Vizio E550VL Main Board Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio E550VL Main Board Issue

Hi again everyone. Picked this one up yesterday and paid a decent sum since the only issue was that the HDMI ports don't work and I was able to verify that first. Component, Composite, and VGA inputs function normally.

Now, on to question 1. I would certainly assume that there is nothing else that could cause the fault other than the main board? When I plug in an HDMI cable I get the 'connecting' and 'retrieving data' messages followed by a 1080i in the upper right corner but then black screen with no sound. All three inputs act the same way. I'm pretty sure this is not easily repairable.

Question 2. Does anyone know where I can find a board for this at a reasonable price? I researched before buying this and thought I had one located for around $70. However, once I pulled the back off of it when I got home I realized mine had a different version of board. The T-con is built in on mine and apparently it's rarer this way. The cheapest one I can find is $142.

Any help is appreciated as always and I hope I can find something for $100 or under. I have a buyer for it or I wouldn't have gotten it to begin with and at $142 my profit isn't looking to good.

Thanks,

Aaron
    Attached Files

Re: Vizio E550VL Main Board Issue

Just for reference, here is the other version without the T-con parts in the upper left.
    Attached Files

Comment

Well, I saw one that had just been posted on Ebay this morning so I took the plunge. Numbers on the yellow sticker don't match exactly which scares me a bit but all the parts look the same. Chip on the top left says LG display so I'm confident its for the same version as mine. Will report back later when it arrives.
      Attached Files

Comment

Out of interest, next to the HDMI port(s) is a pc input (15-pin connector) can you confirm if this works? You may find neither of these work! You've already said it does, strange.

Also there is a tuner board, can you confirm what this is for, cable? terrestrial?? Can you see if this works?

From bottom right hand corner are those USB port, HDMI port then the tuner?

Is the USB port looking a little charred or is it a shadow? this is on the first photo, your original board before you panic!!!
        Last edited by notallbad; 06-13-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

There are some fuses on that board you could check for continuity, 3 white ones at the top.
          Also, some regulators, check those voltages.

A blue mark on the board next to the cap up by the 4 pin plug(top right corner), is that just a marker pen blob or leaky cap?

Any leds on this board? solid/flashing

Neither Hdmi ports working, must be a common fault to both ports, above them is an i.c, can you identify it? photo slightly blurry at that end of the photo.
          Last edited by notallbad; 06-13-2013, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Does sound like its most likely the processor at fault, as you say, non-repairable. Strange VGA Pc input and component work though!

Definately no shorts inside one of the HDMI ports, look for something jammed inside the ports.

Also possible corrupt settings, can you get into service menu?
            Last edited by notallbad; 06-14-2013, 03:30 AM.

Comment

These TVs use a HDMI mux device to convert three HDMI ports into one. This often fails. The main processor only has one input and this lets them cheaply make main boards with support from one to five HDMI inputs.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi Tom
                Would that be the i.c located above the 2 hdmi ports in the botoom left corner? Not easy to see in the photo how many legs it has but looks like loads and a precision job, presumably a hot air rework job!
                Last edited by notallbad; 06-14-2013, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Looks like one. Maybe a strange form of QFN - quad flat no leads - though not as bad as BGA for rework.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Just saw this when I got to work. The HDMI ports are the only thing not working everything else including the tuner does. I suppose I could have asked about changing a chip but figured it would be a guess. As far as swapping one, I'd actually prefer a bga to one with legs. I'm actually quite good at swapping those.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                      These TVs use a HDMI mux device to convert three HDMI ports into one. This often fails. The main processor only has one input and this lets them cheaply make main boards with support from one to five HDMI inputs.
                      Tom,

This would certainly make sense. Especially since all 3 ports act exactly the same way.

Comment

Trouble is in some cases that chip actually does some of the decryption of the high definition signal. Which means it's not commercial available. If it's just a simple mux, you -may- be able to get a few from resellers in China.

Comment

Well, I'll certainly hang on to the board regardless. If nothing else, for testing purposes if I get another one of these. Really stinks paying $120 for a board when the one I have is basically functional.

Of course I would have the odd ball one with the T-con included. The other could have been had for much less.

Comment

TV is back in business. I may check into that chip sometime later. If nothing else, I have a spare board for testing purposes.

Comment

Good to hear the replacement board is all ok.

Have you been able to get into service menu? check / compare settings

I don't know what settings you may find or if they could resolve your issue but that was an expensive board. Perhaps sell it with known fault to recover some money!

Comment

Yeah. I might do that or just hang on to it. I made $100 on the TV 4 days after buying it. That was my intention from the beginning so at least it worked out.

Thanks as always for the help guys!!

On to the next project.....

Comment

Was already able to use this board to troubleshoot. Picked up an E470VL that wouldn't power up (no standby logo either). Forced on the PS to verify all voltages were good and that the backlight worked. Then, placed the E550VL main in it. Of course the picture didn't show since the eeprom is different but it did allow the TV to power up and show a bunch of vertical lines. New E470VL main on the way now.

Comment

Wondering if I could get some advice? I have recently received a used Vizio E550VL. I'm trying to decide what needs to be replaced. I'm thinking the back light inverter or main board. When the TV is on the display is hard to see. It is dark especially towards the center. You can barely see the writing in the center. If I go to the menu and reset the TV to factory settings it displays perfect on the whole screen for a few minutes then, slowly starts to fade and darken. Any advice would be great. I am new to this sight and hope it is ok to to post on this thread. I have an old CRT in my house so, it would be great if I can get this TV working correctly. Thank you for any help.

Comment

This is a TC-P50S1. 7 blinking red lights, if I disconnect the SC board I get 6 blinking lights. If instead I disconnect the board on the opposite side(can't remember what it is called) I still get 7 blinking lights. I also tried disconnecting the upper and lower boards connected to the SC board but, this did not make a difference so, I believe the SC board is my problem. It has the glued on heat sinks so, I can't see if anything is blown. Everything visible looks fine. I can't seem to find a price under $130 for a board. Any suggestions where to get cheap parts?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jhardluck View Post
                                        Wondering if I could get some advice? I have recently received a used Vizio E550VL. I'm trying to decide what needs to be replaced. I'm thinking the back light inverter or main board. When the TV is on the display is hard to see. It is dark especially towards the center. You can barely see the writing in the center. If I go to the menu and reset the TV to factory settings it displays perfect on the whole screen for a few minutes then, slowly starts to fade and darken. Any advice would be great. I am new to this sight and hope it is ok to to post on this thread. I have an old CRT in my house so, it would be great if I can get this TV working correctly. Thank you for any help.
                                        People would be a lot more willing to offer help if you follow the rules. I've seen your same post now in at least 3 places and you've also hijacked people's threads. Not being ugly but you should play by the book if you'd like advice.

Comment

Working...
                                        X