• Show
Clear All

Lots of Fun Problems

Oh, where to start....
    Here are my system spec;
    • MSI MS-7151 Socket 939 Motherboard
    • AMD Athlon 64 3700 Single Core
    • One sitck of 1GB DDR 400 SDRAM
    • Nvidia Geforce 7300 PCI-e feeding one 19in CRT and one 17in CRT moniter.
    • Nvidia Geforce 6200 PCI feeding one 15in LCD and one 15/17in CRT
    • Audigy 2 ZS PCI soundcard
    • Generic TV tuner card
    • Windows 2000 SP4 (Dual boot with Win XP 64, not sure if that matters)

1.The two main monitors connected to my 7300 will occasionally “freeze”, where I can see the mouse cursor moving around, but I can't interact with anything. After a few seconds, either one or both monitors will quickly click off and then on again. This seems to happen to either moniter, or both at the same time, but only the ones connected to my GT 7300. I'm running my 19inch, my main, at it's highest refresh setting of 85hzfor the resolution of 1280x1024 and my 17in at the same resolution by with a refresh of 65hz

2.Sometimes if my computer has been on for a while, say 6+ hours, all of a sudden I have no audio, so I can't hear mp3's,some movies, and all flash files if I play them. I've tried removing and reinstalling the drivers for My Audigy 2 ZS, but the problem just comes up again. The last time it happened, I downloaded a program that removed all traces of the Audigy's files and drivers, and reinstalled third party drivers that claimed to address some of these issues.

3.If I try to install anything new and then reboot, windows 2000 tells me it can't load the hive that contains the information for my hardware (system hive?). It seems if the hive becomes larger then 6MB, Win2k refuses to load it. I have to go into my win xp 64 install and replace the registry with a backup. Is there a work around for this?

4.And that leads into this question. I would like to upgrade to Windows XP, but I'm not sure which flavor. I have a 64-bit processor, but I have a lot of hardware that most likely doesn't have driver support for Win XP 64. I have it on dual boot and like it, but I don't have all of my hardware enabled in that install either. I would also like to transfer my installs to a SATA drive either before or after the upgrade, but would this be possible, and in what order should I upgrade and transfer the data? Also I'm concerned the issues I'm having now might still exist after I upgrade, but I would like to retain my install if possible.

Re: Lots of Fun Problems

1. mhh... Asus GF7300 ?

my brother had exactly the same problems like you described with his Asus EN7300GT Silent (passive). reason is the crappy branded Asus driver (with that Splendid video enhancement crap that doesn't even work correctly)

uninstalling that Asus nvidia driver and re-installing a clean one (directly from nvidia.com) solved the problems... no driver-freezing (thats what it is ; driver hangs up and win tries to reload it..) anymore..

2. mhh... tried a different PCI slot....?

3. what do you mean with "hive" ? o.O
    if you mean the registry thingy, this may help..
    http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/685/

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
      1. mhh... Asus GF7300 ?

my brother had exactly the same problems like you described with his Asus EN7300GT Silent (passive). reason is the crappy branded Asus driver (with that Splendid video enhancement crap that doesn't even work correctly)

uninstalling that Asus nvidia driver and re-installing a clean one (directly from nvidia.com) solved the problems... no driver-freezing (thats what it is ; driver hangs up and win tries to reload it..) anymore..

2. mhh... tried a different PCI slot....?

3. what do you mean with "hive" ? o.O
      if you mean the registry thingy, this may help..
      http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/685/
      No it's a eVGA I do believe, and I might try switching PCI slots. And Win2k/XP divides up the registry into a couple differant files, like system, software, etc, called hives.

Comment

copying / moving partitions which contain windows installations is not an easy task. You face two problems:

1) the order in which ntldr enumerates the partitions: You can find out by trial and error. Copy the partitions using an appropiate utility. Then edit boot.ini booting with bartpe / winpe.
        2) whether or not you have the appropiate SATA drivers installed before copying the partitions to the SATA disk: download the SATA drivers for your motherboard's chipset, and install them before copying the partitions

As you can see, it might be simpler to just reinstall everything and be done with it.

Oh... and I forgot. Always install the OSs in chronological order.
        And when trying to copy partitions from one hdd to another, always copy the boot partition first (the active one, the one with ntldr).
        Last edited by jpdoe; 11-10-2008, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Ok, an update for the sound problem:
          I have to click a file twice for it to play. The play bar will progress, there will be NO sound. Playing it again will produce sound.
          Also, certain movies I have of the type (MVI, MPG, MPEG, MKV,OGM) won't play, but others of the same types will...
          I still have to get around to changing the PCI slot the card is in, but then I'll also have to mess with the registry before and after. x_x

Comment

using kX project drivers btw? if so, you should check for an update. the developers improve things all the time.
            "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

I'm sorry, it sounds like your Windows 2000 install is fubared. May be a shady piece of software.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
              X