Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newer stuff that isn't better

Originally posted by lti
    Windows XP is more stable, so any BSOD is such a major error that the operating system can not continue to run. It is possible to get a major error like that in Windows 98 as well, and attempting to continue will either bring up a black screen or another BSOD.
    98SE does seem to like BSODing more for no tenable reason, but it can be fun. I have to admit I had the guilty pleasure of "holding down" the space bar or whatever key (since it said press "any key" to continue) when the inescapable BSOD came up in Windows 98, and I'm sure you know what happened after...

Sometimes, "illegal operation" errors wouldn't go away too. You'd click "okay" and it would pop up again. And yeah, few things irk me more than having all sorts of unnecessary apps running in the background and in the system tray.

Comment

want to know how to hard freeze windows 95?

open two windows in explorer

keep alt+tab down and while its quikly showing the window select freak out...keep alt and tab down and then press ctrl and del
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

It's easier to just type in the run box c:\con\con

and as a bonus it should work in Windows 98 and I think Internet Explorer of that time as well.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc
          Some of the BSODs in 98 were silly, 'DISK NOT FOUND IN DRIVE A:' - that really doesn't require a BSOD.
          Originally posted by Iti
          Windows 98 did have a lot of stupid BSODs. If Windows thinks a removable storage device is still being used by a program, it will BSOD. ...
          Those just reminded me of when I was working (not even three weeks ago!) on my Dad's old Acer minitower, which has Windows 98 SE installed. I put a badly treated Windows 98 SE CD in the drive (couldn't find my good copy), and after a few minutes of reading attempts, I took it out and the computer displayed a BSOD asking to reinsert the CD-ROM into the drive. :/ It wouldn't even go away until I did so! So yeah, proving the quoted statements right there.

BSOD: "Please Reinsert the CD-ROM labeled 'WIN 98 SE' into the CD-ROM Drive and Press Enter". I mean, WTF.
          Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
          I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

^
            You really couldn't make that machine run win2k? I havent touched a win9x system in over a decade!!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

It's installed as a second boot. He just doesn't use it. Forgot to mention that.
              Last edited by Ami Sapphire; 05-17-2012, 10:09 PM.
              Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
              I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Ami Sapphire View Post
                ...I took it out and the computer displayed a BSOD asking to reinsert the CD-ROM into the drive. :/ It wouldn't even go away until I did so! So yeah, proving the quoted statements right there.
                To be fair, WinXP will also come to a halt sometimes when an optical drive is reading a scratched disc... Take a heavily deteriorated CDRW and put it in your CDRW... It will bring it to its knees. Luckily, I have a way to forcibly erase any CDRW.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                  To be fair, WinXP will also come to a halt sometimes when an optical drive is reading a scratched disc... Take a heavily deteriorated CDRW and put it in your CDRW... It will bring it to its knees. Luckily, I have a way to forcibly erase any CDRW.
                  I know that just too well. XP starts acting as if it's installed on a Pentium II. And if you do that on IDE DVD drives it also forces them into PIO mode, so the drive will be slow as eff afterwards till you set it back to DMA mode manually. PITA.

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                  Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  I can't remember the last time win2k or XP gave me a BSoD.....
                  yeah same here, and forever since i've seen 7 give me a bsod too
                  My heavily customized (feels more like XP) Win7 Ultimate 64Bit install is 2 1/2 years old now, and in the whole time I've had 5 BSODs according to the system logs, all but one caused by buggy graphics card drivers (minidump analysis).
                  The one time where it wasn't the gfx driver, it was a bad RAM stick (old 1GB DDR2 stick I kept from my previous build)

Not too bad if you ask me. And according to Aida64, my current uptime (without a reboot) is 46 days 10 hours. Stable enough for me

Still doesn't beat my "redneck NAS" though. Ancient Toshiba Satellite 2550CDT laptop (Celeron 366MHz) with a USB 2.0 cardbus card and external 3.5" HDDs for LAN storage.

As I don't have to reboot it to change HDDs (being USB), I simply never did.. lol
                  And that's running XP Pro SP3.

Comment

NT-based Windows is more picky about hardware.

And XP can BSOD when 98 SE don't with an unstable CPU core overclock.

Windows NT-based Windows is more intolerant about hardware than Windows 95-based Windows.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                    X