Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That's a board so cute... but utterly pointless.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: That's a board so cute... but utterly pointless.

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
    I challenge you to find an use for this thing.
    I guess an MP3 jukebox. That VIA CPU should have enough power to decode MP3s, no?
    Maybe it will also run Counter-Strike 1.5 with bots? (provided a PCI video card is used).
    I don't know what else. Just shooting some ideas over here.

Originally posted by lti View Post
    Those benchmarks don't look right.
    Indeed.
    A 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 slower than a 1.4 GHz Pentium 3? WTF is passmark smoking??? Try an older game (Half Life 2, for example) on a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 and then on a 1.4 GHz Pentium 3. The results won't even compare. And video decoding/encoding? The Pentium 4 is hands-down faster.
    When I see that passmark page come up for a benchmark search, I always ignore it.

7 or so years ago, i sold one that had two slots of each. Two SDRAM, two DDR. It was a Socket A board. Funny thing about it was that it ran better and overclocked higher with SDRAM.
    ECS K7S5A?
    I got one too. Don't know if it works. It's overseas. Just got a bunch of Socket A CPUs last month, so when I get time next summer, I'll be trying it out .
    Last edited by momaka; 11-25-2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

ahhh K7S5A. My first self build motherboard. Cheap ass board that performs very well
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

^
        I built one of my first PCs with one of them. It died after something like a year, and the replacement K7S5A didn't last much longer. I've had nothing but trouble with ECS since, so I never use/recommend them. They are the only brand I consider to be worse than ASUS.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I challenge you to find an use for this thing
          Low power web server, DNS + DHCP, VPN, Router, Wireless AP, might do Active Directory, Firewall, etc.

The selling point from what i remember of these processors is their low power usage, they are actually quite useful when you pay $0.30/KWH.

It should run ubuntu server of pfSense pretty well

the gpu is probably better than a ATi Rage XL too

Comment

Working...
          X