Ratdude's main rig V3, maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's main rig V3, maybe

Spoke too soon; the audio is borked. The realtek/ADI 1981b AC97 codec doesn't show up... but the AMD 8111 audio controller does. While I do get sound output, the volume slider/mute checkbox does nothing (stuck at full blast).

Every driver for XP x64 and my chip I've tried has BSOD'd it or made it fail to boot (midway botting it hard restarts). I can get by since my speakers have a volume knob, however, this makes anything beyond a basic keybord useless to me.

Tempted to use a clone of what was in my old rig audio wise... But I doubt it has xp x64 support. (edit- it doesn't)
    Last edited by ratdude747; 05-17-2013, 02:55 PM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

is the AGP driver installed? try and play a game, thats when XP messed up for me without the uli agp driver installed
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        is the AGP driver installed? try and play a game, thats when XP messed up for me without the uli agp driver installed
        There wasn't one for xp x64... but I did try some gaming and it ran without a glitch. This is an audio issue, not a graphics issue.-
        sigpic

Comment

is the ac'97 soundmax enabled in the cmos? you know what fuck that. Disable both, put a cheap sound card in there, you have 1 pci slot and like 4 pci-x (compatible pci) slots

correction, I think those PCI-X slots aren't pci compatible

Comment

If you can't find drivers for xp x64, search for windows 2003 64 bit , it's the same stuff.

same for windows xp 32 bit and windows 2000, most are compatible ...

Comment

is the ac'97 soundmax enabled in the cmos? you know what fuck that. Disable both, put a cheap sound card in there, you have 1 pci slot and like 4 pci-x (compatible pci) slots

correction, I think those PCI-X slots aren't pci compatible
              The slots will work with an PCI card 3.3V compatible. All my PCI cards are in those, as I have the single 5V slot open.

It is... and it showed up in every other OS I used.

I personally know of only a few sound cards with Front audio headers... I own two of them, and the one in use depite being made by VIA apparently does have support. I need to solder on a new header connector but I may give it a spin.

edit- no bueno. Card is toast (AC'97 header's solder pads are ripped).
              Last edited by ratdude747; 05-17-2013, 03:34 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                If you can't find drivers for xp x64, search for windows 2003 64 bit , it's the same stuff.

same for windows xp 32 bit and windows 2000, most are compatible ...
                No luck, turned up the same junk.

edit- while removing another filaed driver in safe mode, I found out that the Amd 81111 and the ADI/realtek 1981b are the same system device... so the real issue is that the inbuilt only AMD 8111 driver doesn't support volume control (or the digital coax output).

Now we know why topcat got the boards cheap...
                Last edited by ratdude747; 05-17-2013, 03:40 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

I still have my board

its not EATX, but it should work. What opterons do you have?

Comment

I still have my board

its not EATX, but it should work. What opterons do you have?
                    Didn't I say I wasn't interested?

End of discussion on it.
                    sigpic

Comment

you seem to be back at the drawing board. Have you tried xp32?

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        Spoke too soon; the audio is borked. The realtek/ADI 1981b AC97 codec doesn't show up... but the AMD 8111 audio controller does. While I do get sound output, the volume slider/mute checkbox does nothing (stuck at full blast)
                        Maybe not.

You must have the specific driver for that setup.

This:
                        Originally posted by ratdude747
                        Slipstreamed SP2 (equiv of SP3 x32) and I didn't need any audio drivers... everything else I have found drivers for (even my webcam and tv tuner).
                        is a guaranteed disaster.

That AMD811 talks to the ADI/Realtek- I hate these bastard audio setups. Had an old Analog Devices Windows sound system card in my long-gone win95 system. Winblows kept insisting on "forcing" its built-in driver that supposedly matched the profile of the board's controller. The "slider" values were all wrong. I'd have full line level with "Master" maybe a third of the way up. In addition, all other sources were grossly distorted unless, they too, were about 33% or less. I'm not sure, but I think the balance controls were also reversed.

Windows always had audio problems like this on older hardware, unless it was a bog-standard SB16.
                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                        Originally posted by shango066
                        All style and no substance.
                        Originally posted by smashstuff30
                        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                          Maybe not.

You must have the specific driver for that setup.

This:

is a guaranteed disaster.

That AMD811 talks to the ADI/Realtek- I hate these bastard audio setups. Had an old Analog Devices Windows sound system card in my long-gone win95 system. Winblows kept insisting on "forcing" its built-in driver that supposedly matched the profile of the board's controller. The "slider" values were all wrong. I'd have full line level with "Master" maybe a third of the way up. In addition, all other sources were grossly distorted unless, they too, were about 33% or less. I'm not sure, but I think the balance controls were also reversed.

Windows always had audio problems like this on older hardware, unless it was a bog-standard SB16.
                          Yeah, it must be borked as every "xp x64" driver for the adi/realtek chip either BSODs during the install or causes a hard reboot during bootup after the required restart.

WAY TO F**KING GO TYAN AND AMD! YOU MADE AN x64 BOARD THAT WON'T WORK WITH ANY x64 OS! F**K YOU!

(stepping off soapbox)

you seem to be back at the drawing board. Have you tried xp32?
                          why do that? My 16gb of RAM goes down the toilet (I can't really do anything productive with more than 12gb under x32 even after ramdisking PAE excess). Kinda self defeating (as compared to V2), wouldn't you say?
                          sigpic

Comment

May have a way out... Asus Xonar cards have HDA audio (what this case was built for, the AC97 adapter is half-functional), and they also apparently have xp x64 drivers. I may get a cheap one for cheap on ebay and see.

edit- yup, the xonar DG (what I was originally going to put in V2) has XP x64 drivers... going to try to snare one.
                            Last edited by ratdude747; 05-17-2013, 09:25 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                              Yeah, it must be borked as every "xp x64" driver for the adi/realtek chip either BSODs during the install or causes a hard reboot during bootup after the required restart.

WAY TO F**KING GO TYAN AND AMD! YOU MADE AN x64 BOARD THAT WON'T WORK WITH ANY x64 OS! F**K YOU!

(stepping off soapbox)

You've got my permission to remain on your soapbox- I'll share something similar that I went through.

Back around 2002-2003, I "had to have" one of those awful $100 tigerdirect MB+CPU scams. The MB was this "Albatron" KM266 thing, the CPU was a 1.3GHZ duron, with a whole 64KB of L2 cache. I even fell for the $20 case, with "power supply."

Keep reading, it gets better.

I was always having audio problems with this one. Random clicks specifically. I'd have a wav playing, and while mousing around, these little pops wouldn't go away! It was almost like conflicting/"colliding" IRQs on an old jumper based card. I tried another "power supply," this time a deer. No difference.

I fought with that stupid thing for a year or so, then gutted it and put in an Intel 865GBF with a 2GHZ prescott. Wanted a Northwood...

This was before I knew of newegg. Before that horrible Albatrash thing, I had one of those SOYOs- the bad caps weren't enough, "fake cache" was part of that deal.

What a rough "learning phase." I've gotten much better...

edit- yup, the xonar DG (what I was originally going to put in V2) has XP x64 drivers... going to try to snare one.
                              Ahh, you're going through the "tries multiple sound cards" phase... I don't miss those days at all. Props to you, Larry, you've got more patience than I do for that old stuff!
                              Last edited by kaboom; 05-17-2013, 09:29 PM.
                              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

(stepping off soapbox)
                                I bought 4 of those boards used years ago dirt ass cheap, just to harvest the 4GB of reg/ECC ram they each had in them, I needed the 16gb for another server that used a much newer/nicer dual 940 board... I did nothing more than POST test them and sell them off cheap....including the one you're now fighting with..... I guess I should have used them as clay pigeons!!!
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                Team : 49813
                                Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                  I bought 4 of those boards used years ago dirt ass cheap, just to harvest the 4GB of reg/ECC ram they each had in them, I needed the 16gb for another server that used a much newer/nicer dual 940 board... I did nothing more than POST test them and sell them off cheap....including the one you're now fighting with..... I guess I should have used them as clay pigeons!!!
                                  heehee, nice...
                                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102007

it has an HD header. I'll throw it in for +$15 /w the video card

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102007

it has an HD header. I'll throw it in for +$15 /w the video card
                                      That's what v2 has pretty much. No xp x64 support afaik. Granted, mines a ailenware/hp only version... but the asus option is known to have drivers.

Oh, in case the cpu z link didn't tell you, I got the ati card to work... so I don't need the nvidia card. Sorry for not clarifying that.
                                      sigpic

Comment

This PC I am on is very sick not to mention its on HugesNet up in them mountains. Lar sorry I wrecked your world with that board. Its still a way good board but there are issues to be worked around. If I had tried to build a system around it that board would have already been smashed to bits. Don't give up on it. When you hit the right hardware combo its going to work just fine. I think if you go to the home page for that mobo drivers can still be found for it. I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but can you build a driver?
                                        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                        Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts View Post
                                          This PC I am on is very sick not to mention its on HugesNet up in them mountains. Lar sorry I wrecked your world with that board. Its still a way good board but there are issues to be worked around. If I had tried to build a system around it that board would have already been smashed to bits. Don't give up on it. When you hit the right hardware combo its going to work just fine. I think if you go to the home page for that mobo drivers can still be found for it. I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but can you build a driver?
                                          without the hardware specifications and years of C training and knowledge of building drivers, usually not

Comment

Working...
                                          X