Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to replace a MSI Laptop capacitor! (Help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need to replace a MSI Laptop capacitor! (Help)

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
    Hey, there's a problem with your victory, it's that that cap is a bad cap. It's a chinese unbranded generic cap. It might work for awhile, but with the heat of the laptop it's almost guaranteed to fail.

Another this is we have no specs for the cap that you just put in there or what it's ESR is. The one you're replacing has an ESR rating for 13mOhms, that's an extremely low ESR. I can almost guarantee that china cap doesn't have a low ESR like that. You also replaced a polymer cap with an electrolytic. While this doesn't matter, the polymers are much more durable than electrolytics. Plus this is a cheap cap. I would've advised you spent an extra dollar or two on a good branded polymer cap, rather than a random one which might not last long.

The other problem is if you put a cap that's got too high of an ESR in the place of where one that can't have that high of an ESR, you could potentially cause more problems down the road than just the cap failing.

My advice is to replace that cap with a proper one, your choice.
    Fairly true , and i've already advised him the Panasonic ones , but he went for a lower cost , free shipping and faster delivery .. Well , we have also to include into the equation , that today , no Laptops under the 600$ barrier survive two or three years at maximum , due to poor designs and cheap components , not to mention the always defaults in South bridge or North bridge , or exploding chargers and defaulted batteries , etc.
    what's i'm sure of , this cap will survive longer ...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
      They're not just more durable (apparently - time will tell), they have the much lower ESR to begin with. It certainly does matter if you replace a solid polymer with a wet electrolytic type, especially if the ESR values are wildly different.
      You can get an electrolytic down to polymer levels of low ESR, I've seen it before with Panasonic and Sanyo electrolytic capacitors, the SMD versions and regular can type.
      Popcorn.

Comment

But that isn't going to be the case with an unbranded one from eBay...
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
          I get your point Exras ; Here i used mf as a simple abbreviation for micro farads . I was taking for granted you won't find a 220 milli farads = 220 000 micro farads in a MSI laptop . right ? ...
          It's true that in the old days you could be pretty sure of size vs capacity, but with these super caps I feel its no longer totally obvious.

1000mF 2,7V

Comment

True, but they mark them with Farad not mF, probably for that reason.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
            X