Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HM HN, Dates for the bad boys?

Originally posted by UserXP View Post
    The problem is that they (and others as well) are very hard to come by in my country.
    This will soon follow around here as well since Rubycon has discontinued the MBZ and MCZ series. Likewise, Nichicon has discontinued the HM, HN, and HZ series. So what's left? United Chemicon KZJ and KZG - but we all know those are unreliable. So short of polymers, there isn't much else. I guess the best you can now get is Panasonic FM and FR and Rubycon ZLK and ZLG, with ZLJ and ZL and Chemicon KZE and Nichicon HD being right underneath them.

Comment

Well the only remaining source is old stock from eBay resellers but you have to tripple check for fakes…at least there is that buyer protection so you can even get your money back if they sell you shit
      Last edited by Behemot; 02-16-2014, 03:57 AM.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

I can confirm problems with 2005 HM's - just yesterday I was preparing bad boards for reselling for gold extraction, so I got the caps out. Full set of A0509 HM's 1500 uF/6,3 V is showing ~1950 uF on ESR Micro. So if that's true about the leakage, they are bad.
        Last edited by Behemot; 02-28-2014, 05:15 AM.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

^yep, that's over the 20% allowed tolerance on the capacitance. Leaky they are indeed.

I just checked the date code on the HZs I found bad: H0544 - i.e. year 2005, week 44. One of them is now shorted. No wonder it fools the ESR meters.
          Last edited by momaka; 03-01-2014, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I think Mike should add leakege current meter. It is one of the capacitor specified values if you look into datasheet after all…

Comment

Saw a Dell Dimension 4700 today with a P4, three bulged HM's by the RAM slots, 2005 date codes as well. 39th week

Comment

Finally got to take my HP Workstation X4000 apart, after a number of years gathering rust (not a typo!) in the garage.

The memory board has three bulged Nichicon HMs (one leaked), all dated H0146, as well as two bulged FuhYins (enough said). The rest of the caps are OK, being four Rubycon YXGs and two ZLs (as well as a Lelon TH and a Teapo SEK, both of which I might swap out for the sake of it).

The mainboard itself is perfectly fine, aside from being the home of a fairly large redback spider (the body was about 8mm in diameter) which decided to make its home in the fold of a SCSI cable, with the remains of a cricket as well as two egg sacs still in the web when I first opened it.

Comment

Somehow I did not have to look at your country entry to figure you where from Australia with that description
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Assuming those Lelons are black and gold, that is more likely to be LTEC TH. Easy to confuse the two from afar with their similar logos. I'm willing to bet those Teapo SEK and LTEC THs are quietly dried up. Speaking of crickets... I spotted one in my room last night, only to find that it retreated behind one of my shelves. Can't complain too much because upon removing that shelf I was flabbergasted at the amount of dust that lay there, so it was a good excuse to dust the room.

Also, I think P4 actually meant three bulged HNs in that Dell Dimension 4700. Two by the RAM slots, one by the AGP slot (1000uF 10V in 10x12.5mm case size), as I recall.

Originally posted by UserXP
                    It is amazing how many motherboards and their brands used these Nichicon series even though there were serious mistakes involved in their production, but MB makers still continued using them. I guess production costs are taken into account here, but it is simply a bad idea to design a solid and quality electronic equipment only to risk its destruction but putting some problematic capacitors on it.
                    Actually, I noticed after the HM/HN fiasco that the usage of HMs and HNs on motherboards was at an earnest decline and seemed to be replaced by KZGs, KZJs, FJs, FLs, MBZs, MCZs, etc.... not that the first two were much of an improvement over the bad HMs and HNs.

Why they still use known bad capacitors... for the same reason that they never stopped using KZGs or TK capacitors. Planned obsolescence. TK capacitors (at least their ATWY and ATWB series) are definitely the worst of the bunch, though. "Production costs"... as I understand it, Rubycon are the most expensive of the brands overall. So you may be on to something there.
                    Last edited by Wester547; 06-13-2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Yeah sorry, I meant HN. I ended up recapping that machine with nichicon HZ and it's now a fileserver for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                        Assuming those Lelons are black and gold, that is more likely to be LTEC TH.
                        Yeah, it's an Ltec, not Lelon.

Comment

is b1215 datecode good or bad, how do we read nichicon datecode on hm and hn capacitors?

Comment

B1215 means week 15, 2012 (April 9th - 15th, 2012), made in Malaysia.

Nichicon's factory codes are as follows:

H = Ohno, Japan
                            A = Asahi, Japan
                            B = Malaysia
                            M = Singapore
                            N = Iwate, Japan
                            C = China, supposedly.... (counterfeits tend to use that factory code as well)

Those capacitors are only over 4 years old in terms of shelf life so they shouldn't give you a problem, although they may need to be reformed.

Comment

How do we read the datecode on panasonic fj & fjs capacitors too?
                              b1607 on nichicon hm capacitors?
                              a0541 on hm capacitors?
                              are any of these decent or should i toss the lot?

Comment

on the Panasonics
                                fjs: 58Vgn etc
                                fj:5dIVuo
                                there appears to be roman numerals

Comment

so the b16s are probably good... Malaysia 2016
                                  should i toss my 2005 japan 1500uf 6.3 v nichis?

Comment

also, how do we datecode rubycon?

Comment

that's cool, nichicon continued making some of the hm and hn capacitors

Comment

Originally posted by halaster79 View Post
                                        so the b16s are probably good... Malaysia 2016
                                        should i toss my 2005 japan 1500uf 6.3 v nichis?
                                        Depends on the condition of those Nichicons. If they can be properly reformed and still measure in spec they may be okay, although those HMs, HNs, and HZs with 2005 datecodes don't have a speckless track record. Those from 2016 should be fine if they're genuine.

Originally posted by halaster79 View Post
                                        on the Panasonics
                                        fjs: 58Vgn etc
                                        fj:5dIVuo
                                        there appears to be roman numerals
                                        58VGN = The 5th week of August, 2005. 5dIVUo = The 4th week of December, 2005. All Panasonic FFs, FRs, FJ, FJS, FJZ, and FL capacitors are made in Malaysia only.

Yes, as I understand it, Nichicon continued to manufacture the HM, HN, and HZ series for a while even following their announced discontinuation in 2012. You read Rubycon datecodes the same as Nichicon date codes.

Rubycon factory codes:

T = Fukushima, Japan.
                                        S = Seibu, Japan.
                                        A = Akita, Japan.
                                        N = Nishikoma, Japan.
                                        1M = Singapore.
                                        2M = Korea.
                                        3M = Indonesia.
                                        Last edited by Wester547; 07-23-2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

what do you mean by "properly reformed"?
                                          was Panasonic affected by the capacitor plague? A lot of mine are from 2005, would they be affected by it?
                                          Last edited by halaster79; 07-23-2016, 09:24 PM. Reason: add aditional info

Comment

Working...
                                          X