Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

245BW, can't find problem. No 24 or 6.3V, standby is good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 245BW, can't find problem. No 24 or 6.3V, standby is good.

The 450v 82uf capacitor has failed on this model,what i have noticed when it fails is a severe flickering of the back lights,But I wonder if it could cause other problems?
    Just something to think about.
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
      The 450v 82uf capacitor has failed on this model,what i have noticed when it fails is a severe flickering of the back lights,But I wonder if it could cause other problems?
      Just something to think about.
      On this particular supply, I don't think that is the issue. It seems unlikely I could overload both outputs and have it work perfectly if the mains filter cap were bad.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Samsung 245BW - No 24v or 5.3v - standby is good

**UPDATE**

I have received this unit (purchased) from epicelite.

I recapped the PSU to my specs for caps using HE, FM, FC series'. It eliminates questions down the road. Since there has never been a list made of the originals I was unsure of what was in place when I got this unit.

I did some Googling and came up with:
        http://www.ccl-la.com/blog/index.php...4-lcd-monitor/

It is not the same monitor { 2493HM }, but it is the same PSU, BN44-00195A. A list of caps is provided, but the page is done as a graphic so the list and repairs can't be copied (easily). { Hello PaintShop camera mode! }

{ Elektrotanya skips right over this model number in it's BN44- series listing. }

After recapping, a bench test showed the supply in correct working order as PlainBill had noted when he had it and tested it. BTW: It's 5.3v, not 6.3v as the thread title indicates.

Reassembled the unit and the symptoms remain. Went to check the inverter and saw no 24v available. The meter would flicker occasionally on pressing the power button, but no significant reading, except that -something- was happening.

Disconnected the interconnect cable to the Graphics board. Cycled the power and 24v came right up and stayed on the Graphics board connector.

Shut the unit down and started probing the inverter board with the ohmmeter.
        Found both lower FETs shorted on the board. One D-S, the other G-S.
        An ohms test of the 3 transformers show them to be a match.

Both FETS are from Anpec and listed as Enhancement Mode types.
        APM4030A - N Channel
        APM4050A - P Channel

Not available anywhere in the US, but Anpec's site shows them as in current production.
        A suitable replacement could likely be found by datasheet-to-datasheet comparison, but I became bleary-eyed after the 6th sheet and went browsing.

Found a salvaged inverter for cheap from a different model monitor { LS24HUBCFL }, but again, the board is the correct number, BN44-00163B.

I figure that either I will get a working inverter or at the least the 2 FETs I need to finish this one.

The question remains: What caused the FETs to blow in the first place?
        Both inverter onboard caps test good in ESR, value, leakage.
        The fuse is intact and the board shows no darkening from overheating.

Toast
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Toasty; 10-28-2011, 12:20 PM. Reason: Add Datasheets
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Caps List for BN44-0195A power supply Samsung 245BW :

MAXIMUM HEIGHT = 25mm

There is sufficient room around the caps that a 12.5mm can be used where a 10mm was, or a 10mm for a 8mm, etc.

Mains (original to board) cap was not replaced. Tested good in ESR, value, leakage.

CB804 - 22 / 50
          CB805 - 2.2 / 50
          CB806 - 47 / 50
          CB809 - 47 / 50
          CB812 - 47 / 50
          CB853 - 2200 / 10

CM814 - 10 / 50
          CM851 - 1000 / 35
          CM852 - 1000 / 35
          CM855 - 470 / 35
          CM857 - 1000 / 10

CP801S - 82 / 450 { ~30mm diameter, 20mm height }
          CP804 - 10 / 50

13 caps

I'll get some drawings and photos up when I can.

Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

** UPDATE **

Inverter board was received and installed. Unit now works very nicely.

Awaiting some caps to redo the Video/Graphics board as kc8adu pointed out issues with the 225BW he has.
            I investigated mine and found some widely varying ESR readings on identical caps... 'nuff said!

See Page 24 of this thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=6930&page=24

veritas odium parit

Comment

Hello

I know this is old topic but I've got very similar issue with exacly the same power board and I'll need your help.
              Blue led is solid, I can power on/off. I have no 5.3V and 24V.
              What I've done so far:
              - I recaped all electrolytic capacitors - Rubycon ZL, YXF, Panasonic FR (are they no good?) and FR and large Chemi-Con KXG (good enough?)
              - I changed two shorting transistors: QM802 and QM803
              - I removed yellow glue

I measured voltage on ICM801:
              Pin 4 as ground
              1 - 4.27V
              2 - 4.27V
              3 - 2.66V
              5 - 5.10V
              6 - 3.21V
              7 - 3.21V
              8 - 5.08V
              9 - 14.55V
              10 – 0.2V
              11 - 4.98V
              12 - 6.88V
              13 - 0.00V
              14 - 7.08V
              15 - 14.98V
              16 - 2.58V

ICB801S
              Pin 3 as ground
              1 - 24mV
              2 - 16.50V
              4 - 1.21V
              5 - 390V

And few more:
              5.3V - 0.47V
              24V - 48mV
              Standby – 5.29V
              PSON – 3.25V

Big Cap – On – 390V Off – 330V

What would be my next step?

Comment

Sorry first listed Panasonic is EB (are they no good?).

Comment

So have you checked out the inverter board as per toasty
                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Yes. Non of the FETs are shorting.
                    U5 - 4.73K
                    U3 - 10K
                    U4 - 10K
                    U6 - 4.71K
                    Fuse F1 not blown

Comment

So - if you unplug the inverter board does the 24v come up on the power supply?
                      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

No, only 35mV. But when I keep the probes on it's going slowly up to about 47mV.

Comment

Check the long blue cap as in post #46.

Check the power resistors in the drains(?) of QM802/803. One mounted horizontal next to long blue cap and one vertical.

Make sure you are measuring from ground on the correct side for the 5.3v & 24v. Once you cross the fat white line and cuts in the board you are on a different circuit.

On the foil side, check the SMD components on the COLD side between the large transformer and the connector for the 5.3v standby. This would be near the optoisolators. (See attached pic.) I have found SMD resistors burned and a transistor there also. Use some good light and magnification to carefully inspect (jeweler's loupe).

A clear, well lit photo of that area would help.

If you follow the 24v circuit from above the transformer to the connector/area for the 5.3 & SB voltage, there is a wire jumper that you can lift one side of and see if the 24v comes up. ( J830 ? ) If it does, the fault is in the section near the opto's, as I mentioned.

There is a "balance" circuit used here that looks at the 24v & 5.3v. (2 zener's and a dual diode) If either one goes too far out of spec (high or low) it causes one of the opto's to send a signal to the shutdown pin on IC801S.

T
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Toasty; 01-18-2014, 11:58 AM.
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Both QM802/803 are brand new.
                            I haven't got correct value to replace 12nF blue cap. Closest value I've got is Wima MKP 100nF 400V. This is almost impossible to buy in the UK. Only Farnel has it but minimum order of £20 apply :/
                            All SMD transistors and resistors in the section you mentioned seems to be ok. I will attach pic in few minutes.
                            One more I think important information. The input voltage on the large transformer is 0V.

Comment

A picture you asked for
                              Attached Files

Comment

RT852 looks blown. Same appearance as in my pic above. IIRC it's a 100Ω.

T
                                Last edited by Toasty; 01-18-2014, 01:03 PM.
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

<<Both QM802/803 are brand new.>>

I know that. I'm saying check the power resistors right in front of them. Usually they go when one or the other FETs blow. Current limiters (fusible resistors).
                                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Oh yes, the power resistor is blown. That was the very first component I checked but I can swear it was good. Strange... ok I'll replace it and I'll report.
                                    Oh yes RT852 shows 168R.

Comment

Closest value I'got at home is 1.4R 5W. Do you think it would be ok just for tests?

Comment

@Toasty If he needed to rplace the Long Blue cap could he use one of these?
                                        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANASONIC-...=e100084.m1843

Comment

Good shot. I didn't find it because it is not in caps category. Thanks.
                                          Hopefully I won't need it and the new RT852 will sort it out.

Comment

Working...
                                          X