Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your opinion of Apple

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
    Did I mention this already: I hate Android with a passion!
    I am with you on this one

What I do not like about Android based devices is how many different operating systems they have and most applications have restrictions on what operating systems that can be used to even remotely run really
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%
    1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board
    All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I love defeating Apple's forced obsolescence.....but that said, not many apple products produced after ~2013 or so deserve to even exist.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        not many apple products produced after ~2013 or so deserve to even exist.
        ^This, though what really annoys me with apple is less apple itself and more their influence on the tech industry. If the apple fanboys want to keep buying their overpriced disposable junk that's fine, but these days it seems like everyone is playing copycat and copying many of apple's bad ideas/designs, and thus apple has become a cancer on the tec industry as a whole leading the "race to the bottom".

Comment

nobody i know likes apple
          there was one guy but they fucked him over with the bending phone issue and he switched to sony.

interestingly there is also an exodus away from samsung for acting like apple!
          one guy i know was 100% samsung addict and now owns all Huawei stuff.

i dont like sansung either - but for technical reasons, they wont program with the usual tools.
          you need some bloated shit that doesnt work well

Comment

What I do not understand is why you can not buy a phone that does not have the smart feature and let you decide what features you want on your phone and be done with it

Yea I know that this would almost be impossible to get but it would be nice if were not raped into buying what we really do not want

Safari on Apple iPhones are a joke at best because it either crashes or just refuses to open certain websites really are you kidding me if the website is unsafe then say that it is unsafe but just to refuse to open it is not acceptable
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-08-2023, 07:41 AM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
              What I do not understand is why you can not buy a phone that does not have the smart feature and let you decide what features you want on your phone and be done with it

Yea I know that this would almost be impossible to get but it would be nice if were not raped into buying what we really do not want

Safari on Apple iPhones are a joke at best because it either crashes or just refuses to open certain websites really are you kidding me if the website is unsafe then say that it is unsafe but just to refuse to open it is not acceptable
              One other issue I have with iPads is there bad habit of not clearing the memory when you close an application and there is no easy way to close all your websites searches unless you have Duck Duck Go which makes it a lot easier to do

But one issue I have with Duck Duck Go is that when you fireproof your website searches is that it also removes your login credentials and passwords which is annoying as it can be it should allow you to save them but if it has this feature I have not found it
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

on android you can install custom clean firmware and then just install apps you want.

i suspect they come bloated with shit because fuckers like microsoft PAY to have their spyware/social media crap pre-installed.

interestingly i know that Huawei lets you uninstall any app - they arent "locked" like on other phones.

Comment

I think Motorola lets you uninstall anything. They will at least let you uninstall the preinstalled TikTok. Maybe I don't fully know what is required by the OS, but everything I know of that isn't part of the OS can be removed.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  interestingly there is also an exodus away from samsung for acting like apple!
                  one guy i know was 100% samsung addict and now owns all Huawei stuff.

i dont like sansung either - but for technical reasons, they wont program with the usual tools.
                  you need some bloated shit that doesnt work well
                  Samsung's bloatware wants me to move to another brand for my next phone, but they make good batteries and promised five years of support. All of their consumer products require bloated software that doesn't work. Even the SSDs with buggy firmware don't have a simple firmware update utility. You need a bloatware package with always-on background stuff and a useless SMART monitor that just labels everything "OK."

Comment

SMART seems pointless with ssd's
                    they either work - or they dont.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      SMART seems pointless with ssd's
                      they either work - or they dont.
                      Pretty much. About the only thing useful is the TBW, though I've got some SSDs that have far exceeded their rated TBW and still work fine (though I wouldn't trust them for "critical" use), and most of the failures I've seen have been on fairly new drives so likely manufacturing defects rather than wear.

Comment

I have the latest MacBook and think my dell computer at similar cost is way better.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                          ^This, though what really annoys me with apple is less apple itself and more their influence on the tech industry. If the apple fanboys want to keep buying their overpriced disposable junk that's fine, but these days it seems like everyone is playing copycat and copying many of apple's bad ideas/designs, and thus apple has become a cancer on the tec industry as a whole leading the "race to the bottom".
                          100% correct....and this post brought to you from a once ~$10,000 MacPro 4,1 to 5,1 modded to run dual Westmeres @ 3.46GHz (12 cores +HT) & 64GB RAM that Apple abandoned....so now it's dual booting Win10 Enterprise & Linux Mint 21.2 (Mint 21.2 is the default OS). That's how I enjoy defeating Apple. I did the same with a 27" iMac that Apple left their customer hanging out to dry with forced obsolescence.... I put Windows 10 Enterprise (natively; no OSX / bootcamp) on it and gave it to my dad.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

I have worked "IT" the last 30 years. a mix of everything, home small business network pc repair. Corporate "IT" . retired from Lockheed Martin 2 years ago. we had a handful of people requiring Mac. supposedly Apple/ Mac's only make up 13% of the world's population of computing power. I found them annoying and overly proprietary. Most of the Mac population was in the graphics dept of the company I worked at. One time they came over to borrow a PC b/c their Mac's would not do something and a PC could. There are more apps/ games etc for PC's. I remember one time this guy at the church i go to was comparing his 15 year old PC to his new Mac laptop, LOL i just walked away laughing. my mac has this and this and this, the pc does not.
                            for fun every 4 months or so I pickup broken PC's and laptops from a PC repair shop. I have gotten 2 Macs they were AIO's, I get the folder icon on the screen which i was told needs an OS installed. The AIO needed a new hard drive, now these are not real new, about 7-10 years old. I could not for the life of me figure out how to get and install an apple OS onto it. no one out there on the internet did either it seems. gave them both away. I like PC's plain and simple.
                            Last edited by LA1; 11-11-2023, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              100% correct....and this post brought to you from a once ~$10,000 MacPro 4,1 to 5,1 modded to run dual Westmeres @ 3.46GHz (12 cores +HT) & 64GB RAM that Apple abandoned....so now it's dual booting Win10 Enterprise & Linux Mint 21.2 (Mint 21.2 is the default OS). That's how I enjoy defeating Apple. I did the same with a 27" iMac that Apple left their customer hanging out to dry with forced obsolescence.... I put Windows 10 Enterprise (natively; no OSX / bootcamp) on it and gave it to my dad.
                              the one item that everyone has taken onto on Laptops that apple started, was writing the model and serial numbers so small and in a slightly lighter color than the case color that even a 20 year old with 20/20 vision can't read

Comment

The clickpad is another stupid thing that everyone copied from Apple. That piece of shit is even on workstation-class laptops now (to save money - they don't have to stock an oversized clickpad for consumer laptops and a real touchpad at the same time).

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                  The clickpad is another stupid thing that everyone copied from Apple. That piece of shit is even on workstation-class laptops now (to save money - they don't have to stock an oversized clickpad for consumer laptops and a real touchpad at the same time).

And in some cases they even nearly copy complete designs. My Work HP Z-Book Studio G5 (my employer bought this thing, I didn't) is a pretty blatant MacBook Pro rip-off:

(I know a 15" MacBook Pro with a dedicated GPU would be a better comparison than this 13" one but I don't have any of those)

Right down to the piss-poor cooling. This rather pathetic heatsink/fan assembly has to cool a 6-core I7-9850H (45W TDP) and an Nvidia Quadro P1000 (47W TDP), it almost instantly thermally throttles under load, has uncomfortably hot exhaust, and has already been replaced once under warranty (at around 2 years old) due to fan bearing failure (and is a complete assembly so you can't just swap the bad fan, at least not easily and from HP) as the fans absolutely scream trying to cool this thing:

Attached Files

Comment

If you think that cooling is bad, wait until you see the Dell Precision 7670 and 7770. It will cook itself to death before the fans fail.

Anyway, we're going off-topic. I haven't used any remotely modern Apple stuff, but their ARM CPUs might be really fast. It's just a strange (maybe stupid) architecture with on-package RAM and a custom SSD controller.
                                    Last edited by lti; 11-12-2023, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                    X