Need help with CPU Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with CPU Question.

I have an Aopen MX46L. It will post fine with a Celeron 1.8ghz and Pentiun 4 2.40ghz. I get nothing to happen with a Celeron D 2.66ghz (which I was told was a working CPU). On my CPU list put out by Aopen 2.4ghz is the higherst listed for Celeron, no Celeron D is listed at all, and the highest listed for Pentium 4 is 2.60ghz. Is the fact that no Celeron D's were listed mean that they just won't work or is 2.66ghz beyond what the motherboard is capably of handling? Or is the Celeron 2.66ghz CPU bad? Thanks in advance. John

Re: Need help with CPU Question.

I don't know this motherboard, but as far as I can see, the newest BIOS was issued in 2002. That means that there are no support for newer processors, like the Celeron D. In the list you mentioned, there are no newer processors than those based on the Northwood core. This is not a speed issue, just that your motherboard will not support processors with Prescott core, like the first Celeron Ds, and newer processors. A new core means new features that has to be supported by BIOS and chipset. There are Northwood P4s upto 3.06 GHz, but since Aopen don't list them as compatible, I don't know if they will work on your motherboard.
    ------------
    Be a mensch

Comment

The p4 2.6 is actually a 2.66, the celeron D 2.66 is identical, just reduced cache and less instructions.

Besides, a 2.66 celeron D is SLOWER than a 2.4ghz p4, and it runs hotter. I had one in a emachines T3624, constantly overheated and was very slow, replaced it with a 2.4ghz p4 and it stopped overheading and was much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
        The p4 2.6 is actually a 2.66, the celeron D 2.66 is identical, just reduced cache and less instructions.

Besides, a 2.66 celeron D is SLOWER than a 2.4ghz p4, and it runs hotter. I had one in a emachines T3624, constantly overheated and was very slow, replaced it with a 2.4ghz p4 and it stopped overheading and was much faster.
        Actually, in general not true. Only generally true if you compare P4 and Celeron with the same core. There are P4s with 256 kB to 2048 kB cache, and Celerons with 0 to 1024 kB cache. Since most motherboards can use processors with more than one core(-generation), your statement is not useful comparing P4s and Celerons in general. You have to look at the specific processors to do any useful comparison. If I had to choose between a 2.0 GHz Willamette P4 and a 2.0 GHz Celeron D (Prescott core), I would have gone with the Celeron D without a doubt, as it features improvements as higher bus speed and support for SSE3 with the same cache size as the Willamette.
        Last edited by sofTest; 03-28-2009, 09:47 PM.
        ------------
        Be a mensch

Comment

Im just saying general most of the time the p4 is faster clock for clock than the celeron.

(i.e. a celeron 2ghz is maybe a defective 2.4ghz p4 that is downclocked and has some of the cache removed to make it more stable, so yes something like a 3ghz celeron D is actually a 3.4 or so p4, so it would have more instructions than a 3ghz p4.)

Comment

Did you update to latest BIOS revision? - R1.05 11/25/2002 ?
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
              Im just saying general most of the time the p4 is faster clock for clock than the celeron.

(i.e. a celeron 2ghz is maybe a defective 2.4ghz p4 that is downclocked and has some of the cache removed to make it more stable, so yes something like a 3ghz celeron D is actually a 3.4 or so p4, so it would have more instructions than a 3ghz p4.)
              There are to many variants of both P4s and Celerons to even say most of the time. As I said, only with celerons with the same or older core generation than the P4 you are comparing with, can you do that generalisation. With the newest processors even clock speed isn't a useful parameter for comparison.
              ------------
              Be a mensch

Comment

And keep in mind on different chipsets, some don't support later P4 designs like prescott on early chipsets is no go.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

i'd say that board only supports Willamette & Northwood cores.
                  Celeron D's are Prescott cores... so no go..

edit: ok i've searched for infos on that board.

Chipset: SiS 650
                  Willamette & Northwood only.
                  Max. FSB 100MHz (400MHz Quadpumped)

quite ancient.. lol
                  Last edited by Scenic; 03-29-2009, 10:32 AM.

Comment

So it sounds like the Celeron D 2.66ghz is too new for that motherboard and is probably in good working order (just not compatible)? Thanks for the input.

Comment

yep. those Northwood/Willamette-only boards simply won't POST with a Prescott based CPU (like the Celeron D)

Comment

Working...
                      X