• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topcat
    replied
    Re: The 2020 Operating System Thread

Originally posted by donnie0511 View Post
    about telemetry on server 2016 it not installed until first round of updates and is auto enabled when updated and you can not opt out of updates because it is based on windows 10
    You can opt out of updates with win10pro with gpedit.

In Server, CEIP (telemetry) can be disabled in Server Manager.

In 10Pro, GPEDIT:
    Code:
    1) Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Internet Communication Management > Internet Communication settings

2) Then double-click the Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program policy.

3) Set to Enabled

4) Exit GPEDIT & Reboot
    Stop forced updates dead in their tracks in GPEDIT:
    Code:
    Administrative Templates > System > Internet Communication Management > Internet Communication Settings

Set the “Turn off access to all Windows Update features” to Enabled.

Leave a comment:

• donnie0511
    replied

about telemetry on server 2016 it not installed until first round of updates and is auto enabled when updated and you can not opt out of updates because it is based on windows 10

Leave a comment:

• Topcat
    replied

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
    Note, however, that 84.69% of all statistics are made up...
    We were talking about mainstream computers, not mainstream media!!

Leave a comment:

• Curious.George
    replied

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Allow me to rephrase: 99.9987% of those have one system they mainstream.
    Note, however, that 84.69% of all statistics are made up...

Leave a comment:

• Topcat
    replied

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
    That's not the case, for me, at all.

I deal with email/WWW on this (W7) box, prepare documentation on another W7 box, write code on a NetBSD box, check the code for portability on still another Solaris/SPARC box, run my VMs on an ESXi server, my core network services (ARP, DNS, NTP, etc.) are hosted on a small NetBSD server that's up 24/7/365, another NetBSD server handles my file repository/VCS/DBMS, next week I'll start a hardware design on another W7 box, then do the design for the enclosure on yet another, etc.

On any given day, the time spent on any particular machine will vary but none is truly "favored" (the machines are all powered up, but "sleeping", so I can sit down in front of any of them and be "working" within seconds).

It would simply be too difficult to maintain ONE machine (under one OS) that had all of the capabilities that I need. <shrug>
    Allow me to rephrase: 99.9987% of those have one system they mainstream.

Leave a comment:

• Curious.George
    replied

I (like you) have different systems for different things....but no matter who you are, we always have one system that we favor/gets used the heaviest....that's the 'mainstream' system.
    That's not the case, for me, at all.

I deal with email/WWW on this (W7) box, prepare documentation on another W7 box, write code on a NetBSD box, check the code for portability on still another Solaris/SPARC box, run my VMs on an ESXi server, my core network services (ARP, DNS, NTP, etc.) are hosted on a small NetBSD server that's up 24/7/365, another NetBSD server handles my file repository/VCS/DBMS, next week I'll start a hardware design on another W7 box, then do the design for the enclosure on yet another, etc.

On any given day, the time spent on any particular machine will vary but none is truly "favored" (the machines are all powered up, but "sleeping", so I can sit down in front of any of them and be "working" within seconds).

It would simply be too difficult to maintain ONE machine (under one OS) that had all of the capabilities that I need. <shrug>
    Last edited by Curious.George; 03-11-2020, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Topcat
    replied

in regards to carving server 2016 into a workstation i disabled telemetry enabled wifi sound cards works out of box the system itself is a hp workstation xw6600 8gb ram 1.75 tb hard drive space total
    On server versions, telemetry/CEIP should be disabled by default afaik....atleast it was in previous versions.

Leave a comment:

• donnie0511
    replied

in regards to carving server 2016 into a workstation i disabled telemetry enabled wifi sound cards works out of box the system itself is a hp workstation xw6600 8gb ram 1.75 tb hard drive space total

Leave a comment:

• Topcat
    replied

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
    I guess you since you asked it?
    I (like you) have different systems for different things....but no matter who you are, we always have one system that we favor/gets used the heaviest....that's the 'mainstream' system.

Leave a comment:

• Uranium-235
    replied

I guess you since you asked it?

guess you can say I have TWO mainstream systems, but since they're both forms of win 10 64 (diff being editions). The answer is obvious

side note: I develop .net on a virtualized version of 7 pro 32-bit on the lenovo flex

Leave a comment:

• Topcat
    replied

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
    Mainstream system? You'll have to be more specific
    ...and to whom were you addressing that question?

Leave a comment:

• Uranium-235
    replied

Mainstream system? You'll have to be more specific

Personal laptop - Lenovo flex 6 14 (touch). Win 10 64 home (didn't have a choice, but it works great anyways)

Gaming system - Custom. Win 10 Pro (newer games require it)

I use both those I guess my mainstream systems are Win 10

others include

Shop system - Custom (older - Phenom II 910) - Win7 pro 64

Housecall laptop - Lenovo, don't remember model - Win 7 pro. Won't use personal laptop because it's not cheap (though I bought lightly used from my sister, and upgraded the shit out of it). This lenovo is cheap, stolen or broken, not that big a deal

Leave a comment:

• Topcat
    replied

for home use windows 7 for work i have server 2016
    I've been wondering how S2k16 standard carves down into a workstation OS....I don't have a copy to test with.... S2K8 and S2K12 both were excellent for this.

Leave a comment:

• donnie0511
    replied

for home use windows 7 for work i have server 2016

Leave a comment:

• pfrcom
    replied

Currently dual-booting MX Linux and Win10 on several notebooks, with MX as default

Rarely boot Win10, usually only to apply updates

My tips for MX:

1. Change preferences via GUI MX Tools, no need to consider CLI

a. "MX Tweak" to change from "Display panel vertically" to "Display panel horizontally" (don't forget to click Apply after making change)

b. "Repo Manager" to change updates source (for Australians, I found Australia, Sydney - mirror.datamossa.io to be better than Melbourne's default)

c. "Boot Options" to set default O/S

I prefer MX version 18.3 to current 19, because they dropped some minor menu items (to date I've missed Solitaire and SMTube, both of which can be readily installed anyway)

Bundle includes Firefox, VLC, LibreOffice

I'm glad to have left *buntu behind - have dabbled with it since days when Canonical sent CDs through snail mail

Leave a comment:

• bigbeark
    replied

I am using Linux Mint 19.3 Mate 64-bit on all my machines. The only 32-bit machines that can cope at all seem to be Intel P4s with HyperThreading and those just barely. The oldest 64-bit machines I use are 939 dual cores.

Leave a comment:

• Dan81
    replied

Okay, let's see:

makn PC- Win10 Enterprise LTSC
    Sempron AM3 - XP SP3
    P3 CuMine Slot1 (original, not slotket) - Win98SE
    HP DV6000 - Win7 x86 SP1
    Acer Aspire 7520 - Win7 x64 SP1
    Acer Aspire 5536 - same
    Acer Aspire 5520 - same
    Dell Latitude E6400 - same as 7520 (is 10 capable by a long shot tho)
    ASUS X59SL - Win7 x64 SP1
    ASUS X51L - Win XP SP3
    Acer Aspire 5738Z - Win7 SP1 x64
    Compaq Armada E500 - Win98SE
    Compaq Armada 110 - Win2000 Pro SP4

That's about all. Not included is a AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 that I put up for sale, running 8.1.

Leave a comment:

• RukyCon
    replied

Still on Windows 7, even though support is ending really soon, i still plan on using it for the foreseeable future. But if i do have to "upgrade" in the future, then i will likely jump ship to Linux, but hopefully, that won't be for a few more years.

Leave a comment:

• Pentium4User
    replied

Lubuntu 19.10 with LXDE on main system
    Lubuntu 18.04 on laptop
    Debian 10 on Pentium M laptop

Leave a comment:

• momaka
    replied

This is going to be a hard choice. I'm really torn up between Windows XP and 7.

That's right, I still haven't ditched XP on what I call my "main" PC... which is what is hard to define now. And here's why: I consider my "main" computer the one on which I do work and store important things (taxes, documents, bills, personal photos, and etc.) To this day, the majority of all that is still handled by my ancient Pentium 4 Dell Optiplex 170L that I built back when I went back to college again (so around 2013.) For then, this PC was adequate for all of those things and even online browsing without any issues (Firefox 24 was considered a "solid" release by many folks back then, and everything worked on it.) But a few years after, all modern browsers eventually dropped support for XP. As such, I've been struggling to use my main PC on more and more websites (partially because newer versions of FF run like ass, and partially because some modern websites also use ridiculous scripts now, which hog resources on an old CPU like crazy.)

For these reasons, I've been setting up Windows 7 for myself to mess around on more and more. For example, I kicked off the beginning of last year by building a more "modern" gaming PC (for my timeline, anyways ) based on a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with... Windows 7. I also set up a HTPC/streaming PC for my parents based on Windows 7. Then I build several random PCs just to test their hardware stability... and these were all too old for XP, so they got Win7, again. Finally, starting this past spring when I got a new job, my work laptop also happens to be Windows 7 (technically I should have gotten a newer Windows 10 laptop, but our company's IT didn't have enough and I needed one for field work ASAP... so they found several old ones and let me pick one. Of course, I picked the older Dell Latitude E-series with Windows 7 ).

So technically, now my "true" _work_ PC is Windows 7, simply because that's what I use at work on day-to-day basis. And with my gaming and various other PCs I mess around with also on Windows 7... one could conclude I ought to vote Windows 7.

Yet, I vote for Windows XP.
    Why? -Because despite all of the above, I still use that old P4' Dell Optiplex 170L (that I still call "main" PC) very actively. Even on New Year's Eve, I was listening to music and organizing files on that PC... thus I just had to go with XP.

Will that change this year? - I don't know. All I know is that I do need to build a new "main" PC that can actually handle at least more of today's web than this dinosaur Pentium 4 box. I am still debating on whether to try and push XP for another year or move to Win7, though.

Yes, I've finally warmed up enough to Win7 that I actually consider it for use as a "main" PC. Ironic, as Windows 7 support is just ending at the beginning of this year. But hey, that's how my current main PC was set up too: when I cleaned it and installed XP on it back in 2013, that's when support for XP was ending. Look at how many years of use I've gotten out of it! - Almost 7!! Perhaps that in itself is (almost) a reason to switch to Win7 now??

I suppose we will see when that happens. Until then, this post (and probably many more still to come) is from my trusty XP box.

IMO Browser Support is what truly does an operating system in (in the consumer world anyway)....when mainstream browsers stop supporting Win7, then it's indeed obsolete.
    +10
    I couldn't agree more.
    This is precisely why I'm considering moving away from XP. Everything else I do on it is fine.
    Thankfully Badcaps.net is still a safe heaven for my outdated PCs with their old browsers.

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
    I voted Win7.
    And seeing how stubborn I am it will remain like that for a while I imagine
    Maybe I'll upgrade to 8.1 if security patches for Win7 does not get leaked.
    Sounds like a plan.
    That's what I'm thinking about doing when modern games stop supporting Windows 7. Then again, for gaming, I probably won't care that much if I ran 10.
    But for main PC... it will definitely be Windows 7 when I'm done with XP... and then probably 8.1 when 7 is too outmoded to work with anything.

But Windows 10?? :\ Ugh, I don't know about that.
    I've used it and I think it's actually not that bad compared to Win7. But like Win7, there are just things in the shell there that IMO really make no sense compared to XP. Moreover, the constant updates, especially when they change some of my settings (which I know they well might) would absolutely drive me crazy. For "main rigs", I like to set up the computer and then not mess with it anymore after that - especially on the software side (not unless something is critical or really needed.) Hardware-wise, I may sometimes infrequently do small upgrades or changes. But overall, that's a very rare case.

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    Anyone wireshark their phones, not really any different, demand more from phones before demanding more from win10...
    Yup, completely agree here.
    The problem is, majority of folks just don't care. They'll easily sign their life away just to continue to have their "social" media.

Me? I don't have anything to hide, so I couldn't care less about my privacy. But it's the fact that companies collect this information and make money off of it is what pisses me off. Even worse when they start sending you targeted advertising - especially in the mail!

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    I don't know what I'm going to do when my 10 year old nokia phone dies... So many things on it already failed, so it's on borrowed time...
    Well, it's the battery that'll probably make you have to give it in. The original, even if the best, will not last forever. I know, because my 12-year-old Samsung "dumb" phone is in that board - although its battery still holds a very good charge, it's starting to bulge! And the phone is just tired to death already, with most of the buttons starting to un-glue and fall out, and the cell antenna getting weak for whatever reason, as my coverage has gone from mediocre to hardly any.

Do you remember the days of having to do that manually?
    Yes.
    - Because I still do it that way.

Then again, my music collection is very tightly picked and thus not too large - I don't have the full albums of many artists (because there are very few artists from which I can say I like every song in their entire album.) And the type of music I listen to nowadays is mostly comprised of individual "singles". So all in all, it's not too hard to manually tag and manage.

Besides, I like grouping my music based on when I've heard it (rather than by artist or alphabetical order or genre... and etc.) As such, I have various songs from various artists and genres typically group in "seasonal" folders for every year. To anyone else, this "organization" is probably completely bizarre (if one can even say there is any organization.) But to me, it actually makes perfect sense in my head! (Yes, I actually know where every song is this way.)
    Last edited by momaka; 01-06-2020, 07:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X