Which browser is better???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which browser is better???

I wonder if the Chrome updater was what I thought was malware here.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    Should have seen my roommates' faces when they saw me bringing a 21" beige CRT in my room, along with a beige Dell QuietKey keyboard .
    My dad wants me to throw away my old CRT monitor and replace it with one of those $89 widescreen monitors from Wal-Mart. My computer was made even before TVs were widescreen, and my desk is only big enough for a 15" CRT or 17" LCD anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
      I wonder if the Chrome updater was what I thought was malware here.

My dad wants me to throw away my old CRT monitor and replace it with one of those $89 widescreen monitors from Wal-Mart. My computer was made even before TVs were widescreen, and my desk is only big enough for a 15" CRT or 17" LCD anyway.
      Agreed that the wally world lcds suck. Heck, one can sometimes get 17" 1280x1024 used ones for far far less. As in $10 plus a recap.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

[QUOTE=lti;306937]I wonder if the Chrome updater was what I thought was malware here.
        Could be.
        Get Sysinternals Process Explorer and see if setup.exe is associated or running under any other process.

Originally posted by lti View Post
        Not worth the money (for a new monitor). Worth it if it's cheap or free. I got a 19" 5:4 Wisewing on CL for free a few years ago. Was actually decent inside. Just needed 4 CapXon caps replaced.

Comment

Search eBay for some cheap 19" lcd, in working condition. Should get one easily for 20-40$.

I'd dump the crt monitor even if it's good because in time it hurts your eyes. LCD monitors don't have flicker and rays and issues with convergence (and other things related to screen not beeing flat).

They also consume less power if the above don't help enough.

Comment

Could be.
            Get Sysinternals Process Explorer and see if setup.exe is associated or running under any other process.
            When I posted about every browser sucking, my laptop's fan suddenly spun up to full speed. A program called setup.exe started running, which claimed to be the updater for Chrome (Windows 7 shows the description for every running process). Chrome was installed from the factory, and I never uninstalled it, even though I don't use it because of the page loading issue.
            Originally posted by mariushm View Post
            Search eBay for some cheap 19" lcd, in working condition. Should get one easily for 20-40$.

I'd dump the crt monitor even if it's good because in time it hurts your eyes. LCD monitors don't have flicker and rays and issues with convergence (and other things related to screen not beeing flat).

They also consume less power if the above don't help enough.
            I have a dead 17" LCD to repair. I just need to wait a few weeks for parts to arrive from China.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
              I'd dump the crt monitor even if it's good because in time it hurts your eyes.
              Off topic, but I have to say I disagree here. I use my computer a lot, especially in the late evenings when it's dark. LCD backlights are simply too bright for my eyes, and often I find that I cannot dim LCDs low enough to make them comfortable to use (if I dim them down too much, then they loose too much contrast). CRT doesn't have that problem because it does not use a backlight - you can dim it without loosing contrast. The only thing that you really need to make sure to do when using a CRT is to bump up the vertical refresh rate to no less than 85 Hz.

Comment

I'm getting sick of cut-off downloads in Firefox. It also will occasionally "cut off" a webpage and keep doing so for every subsequent time you (attempt to) load it until you clear the cache.

Comment

For me, FF 3.6 is starting to give me grief with javascript on most Yahoo! pages. I blame Yahoo!, though - their pages always suck and run like shit even on decent computers.

Comment

For me, FF 3.6 is starting to give me grief with javascript on most Yahoo! pages. I blame Yahoo!, though - their pages always suck and run like shit even on decent computers.
                    YouTube streaming is worse. Struggles, even with 14 Mb internet service!

YouTube can suck my dick for also nagging me to change my nick! That's harassment!

YouTube is soo pushy lately. Lately, a stinky my-way-or-the-highway 'tude!
                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-18-2013, 09:23 PM.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                    X