Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bad cap manufacturers - please post yours here

Originally posted by davmax
    Very surprised to see Sanyo listed as "bad cap". What was the experience that caused a listing?
    i have seen some in ccfl inverters that may have suffered from excessive heat.
    i have not seen any fail on a mobo.

Comment

Originally posted by davmax
      Very surprised to see Sanyo listed as "bad cap". What was the experience that caused a listing?
      Same here... I use Sanyo when I fix mainboards, powersupplies, switches etc etc... Never ever seen one fail...

I vote for having them on the good caps list...
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

where is sanyo listed as badcap? are you talking about the dutch site referenced earlier in the thread? sanyo is certainly on our good list.
        Last edited by willawake; 01-04-2006, 11:29 AM.
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
          where is sanyo listed as badcap? are you talking about the dutch site referenced earlier in the thread? sanyo is certainly on our good list.
          Yea I was, thanks for the clarification
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

What some people may interpret as PCE-TUR is actually a "JP" logo, and the series is "CE-TUR". "CE" probably stands for "Capacitor Electrolytic" and "TUR" is the series (I found data for the TUR series on http://www.0759.net/products/ecap/ecap_e/14-15.htm which may be correct, even though the pictues on the site do not show the "JP" logo). Probably "JP" stands for Jen Pan.
            My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

good info. here are pics to compare.

PCE-TUR

TUR series
              Attached Files

Comment

Just spotted a slightly bulging Sanyo 1500uf 6.3v on an Asus P5A-B that has been giving my sister some problems. The board doesn't always POST (especially when one resets it after it's been running a while), and it frequently loses contact with the ISA slots.

The rest of the caps consist of one OS-CON and one Rubycon. All others are Sanyo and look to be in great shape. The board is nice and stable when you can get it going. I'm just going to replace that one Sanyo I think and see how it does.

Comment

That's strange, please post pictures and also what model it is...

Is it right next to something that gets really hot?

Comment

I'll have to wait to recap it for pictures, but will make sure to post one at that time. Forgot to check what model it is. The cap is the largest on the board and is right next to the memory slots about 2" above the AGP slot. It would have been directly above the STB Voodoo Banshee the board was running, which used to burn my fingers if I touched the heatsink by accident (I put a fan on it when the boot problems showed up).

Every other cap on the board looks perfect.

Comment

Well, the Sanyo wasn't bad (I think) - replaced it anyway with a Panasonic FM as long as the system was apart. The mystery of the flaky Asus P5A-B continues. Found out the USB ports are dead on it too.

Comment

Dead USB is usually caused by absence of 5V - because of blown fuse or broken/burnt trace somewhere.

Comment

Yep - couldn't find anything obvious on the board though so I left it alone.

Comment

skywell sht
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wendell? 1000uf 6.3v + pulled from flakey PowerVR/STM Kyro 32mb video card.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by RegR; 05-07-2006, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Also found this : Since the 1980s, a solid "electrolyte" (actually a semiconducting polymer called 7,7,8,8-tetracyanoquinodimethane, or TCNQ) aluminum capacitor has been available from Sanyo under the OS-CON name..http://my.execpc.com/~endlr/electrolytic.html

Comment

what is oscon doing on the badcap manufacturer thread? anybody seen a bad oscon? i doubt it...

Comment

not sure if this is a one off occurrence, but heres an "Elite" brand capacitor I pulled out of a NEC FE2111SB monitor. Not sure if you can tell, but the cap is bulged to the point that the cap is tipped in the photo. The picture on the monitor was best described as slightly jittery, and replacing the cap with a Nichicon of equivalent capacitance/voltage (either that or ripping the entire monitor apart and putting it together again) has solved the problem without reoccurrence after 2.5 months.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

My bad, .was just showing the connection Sony->OS-CON. ...Reg

Comment

My EPoX 8RDA3I Pro has Rubycon as voltage regulators and Panasonic (Matsushita) everywhere else I can see with it installed, my PowerColor Radeon 9250 has Panasonics as well, and my (I think) Lite-On ~350w PSU is all Teapo. Yep, I think I'm doing fine. I have a few old AT supplies with Rubies and NCCs that I'll use as secondary supplies as I need them, this one included.
                                        You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                                        Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Ah darnit, no way to reply?

Anyway, the only ones I've seen fail have been Fuhjyyus in an Antec PSU (the little guys) and a few Canicons in an unidentified PSU. The latter has two intact Fuhjyyus as the big cans...goes to show how bad Canicon really is...
                                          You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                                          Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Working...
                                          X