Re: Norsat NewsLink laptop battery and charger

Thanks.
      I'll get right on that.
      Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

You can install Linux on a 2.5" IDE HD with a USB-to-IDE external 2.5" HD case or adapter, on any machine with a USB socket and a well-supported USB host chipset (just about any Intel, Via, ATI, ... chipset). The only tricky part is making it bootable, which requires fooling around with the grub.conf or lilo.conf and making it point to /dev/sda or similar.

It may still barf while booting on the target machine, because of LBA/geometry problems - just play around with different grub/lilo options.

FC3/FC4 will run fine even on PII/266, provided you use a lightweight window manager like XFCE.

Edit: That's a mobile coppermine or tualatin, probably ULV (ultra-low voltage). In combination with a 440MX, it's a bulletproof platform.
        Last edited by linuxguru; 09-18-2008, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Well, I really was thinking of just using Windows 2000 on it.
          The fact that the onboard video only has 8Mb of memory really limits down my Linux choices and I already have a system running Linux.
          I only need the thing to run Steam so I can play Half-Life, Counter strike and run a few other things like Word.
          Find Nedry!

Comment

8Mb does fine in a laptop.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
              8Mb does fine in a laptop.
              True though it pretty much eliminates playing any newer games.
              Find Nedry!

Comment

Manual shows Audio Out and MIC jack under cap on left side near power switch.
                Says: "Connects a Hi-Fi set."

Spec section says:

Integrated into Crystal codec CS4299, 20-bit stereo digital-to-analog
                and 18-bit stereo analog-to-digital converter, Windows Sound System
                compatibility and full-duplex capability.

10.4-inch TFT XVGA LCD, resolution up to 1024x768, 18-bit color.
                8 MB (built-in on VGA chip).
                Integrated into ATI RAGE Mobility-M1, MotionComp capability,
                hardware aid for DVD playback and dual view support.
                VGA port via optional docking station.

Ahhhhh HA HA HA HA

The most evil sound card I have ever experienced. No drivers for it from windows, and good luck finding working drivers! Same thing was integraded into my old p3 vectra vl600 board, eventually got the original hp vectra vl600 disk from hp.

And you could put XP on that. I have it running on my Dell inspiron 3500 with a p2/333 and 256mb ram, 4gb hard drive. Remember, xp will adjust how much ram it uses to how much you have, that laptop has 256, so xp uses about 120 when it runs. I can see why that picture said not to touch that one spot, thats where the processor is and it has no cooling device what so ever.
                Last edited by 370forlife; 09-19-2008, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                  Ahhhhh HA HA HA HA

The most evil sound card I have ever experienced. No drivers for it from windows, and good luck finding working drivers! Same thing was integraded into my old p3 vectra vl600 board, eventually got the original hp vectra vl600 disk from hp.

And you could put XP on that. I have it running on my Dell inspiron 3500 with a p2/333 and 256mb ram, 4gb hard drive. Remember, xp will adjust how much ram it uses to how much you have, that laptop has 256, so xp uses about 120 when it runs. I can see why that picture said not to touch that one spot, thats where the processor is and it has no cooling device what so ever.
                  I would go with XP if I just had at least 16Mb of video ram. 8Mb I think would just be a tad too little.

I can see why that picture said not to touch that one spot, thats where the processor is and it has no cooling device what so ever.
                  Well they did their best to spread it around.

The chipset on the other side has the same.
                  Find Nedry!

Comment

Ahhhhh HA HA HA HA

The most evil sound card I have ever experienced. No drivers for it from windows, and good luck finding working drivers!
                    Manufactures site I linked to up above has sound drivers for it for NT4, W98, W2k, and XP.

They should work for you too if it's the same sound chip.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

8mb is more than enough for xp, that VL600 had a 8mb millenium G250 in it. My lappy has a 2.5mb video card!!!

Comment

That's very good heatsink design, big flat area to spread heat out via heat pipes.

Um, you can read the fine print on the CPU, it is not 100mhz. I think could be 600, 700, 800, 900 or 1GHz PIII.

Comment

100mhz ->> FSB

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

By mfr specs it should be a 700Mhz on 100Mhz FSB.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

8mb is more than enough for xp, that VL600 had a 8mb millenium G250 in it. My lappy has a 2.5mb video card!!!
                              Yeah but I only have one copy of XP left (which I am saving for my PC) and I can install Windows 2000 sa many times as I want.
                              Find Nedry!

Comment

This may or may not work but you could try:

Your chipset supports 4 banks of memory.
                                A 256Mb Low Density Module is 2 bank.
                                A SO-DIMM slot can handle 4 bank.
                                If they completed the wiring from slot to chipset for the other banks (even though they were only expecting 2 bank) then it might handle a 4 bank module even though it wasn't advertised.
                                At the time the laptop was built 512Mb SO-DIMM Modules didn't actually exist much (if at all) in the open market and so wouldn't be mentioned in the old documentation.
                                It's not unusual for them to build something with contingencies for expected new technologies but to not mention it in the documentation if the technology isn't officially released yet by the time the machine is sold.
                                If you can find a 4-bank 512Mb module (!I don't even know if they exist in SO-DIMM!) and that wiring is in place the chipset might handle it like two 256Mb modules in to side-by-side slots.

I say this because:
                                Was a long time ago so I don't remember all the specifics but I worked on a 2 RAM slot laptop where the docs said 256Mb/slot max and I got a single 512Mb to work as long as second slot was left open.
                                -
                                *If* you slot is fully wired,,, a 4 bank module 512Mb module *should* work.

No warranty expressed or implied. -

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Hmmm, that might be worth testing.
                                  Now the thing would be I would have to find a compatible 512Mb SO-DIMM that if I found out does not work, I can return and just live with a 256.
                                  Find Nedry!

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148030

512mb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148027

256mb

Comment

Okay then, now I just need the money.
                                      Find Nedry!

Comment

Those are both only 2 bank modules.
                                        http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...E=CT64M64S4W75

If you want to try 512Mb it would likely have to be 4 bank.
                                        If 4 bank even exists it will be rare and hard to find.

256Mb pieces are fairly common and cheap on eBay anymore.
                                        Make sure it's 16 chips on the module and you should be okay.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Manufactures site I linked to up above has sound drivers for it for NT4, W98, W2k, and XP.

They should work for you too if it's the same sound chip.

Wait a sec, you found the drivers for this laptop?
                                          Could you help me out and supply a link to the page?
                                          Find Nedry!

Comment

Working...
                                          X