Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shenzhen Chi Yuan Industrial Co Ltd?

Guys,

BB's Dynex PSU's are made by this company.
    SHENZHEN CHI YUAN INDUSTRIAL CO LTD

Are they decent or crap? The caps on the primary side seem to be FCon. I'll post pics when I get my hands on the unit.
    Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
    Zippy GSM-6600P
    Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
    Abit IP35Pro
    ATi HD4870

Re: Shenzhen Chi Yuan Industrial Co Ltd?

The LC-Power branded PSU`s are made by them too (yes, their not L&C, it is a different brand). Usually they are not that bad build, but their effiziency isn`t top notch and the stated overall wattage is not necesarily a honest statment. Caps are not top notch too, but with the exception of the ones in the 5vsb circuit they are probably ok for a few years. At least under the LC-Power label there is a far more efficient unit availiable, it is somhow the Green edition. I duno abouth your particular models, i only have experience with the LC-Power labeled ones. There are some pics in the PSu pictorial topic and availiable by google.

All i can sy, that they are ok for the price. But IMHO not something a ultra power user want to have. But they shure have the knowledge to make a decent psu, if they want to do so.

Comment

Thanks for the info gonzo. Someone I know refuses to spend money on a PSU to power the following system:

x1800xt 512Mb
      OPTERON 144
      2 x 300Gb SATA
      2 x Optical
      2 x 512 Mb DDR
      Mainboard is ATI XPress 200 (full of OST caps)

I told him that the x1800xt 512Mb is a power hog and he should get a decent PSU, but he insists on using a cheap ass Dynex 500W from Best Buy. So I picked the UL# and it returned Shenzen Company as the manufacturer.

Do you think the PSU will blow up? (No overclocking is being done).
      Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
      Zippy GSM-6600P
      Abit IP35Pro
      ATi HD4870

Comment

Hu, what ammount of power does this x1800xt will draw? The older LC-Power 550w models have not mutch power on 12v (abouth 24A AFAIR), but probably the 24 pin ones should be improved in that way. Chek the stated 5v currents, i hope they have altered this (i.e reduced the 45A rating to something real and kranking the 12v rail a littel up). From my point of view and from severall forums i read abouth them, i learned that they can burn (yup with smoke and sparks as long as the power cord is removed etc.) or be doa sometimes (may be a bit more often than other brands, but not necesarily), but usually the protection circuitry is working and has left the other components unharmed. And i have had to replace the 5v sb caps after one year of moderate use, as the PSu refuses to switch on (one bulged KSC cap, replaced both).
        I bought it for the very same reason you are asking.
        ATM i is working without any futher hitches. I consider it as a safe unit, if the rig is powering on and is running stable, i would have not mucht headaches to use it. But i would certainely make clear, that the risk is not yours. If someone can afford a x1800xt and is skimping on the psu side, he should not whine if something blows. Thats my five cents on that. I used it for a lower end gaming rig with GF6600gt and Winchester 3000. I think a Fortron bluestorm or similar would be far more suited for sutch a rig. And in the end there is only 20 to 30$ difference in that.
        Any way, if it is working, i would appreciate some feedback .

Comment

The case from those Dynex are looking very similar like the LC-power 6550, thus i think ist is the same psu, only oem branded. You can google fore some nude pics with the above mentioned LC-power model number, or you can dig out my pics in the pictorial topic. www.lc-power.com has the facts about their retail units. But they have no psu in plain steal case with more than 350w....... hope that Dynex has not pushed the lables statement to far.
          Only the newer ones like the Silent Giant green psu`s seems to be native ATX 2.0 and thus have enough 12v juice, but unfortunately on different rails.
          Last edited by gonzo0815; 10-23-2006, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback gonzo. I will be very upset with this moron if my x1800xt blows up (it is not technically mine as I sold it to him, but I spent a lot of time modding the BIOS for excellent performance) becuase of his stupidity.

He has been warned several times but I cannot understand why people want to skimp on the PSU despite so many warnings. He will not allow any recaps either as it will "void the warranty". What can I do about such idiots?

I very strongly suspect that the ratings on the lable are "peak power" numbers and not average continiously available power. However, I asked him to promise to return both the card, PSU and any thing else that may fry up because of this dodgy unit.
            Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
            Zippy GSM-6600P
            Abit IP35Pro
            ATi HD4870

Comment

Lol, but hey i have build some rigs for friends with the very same attitude. You can`t do anything about this. If you want to got flamed, you just need to wrote into any hardware forum and flame about cheap psu`s. There are many very "clever" people out there, who would claim the opposit.

Shure, the power rating isn`t for real, but i think it can for shure deliver a decent amount of power for a long enough time. The only concern from my side would be the 12v current capability. From my point of view, Dynex does not sell the latest and greatest unit from Shenzhen Chi Yuan Industrial .

And the older ones would have probably some severe crossloading problems, if to low low load on the lower voltage rails. From the saefty side, i remeber that they stated something in the datasheet, that there are seperate protection circuits, wich can shut the whole psu off, even if the main SMPS controler would have gone bad ( well, this is usual for even the cheapest Seasonic OEM psu, even if they won`t mention it ;-) ). Thus, the only real concern would be if it can handle the high 12v load, and if the 5v sb c(r)ap`s can hold up for a long time. To insist on warranty on sutch a cheap unit is for shure realy stupid. I have recently done a preemtive recap of my Amacrox Free Earth 500w unit (abouth 50 to 70€) despite it was equiped with not that bad Capxon caps and has some warranty left. But hey, i feel somhow better with halfed ESR due to some 3000h Panasonic FM caps. It `s like tuning a car ;-)
              Last edited by gonzo0815; 10-25-2006, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Just a little bump because I got some inside info on Shenzhen Chi Yuan Industrial Co Ltd US Pat Off LLC, Inc.

First off, Huntkey is the same company. Huntkey is the house brand, but it's all the same. Sort of like ePower is to Topower.

Second, it seems that all of their units have exactly 100W of "wiggle room" on the label. In other words, they're all rated at "peak" and this is exactly 100W from continuous. If you have a Huntkey built 500W, it's a 400W.

Third, they do seem to have some decent units. the units that Huntkey sells as "Titan" is independently regulated and has Chemi-Con and Teapo caps within (except for a little secondary PCB that I've yet to figure out what it's for.) Despite this huge jump in quality, they still choose to rate 100W over continuous. This is likely because of the corner they've painted themselves into. If you didn't know any better and were comparing a 500W peak vs. a 500W continuous from the same company and the 500W continuous was $40 more, would Joe Consumer even give the $40 more unit a second look?
                Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

Yes, they are in the high end of the cheap section, thus i think they must stand against all those crappy "500w" boxes for half the price.
                  With honest labeling you can`t win a flower in this section, as the intended customers are just brain death when buying PSU`s .
                  Any way, both units i have under care, are working fine ATM, of course i have both fully recapped, at least all the secondary side filter caps.

In the end i think, those PSU`s ok, but with a Seasonic S12 330w for about 50€ and several FSP units for far less than this, it does not much sense to save a few bucks your later going to spend on the electricity bill, not to mentioned the early death caused by leaking 5v Sb caps.

Comment

I'll take some pics of the "650W" (*cough* 550W) and post them in a little bit.
                    Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

But of a bump in this old thread because it seems now like huntkey have revised their rating for PSU output W.
                      They are now selling 600W PSUs as 550W. I guess 80+ ratings have made them take the step to stop over-rating their PSUs.
                      What's more the PSU seems to be able to put out 650W.

But of grave digging sorry, but I noticed this review: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...y-Review/989/6 and was serching BC for fcon brand caps, to see if the huntkey 550w jumper was going to be reliable for cheap builds.
                      Last edited by paul_h; 06-22-2010, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Yes, huntkey have actually started rating their units at continuous, not peak. They still have their old units that are rated like that, but they are starting to phase them out.

Comment

Working...
                        X