Ratdude's main rig V3, maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's main rig V3, maybe

Another facepalm... I was wondering why windows 7 kept b*tching about my USB ports only working at usb1.1... only to find that they really are USB1.1.

Sorry, but I'm calling epic fail. The thing is new enough to boot USB flash drives... but no usb 2.0? Really? Looks like I really need to grab that usb card then (and also dig out a usb.2.0 powered hub to reach the back).
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      Another facepalm... I was wondering why windows 7 kept b*tching about my USB ports only working at usb1.1... only to find that they really are USB1.1.

Sorry, but I'm calling epic fail. The thing is new enough to boot USB flash drives... but no usb 2.0? Really? Looks like I really need to grab that usb card then (and also dig out a usb.2.0 powered hub to reach the back).
      there are some cards out there with 2.0 ports and a header for the front ports
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        there are some cards out there with 2.0 ports and a header for the front ports
        I know; I have one on a belkin dual firewire/USB (3 internal USB).

However, they ain't bootable... and due to my cable routing design things work better if the header cables are kept to the leading edge of the mobo. And it's also a waste of USB ports (my new design is USB heavy).
        sigpic

Comment

why do you need bootable USB ports?

I have your card ready to be tested, I just need a HD and CD drive, install XP...do probably a 3dmark 2003 test on it or something

Comment

I think the system might be a dud.

With the ATI card, it works until you install drivers, which after which the sytstem locks up within a few minutes of being logged in. Works fine in safe mode.

With the Nvidia 6600 card, it works for a few bootups then hangs on the welcome screen after logging in. Works fine in safe mode.

Linux doesn't work (kernel panic) on the ATI. The nvidia card did the same thing.

Any suggestions? Or Do I have an Eatx turd?
            sigpic

Comment

did you install the AMD AGP 8151 driver?

Comment

I think the system might be a dud.

With the ATI card, it works until you install drivers, which after which the sytstem locks up within a few minutes of being logged in. Works fine in safe mode.

With the Nvidia 6600 card, it works for a few bootups then hangs on the welcome screen after logging in. Works fine in safe mode.

Linux doesn't work (kernel panic) on the ATI. The nvidia card did the same thing.

Any suggestions? Or Do I have an Eatx turd?
                This is the problem I had when using SATA, and why the board was unusable for me.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                  This is the problem I had when using SATA, and why the board was unusable for me.
                  What OS?
                  sigpic

Comment

I got it to run under linux and the ati via a fresh dvd (stable, not beta). Nvidia was a no go.

Ati has no current linux drivers for that card (at least without rolling back xorg) so it's more ofa proof of concept.

Is it possible that my PSU isn't up to par? (it gets very hot).
                    sigpic

Comment

did you install the AMD AGP 8151 driver?
                      No, there isn't one for windows 7... is there?
                      sigpic

Comment

No, there isn't one for windows 7... is there?
                        which is why I must bash you for making rigs with, even though server grade, old boards. No there is no driver for 7

I've encountered these kinds of problems before with AGP ports that require a special driver. They're classed to take a PCI bridge driver, but have mainly performance issues without thier own driver. ULI (ali) had a problem with this a few motherboards ago on one of my rigs

the AGP controller in most old motherboards is built into the northbridge, here, you have an AGP CHIP, separate from the northbridge. It does not surprise me conflicts might come up, and that AMD abandoned support for it.

you wonder if its a power issue. Find any other good PSU, short the ON pins, and plug that fucker into the video card

I have a funny feeling this is an AGP issue, and bet if you installed XP and loaded the AGP driver (if you can find it, AMD's site no longer has it), that you could run 3dmark without a hitch

with all the $$$ you spent on these rigs, you could of built a decent ivy-bridge system that could kick the ass of those you've tried combined. I see why you would want workstation class boards and heavy duty stuff, but this is the 3rd time something has come up to fuck the project over. You can get a good quality gigabyte board and a celeron 1610 and be done with it already

here:
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-X...item1c32524621

here is a new supermicro board with PCI-E 8x. Take a dremil and cut the ends of the ports off and a 16x card should work in there

*sigh*. I *DO* have a dual opteron MSI board, uses s604 heatsinks (and I only have one). But it only has 4 mem slots (DDR 400 ecc reg). I believe its a VIA chipset

Comment

which is why I must bash you for making rigs with, even though server grade, old boards. No there is no driver for 7

I've encountered these kinds of problems before with AGP ports that require a special driver. They're classed to take a PCI bridge driver, but have mainly performance issues without thier own driver. ULI (ali) had a problem with this a few motherboards ago on one of my rigs

the AGP controller in most old motherboards is built into the northbridge, here, you have an AGP CHIP, separate from the northbridge. It does not surprise me conflicts might come up, and that AMD abandoned support for it.

you wonder if its a power issue. Find any other good PSU, short the ON pins, and plug that fucker into the video card

I have a funny feeling this is an AGP issue, and bet if you installed XP and loaded the AGP driver (if you can find it, AMD's site no longer has it), that you could run 3dmark without a hitch

with all the $$$ you spent on these rigs, you could of built a decent ivy-bridge system that could kick the ass of those you've tried combined. I see why you would want workstation class boards and heavy duty stuff, but this is the 3rd time something has come up to fuck the project over. You can get a good quality gigabyte board and a celeron 1610 and be done with it already

here:
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-X...item1c32524621

here is a new supermicro board with PCI-E 8x. Take a dremil and cut the ends of the ports off and a 16x card should work in there

*sigh*. I *DO* have a dual opteron MSI board, uses s604 heatsinks (and I only have one). But it only has 4 mem slots (DDR 400 ecc reg). I believe its a VIA chipset
                          It's a long story that I'm not going to retell. Let's just say I don't want a run of the mill rig. It's something about old server hardware I like.

Noted on the AGP. Windows acted like no driver was needed so I figured the driver was already ported to 7 and built in.

I'm going to linux it up then... which requires an Nvidia GPU as there are no ATI AGP cards with current xorg support (the last legacy driver focused on speed not compatibility). Still doable.
                          sigpic

Comment

It's a long story that I'm not going to retell. Let's just say I don't want a run of the mill rig. It's something about old server hardware I like.

Noted on the AGP. Windows acted like no driver was needed so I figured the driver was already ported to 7 and built in.

I'm going to linux it up then... which requires an Nvidia GPU as there are no ATI AGP cards with current xorg support (the last legacy driver focused on speed not compatibility). Still doable.
                            you don't want a 'run of the mill' rig, most people have to pay high prices for that

the hardware ID's make it compatible for a PCI bus driver, but the PCI bus driver does not play correctly after drivers are finally installed and it runs using AGP Acceleration

what kind of dual processors and ram do you have lying around? you could ebay an LGA 771 with x8 PCI-E and probably get that to work. Asus makes some single-socket LGA1155 Xeon /w PCI-E 16x. Hell I built one of those for my sisters ex. 16GB Sandy bridge xeon, win7 Pro, good Nvidia card

If you want windows on this motherboard you're going to have to go XP

Comment

you don't want a 'run of the mill' rig, most people have to pay high prices for that

the hardware ID's make it compatible for a PCI bus driver, but the PCI bus driver does not play correctly after drivers are finally installed and it runs using AGP Acceleration

what kind of dual processors and ram do you have lying around? you could ebay an LGA 771 with x8 PCI-E and probably get that to work. Asus makes some single-socket LGA1155 Xeon /w PCI-E 16x. Hell I built one of those for my sisters ex. 16GB Sandy bridge xeon, win7 Pro, good Nvidia card

If you want windows on this motherboard you're going to have to go XP
                              Not doing XP on twin monitors. PITA since you can't click and drag windows around in the same way (you have to unmaximise and remaximise them manually). I'm linuxing it instead, assuming I can get it to quit kernel panicking the live disc. Right now I'm remixing the image with updates... if that doesn't work, I'll have to find some other way...

My RAM is DDR1, 400 Speed. CPU wise, I have nothing newer sitting (minus the 1.8ghz Pentium Dual core in the remains of my HTPC).
                              sigpic

Comment

how many sticks do you have?

this is what I have

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130436

one MSI heatsink, one missing heatsink, but they take 604 heatsinks

Comment

how many sticks do you have?

this is what I have

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130436

one MSI heatsink, one missing heatsink, but they take 604 heatsinks
                                  8 sticks.

Not interested, 604 heatisnks are a pain (been there done that already). If you had a Tyan thunder K8WE then we'd be talking (but they're $100 on ebay)

I saw this:

http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/f_s2885.html

I hope #3 is outdated. If it is, then FML, as I have no Xp x64 COA's.
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 05-16-2013, 09:23 PM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Ubuntu gnome was a fail. Trying fedora... But I bet it has the same issue. How ironic, a server rig with piss poor linux support. F**k you AMD.

The good news is that I think I found a way to make XP work with twin monitors in the way I'd like (Aero Snap emulation):

http://www.askvg.com/aquasnap-get-wi...-xp-and-vista/

The bad news is that I don't know how much of my stuff I can get to work with it... I may very well have a $200 Stillborn on my hands here.
                                    sigpic

Comment

I can respect the fact you're trying this, but these are old workstation boards at best, ment for XP + AGP Pro card for cad programs. Trying to get them working with new OS's that require a special driver for this "AGP Tunnel" is where your problem comes in

Most motherboards now a day do not even have 16x pci-e slots, only 8x for an extended number of hardware raid controllers. Even at THAT, it might be for naught. I cut a geforce 8400 GS down to 8x and put it in my poweredge 1800 8x slot. Dell logo came up, installed win7, as soon as I loaded the drivers boom, black screen. Put a PCI FX 5200 in there and XP and it was slow as shit, even though it was a 3ghz dual HT xeons with 2GB of ram. Runs fine with ubuntu server. See server boards aren't really focused for desktop usage, for a good reason, its waisted resources. Have a bare integrated video for the linux text console or win server. Notice how server 2008 does not have the 'dx9' requirement that 7 does? THIS is the reason.

I can take a shot of that thread in that 604 heatsink if you want, I know you at one time had 604 heatsinks

if you want a 'different' computer, heres something PCBonez (god rest his soul I assume) taught me. There are these low voltage dual core xeons, and they're cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-2...item20c961d88e

the motherboard is priced good as well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Dual-X...item35c0ef7e17

you'll need ecc reg ddr2 tho. Again, it only has an 8x slot, and a 16x card might not like it. This is cause its a server board.

supermicro does indeed have a new workstation board listed on its site with an AMD LGA 1944 socket. It is E-ATX, but as you can tell, it has a severe lack of PCI slots and USB ports.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...irtualParent=1
                                      Last edited by Uranium-235; 05-17-2013, 03:01 AM.

Comment

No need, as So far Xp x64 has been a win. Slipstreamed SP2 (equiv of SP3 x32) and I didn't need any audio drivers... everything else I have found drivers for (even my webcam and tv tuner).
                                        sigpic

Comment

http://valid.canardpc.com/2805965

Runs great. will take pics in a bit.

edit- attached my current temps and the like.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by ratdude747; 05-17-2013, 01:46 PM.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X