How can I test non-polarized capacitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I test non-polarized capacitor?

I desoldered samwha NF capacitor(50v 5.6uf) from PCB circuit of 29inch CRT TV which have symptoms of no display after I heard sound of inrush of current to TV whenever I switch on this television.
    I measured ESR value of this non-polarized capacitor(samwha NF capacitor 50v 5.6uf) by means of MESR-100 ESR meter and It displayed 0.3 ohm

And When I measured its capacitance with digital multimeter and LCR-T4 Mega328 meter, It displayed 10uf from DMM and 8uf from LCR-T4 meter.
    I found catalogue of samwha capacitor(samwha-catalogue_3.pdf file), which is attached to this thread, but there is no Tan(δ) in the characteristic entry(page 135) which is essential for ESR calculation.
    Is this non-polarized capacitor(samwha NF capacitor 50v 5.6uf) defective?
    Attached Files

Usually, a cap with that rating in a crt tv is in the horz. yoke return path, if it was bad, you would likely have a narrow picture.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      Usually, a cap with that rating in a crt tv is in the horz. yoke return path, if it was bad, you would likely have a narrow picture.
      Is it means that this non-polarized capacitor(samwha NF capacitor 50v 5.6uf) has nothing to do with symptoms of no display after I heard sound of inrush of current to TV?

Comment

Originally posted by chth96 View Post

Is it means that this non-polarized capacitor(samwha NF capacitor 50v 5.6uf) has nothing to do with symptoms of no display after I heard sound of inrush of current to TV?
        Thats what I suspect, can you post the make and model or service manual? or maybe post some pictures of the board.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post

Thats what I suspect, can you post the make and model or service manual? or maybe post some pictures of the board.
          partnumber on the surface of main PCB and small PCB is

MC-7CA(MAIN) 6870VM0056C(6) 980424 L.W.G(0)

MC-7CA(CPT) 6870VS0167A(1) 971014 K.J.B(0)

and model number of This LG CRT TV is CN-29H3

Frankly speaking,I posted a thread about this CRT TV in the reddit forum.But It seems that there is no way to find the culprit of no display symptoms.
          https://www.reddit.com/r/Electronics...6707_regulator
          Attached Files

Comment

does the iinside of the tube neck glow?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              does the iinside of the tube neck glow?
              I have desoldered PC817 Optocoupler from PCB of this CRT TV and tested it by following below youtube tutorial.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPSwvVpMrvc
              I confirmed that a led light turned on, But unfortunately, When I measure its resistance of pin 3 and pin 4 with10k ohm range of analogue meter, I saw that It display two reading of low resistance when checking both way.
              I think that following youtube tutorial spoiled PC817 Optocoupler, So I need to find any local store where sells it.

Comment

you can find optocouplers inside almost every switching psu including ones in lcd monitors

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  you can find optocouplers inside almost every switching psu including ones in lcd monitors
                  I purchased LITEON LTV817 D grade. But PC817 Optocoupler, which was defective, was C grade and made in Sharp corperation.
                  Is it Okay to replace C grade PC817 from Sharp corperation with D grade LITEON LTV817?

Comment

maybe - try it

Comment

Working...
                    X