Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

desoldered capacitor is self charging until 0.6 voltage.

Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

desoldered capacitor is self charging until 0.6 voltage.

I have an 21 inch CRT TV which is not able to power on.
    I disassembled 21 inch CRT TV and measured voltage of main filter capacitor(Samhwa HC 400WV 220uF) in the circuit.
    It shows 270V on my DMM.

So I discharged this main filter capactior completely and detached circuit board from cathode-ray tube.
    Then I desoldered this main filter capacitor from circuit board.
    But I noticed that this desoldered large capacitor(Samhwa HC 400WV 220uF) is slowly charged by itself until it reached 0.6V

I measured its ESR value with MESR-100 and it shows 0.1 ohm,judging by ESR value I think that there is no flaw in this capacitor(Samhwa HC 400WV 220uF).

By the way,Does it really no flaw in this capacitor which is self charging until 0.6 voltage?
  • Answer selected by chth96 at 04-17-2024, 09:03 AM.

Yup, dielectric absorption it is indeed.

I find this quite often with large high(er) voltage (typically 50+ Volts) capacitors... and also sometimes on larger capacity capacitors that have a very low leakage current / self-discharge rate.

Latest case of this was when I found a couple of old 42V 4700 uF Panasonic capacitors on a scrap board from a Technics amplifier. Charged them up to 40-ish Volts to reform them, just in case (even though they showed healthy parameters.) After I was done with reforming them and checking their leakage current, I discharged them (safely, though a resistor.) The next day, one had 6.x Volts, and the other almost 9V.

Originally posted by chth96 View Post
    Can I use this large capacitor(Samhwa HC 400WV 220uF) as main filter capacitor in future?
    Absolutely.
    Though I suggest to be careful where you use it. In particular, you might want to avoid using it in PSUs with APFC, because APFC tends to stress primary caps a lot more and some of these "regular" HV caps can overheat internally.

Comment

the foil is a coil, it is picking up energy from the sun, tv, cell towers etc.
      i have strings of led lights that run forever on this principle!
      free energy for some - loses for others!

Comment

i find some capacitors charge back up after discharging them . be careful it can be quite shocking .

Comment

Dielectric absorption
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

By the way it usually took more than 20 hours to charge by itself until 0.6V.
            Then Is it ordinary Dielectric absorption and Can I use this large capacitor(Samhwa HC 400WV 220uF) as main filter capacitor in future?

Comment

Yup, dielectric absorption it is indeed.

I find this quite often with large high(er) voltage (typically 50+ Volts) capacitors... and also sometimes on larger capacity capacitors that have a very low leakage current / self-discharge rate.

Latest case of this was when I found a couple of old 42V 4700 uF Panasonic capacitors on a scrap board from a Technics amplifier. Charged them up to 40-ish Volts to reform them, just in case (even though they showed healthy parameters.) After I was done with reforming them and checking their leakage current, I discharged them (safely, though a resistor.) The next day, one had 6.x Volts, and the other almost 9V.

Originally posted by chth96 View Post
              Can I use this large capacitor(Samhwa HC 400WV 220uF) as main filter capacitor in future?
              Absolutely.
              Though I suggest to be careful where you use it. In particular, you might want to avoid using it in PSUs with APFC, because APFC tends to stress primary caps a lot more and some of these "regular" HV caps can overheat internally.

Comment

Working...
              X