Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Delta Power" MAX-500ATX 450W power supply (not real Delta)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Delta Power" MAX-500ATX 450W power supply (not real Delta)

Newbie2 has again been able to get another cheap PSU to show to the badcaps.net forums!

I have a "Delta Power" MAX-500ATX "450W" power supply that has recently been pulled from a working computer. This power supply is not very old, but it is another gutless wonder.

Here are its specifications on the sticker:
    +5V = 35A
    +12V = 18A
    -5V = 0.5A
    -12V = 0.8A
    +3.3V = 24A
    5VSB = 2A
    +5V&+3.3V = 250W
    Total = 450W

Let's see some pictures:

The power supply.

The label of this power supply.

A picture of the cables of this power supply (1x ATX 20+4 pin, 1x +12V 4-pin P4 power, 3x 4-pin peripheral, 1x floppy, and 1x SATA)

Overhead view of the internals of this power supply.

A view of the secondary side of this power supply (notice the tiny secondary caps).

A picture of the three transformers.

A view of the primary side transistors.

A view of the two "BH" 330uf 200V 25x30mm primary capacitors.

THE FOUR DIODE TREATMENT!!!!! There are four RL207 2A diodes. That's not good at all.

A view of the empty transient filter, with no components at all.

A view of the two chips on this power supply.

I have one question, is there any way to install a bridge rectifier in this power supply? I don't see any markings to indicate how to put one in, like what my L&C had on its PCB silkscreen.
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Re: "Delta Power" MAX-500ATX 450W power supply (not real Delta)

wow! looks like a real winner....NOT!

it's easy to install a bridge rectifier - they have markings on them for the AC inputs (usually a ~) and for the + and - outputs. The AC ones go on the input side (doesn't matter which way) and the + goes to the + side of one of the primaries, and the - goes to the - side of the other primary. You'll probably have to bend the legs to get things to fit. I did it with my logisys...

Comment

They're sunpro's.

Partially owned by leadman. Very close design to leadman/powmax psu's.

Comment

Also, that space where a filtering coil would go also has the connectors from the ac receptacle going into it. To put a coil in, you will need to unsolder those wires and solder them into the space that says "con1" with the two holes labeled "N" and "L", the white wire usually goes to the N hole, and the black to the L, but to make sure the N is connected to the left pole on the receptacle, if you are looking down onto the receptacle with the grounding pin on the bottom, and the L is on the right.

In order to really make that thing a reliable 250W psu, you are going to have to do more than your average deer. It has much weaker secondary silicon and primaries. As well as only having 1 cap for each voltage rail. So use higher rated caps for them. Also, there are no PI filters interestingly. Then, if you have one of those proprietary dell newton or lite-on psu's, those are great to get primary switchers and secondary schottky diodes from. You can tell which ones go with which voltage by basically which wires the are in line with. The 12v is all the way on the left, so the schottky diode all the way on the left on the heatsink is the 12v's. Then it looks like the 5v is in the middle, with the 3.3v on the end. They are all in the to-220 package, so they are definitely not rated that high. Most of the time getting data sheets for these off brand manufacturer's parts are really hard to find. Sometimes the part number can tell you, such as the 12V schottky I used in my YueLin is a MBR4045PT, which means it is good for 40A and 45V. Its good to do overkill, as it provides more stable voltages, as my 12v I rated it for is 15A (but it dosen't have OCP so it could theoretically produce 40A on the 12v before blowing up that schottky)

Comment

Where's the beef?!
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Looks gutless even for 200 watts. Can't say who made it for sure, but it does look like a Leadman unit as 370forlife suggested (judging by the label and heatsinks).

Secondary side doesn't seem to be well designed at all. That big resistor next to the capacitors is just asking for trouble. There's also very little space for capacitors and likely no space for PI filters. Heatsinks are way too tiny as well. With that said, I don't think this power supply can be improved to handle more than 200 watts (if even that much, unless the heatsinks are replaced). Hence, don't put too much effort in it should you decide to improve it.
            Probably no point at all in changing the secondary rectifiers and primary switchers. Just add some input filtering and a proper input rectifier, and maybe change the primary caps with something of better quality (but no need to go over 470uF). For the secondary, put the biggest possible caps you can fit and relocate that big resistor somewhere else far from the caps.

Other than that, the casing actually looks nice. The overall IC design doesn't seem bad either.

Originally posted by Toasty
            Where's the beef?!
            Your cat must've gotten hungry .

Comment

Ya they are sunpro. You find them on ebay if you search delta power, and the older ones actually have the sunpro UL on them. They were smart enough to take it off now.

also, it looks exactly like my friend's sunpro raidmax "450w" I would say it has some potential, especially since it uses a newer type of transformer, as my yuelin uses the one with the big grounding wire coming out of it, transformers that will fit this can be found in a lot of psu's, like bestecs. Bestecs actually have big transformers, a ATX-250-12Z has a bigger transformer than my delta dps-400rb.

Wait, I just noticed something, theres no 3.3v wire on the sata connector.
              Last edited by 370forlife; 08-27-2009, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I decided that the overall design of this PSU is not that great, so I won't change the primary switching transistors. If I can get some parts then I might improve this power supply.
                My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                  Wait, I just noticed something, theres no 3.3v wire on the sata connector.
                  SATA hard drives can function without the 3.3V, the 4-pin peripheral to SATA adapters do not have the 3.3V wire (as the peripheral connector doesn't have 3.3V) and still work fine with SATA hard drives.

Leaving out a wire can save a cent or two for the manufacturer.
                  My gaming PC:

Comment

now that i look at the pics again it looks like that "eagle"unit a customer brought in.
                    except it was claiming to be a "650w"
                    yet another gutless wonder.

Comment

The primary capacitors should have been 820uF or 1000uF.
                      Everything is underrated in this unit... and I bet it would blow up when fully loaded using a load tester.
                      Certifications are probably phoney too.
                      What are the brands on the green capacitors with gold print?
                      The two chips are KA7500 and LM339.
                      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic
                        The primary capacitors should have been 820uF or 1000uF.
                        Everything is underrated in this unit... and I bet it would blow up when fully loaded using a load tester.
                        Certifications are probably phoney too.
                        What are the brands on the green capacitors with gold print?
                        The two chips are KA7500 and LM339.
                        I'm willing to bet the primary switchers would let go at or before 250W. If they didn't, probalby the 12v schottky.

Comment

The green capacitors on the secondary side with the gold print are "H.Q" brand. The logo is an oval with "H.Q" in it. All the other capacitors in this power supply are "BH" brand.

The primary switchers are one 2N60 MOSFET and two 13007 NPN transistors. I doubt changing them would improve power and/or reliability, as new transformers and other things would be needed to output more power.
                          My gaming PC:

Comment

The secondary side has one 16A 200V diode on the +12V rail, one 20A 40V Schottky diode on the +5V rail, and one 16A 40V Schottky diode on the +3.3V rail. I don't remember the part numbers of them as I am away from my computer, but I do have PDF specification sheets of all three of them.

I also have PDF specification sheets for the primary switching transistors.
                            My gaming PC:

Comment

This is how I think a bridge rectifier is installed in this power supply:

I know where the + and - signs of the bridge rectifier will go, but I want confirmation that I have the two AC pins of the bridge rectifier in the correct position in the photo judging from the traces.
                              My gaming PC:

Comment

Looks correct.
                                By the way, I see lots of solder blobs. Make sure to remove them as they can come loose and short out something.

Comment

I have rebuilt this power supply. It took around two and a half hours to complete this.

Things done:
                                  1. added input transient filtering components
                                  2. replaced four RL207 2A input diodes with GBU6J 6A bridge rectifier
                                  3. replaced two BH 330uf 200V primary input capacitors with two United Chemi-con SMG series 560uf 200V capacitors
                                  4. replaced primary side 2N60 2A MOSFET and two 13007 8A NPN transistors with P6NK60Z 6A MOSFET and two MJE13009G 12A NPN transistors
                                  5. replaced secondary side F16C20C 16A 200V diode (+12V rail), S20C40C 20A 40V diode (+5V rail), and S16C40C 16A 40V diode (+3.3V rail) with STTH3002CT 30A (2x15A) 200V diode and two MBR3045CT 30A (2x15A) 45V diodes
                                  6. on the secondary side replaced two "H.Q" 1000uf 16V capacitors with two Panasonic FM series 2700uf 16V capacitors, one "H.Q" 2200uf 10V capacitor replaced with one Nichicon HE series 2700uf 6.3V capacitor, one BH 470uf 16V capacitor replaced with one Panasonic FC series 470uf 35V capacitor, and one BH 680uf 16V capacitor replaced with one Panasonic FC series 1000uf 16V capacitor.
                                  7. other small capacitors (220uf 16V, 2.2uf 50V, 47uf 50V, and 10uf 50V) replaced with Panasonic FC series capacitors of the same capacitance and voltage.
                                  8. replaced "WAM" brand W8025CZ12SEMN BOMD-2810 12V 80mm fan with Sunon EE80251S3-0000-999 12V 2600RPM 33CFM 28dBA 80x80x25mm sleeve bearing fan

Pictures:

Overall top view of the power supply, now rebuilt.

Top view of the input transient filtering components.

View of the GBU6J bridge rectifier.

A view of the new United Chemi-con SMG series 560uf 200V primary input capacitors.

A view of the new MOSFET and new transistors on the primary side.

The secondary side.

A view of the new secondary side capacitors.

A view of the new diodes on the secondary side.

Two views of the new small capacitors.

A view of the new exhaust fan.

This power supply does power up. I haven't been able to test it in a working PC yet, however the +12V, +5V, +3.3V, +5VSB, and -12V voltages are within ATX specification when powered on without load (also they do not fluctuate very much either).

I have this power supply now as a backup power supply for my computer, in case my Antec Earthwatts 380W power supply somehow fails in the future (in that case I would disable my computer's processor overclock to reduce the amount of power needed).

Please comment on my work.
                                  Last edited by Newbie2; 09-04-2009, 01:45 PM.
                                  My gaming PC:

Comment

Looks very good, nice work.

I decided my sunpro raidmax is just a bad design, just making it into a decent 300W psu, replaced the transformer with one from a 250W bestec (has the same markings as the transformer from the 300W bestec,) recapped, and now needs a new NTC and fuse. Overall, I don't think its well designed at all, almost seems better to use the parts on a more well made solytech or HEC.

Comment

Any more comments?
                                      My gaming PC:

Comment

I think you did a great job as usual . PSU must be much better now.

However, I still say you put way more effort than what was needed. No point in changing the primary and secondary side silicon when the heatsinks are that tiny (unless of course you just had plenty of those parts laying around). The biggest benefits are the new caps, input filtering, bridge rectifier, and fan - those were definitely worth it.

Another gutless unit saved and made useful. You got good skills.
                                        Last edited by momaka; 09-05-2009, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X