man. - They look like MJ's.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ

Lol, I would think paintshop was also a lot of his plastic surgery, so I would say yes.

Comment

Do you think Premier 400 is able to output enough power for the dual core intel 2.66 & nvidia 7600GT system?

I noticed 0,5A mark in every one of the four diodes that are placed instead of the bridge rectifier (see photo). Is that bad or hardly acceptable for a computer that is only used for few hours?

As for the primary caps, macron power has the biggest capacity (680uF) but they need recap and I am searching same type in Thessaloniki's electronic equipment stores with no success...

Maxpower has 560uF, and all others, Linkworld, Codegen and Premier have 330uF. Is this of any significance?

edit: THE FUNNIEST THING is that pentium4 1,5GHZ willamette came with a 250watt linkworld power supply with 10A 12V rating. The psu had only Fuhjyyu caps and 3 of them were bulged, 2 of them 16V and the other 10V. When tested in an old P3 system 12v line was reported at 13,7V!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by goodpsusearch; 11-04-2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

capacities and brands:

1)Premier DR-8400BTX MAX 400WATT
                                  2x 330uF 200V yc 85°C
                                  3x 50V 2.2uF Koshin
                                  1x 2.2uF 50V yc
                                  2x 1uF 50V yc
                                  1x 47uF 50V Koshin
                                  1x 10uF 50V Suscon
                                  1x 1000uF 16V yc
                                  1x 1000uF 16V Suscon
                                  1x 470uF 16V yc
                                  2x 1000uF 10V yc
                                  4x 1000uF 10V yc

2)LINKWORLD LPQ6-300WP
                                  2x 330uF 200V 85°C jun fu
                                  1x 220uF 35V capxon
                                  1x 10uF 50V Fuhjyyu 105°C
                                  2x 1uF 50V Capxon
                                  1x 2.2uF 50V Fuhjyyu
                                  2x 100uF 25V SC 105°C
                                  4x 470uF 16V capxon 105°C
                                  2x 1000uF 10V Fuhjyyu 105°C
                                  2x 2200uF Low ESR SC 105°C 10V or 16V

3)MACRON POWER MPT-301 ATX12V
                                  2x 680uF 200V CS 85°C
                                  4x 10uF 50V CS
                                  1x 470uF 25V CS 105°C
                                  3x 1uF 50V jpce 105°C
                                  1x 3300uF 16V 105°C
                                  2x 220uF 16V jpce 105°C
                                  6x 2200 uF 10V CS 105°C

4)MAXPOWER PL-300 ATX12V PFC
                                  2x 560uF 200V HEC 85°C
                                  1X 47uF 50v JPCE
                                  2x 4,7uF 50V jpce 105°C
                                  1x 33uF 16V jpce
                                  1x1000uF 16V CS 105°C
                                  1x 2200uF 10V CS 105°C
                                  3x 470uF 10V CS
                                  green board (pfc):
                                  1x 22uF 400V HEC
                                  1x 4.7uF 50V CS
                                  1x 47uF 50V LOW ESR jpce

5)CODEGEN 300X ATX2,03(P4)
                                  2x 330uF 200V HEC 105°C
                                  3x 47uF 50V HEC
                                  4x 1uf 50V HEC
                                  1x 10uF 50V jamicon
                                  1x 4.7uF 50V HEC
                                  2X 22uF 50v jamicon
                                  1x 1000uF 16V jamicon
                                  2x 470uF 16V jamicon
                                  1x 1000uF 10V jamicon

Comment

You can keep the CapXon.
                                    Fuhjyyu are outright dangerous.
                                    YC aren't far behind Fuhjyyu. [Nor are the others in that PSU.]
                                    All the rest are iffy and most people here would change them.

BTW: Nice work!
                                    Making up those lists can be a pain in the butt.
                                    Most likely will help someone else later on.
                                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-04-2009, 06:14 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

the premier theme song could be "all the small things" because thats what i see on the heatsinks. the silicon is just too small to be quality. after a recap, i give it a 6 out of 10

the rest i give a thumbs down because if wussy heatsinks. i like that the filter in the macron is good, so it may have hope after a recap for a low powered machine. the rest, i'd scrap for fans, wire, and electronic goodies.

btw, linkworld sucks. i got an abit bh6 box for free, board and hd killed by the fuhjyyu caps. at least i scrapped the psu and and case. the guts were all present (bridge, choke, x/y caps, etc.) but the heatsinks were TINY and the silicon was smaller. small transformers too. that one is in the "gut bin"
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I would say the premier could maybe do 300W if the temp is kept down. If it is anything like my old 350W rosewill solytech built, it has 2 400v, 12A, 20A pulse sanyo primaries.

I would say the marcon probably has the best selection of caps, being CS and CEC international, and is probably the only one capable of it's rated specs.

Still not saying you should use any of them before a recap though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X