Dell e173fpb - backlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell e173fpb - backlight

so our dell monitor pooped out a while ago, here's what i have done on it so far. Power light was flashing. Bought a replacement kit for 6 of the thingamabobers (black plastic front, metal plate on back, three prongs, labled: Q739, Q740, Q743, Q751, Q759, Q760). Lost interest, regained interest, plugged the monitor in to see where i was, and it started spewing a good amount of smoke. Replaced every one of the thingamabobers. Now it will turn on, and after ~1 second the backlights turn off (it is still on however). Checked all of the capacitors, none of them have bulged caps. Gave it a thorough look over, no visible smoke residue or bad looking solder connections.

Hope that this problem hasn't already been addressed somewhere else, but i didn't see mention of a problem where it had done this. Thanks for any help.

Re: Dell e173fpb - backlight

Resolder all transformer legs!

Comment

As Seanc said resolder the legs on the underside of the board
      Attached Files

Comment

Thingamabobers? Seriously?
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by sabre504 View Post
          As Seanc said resolder the legs on the underside of the board
          Alright, so just remove current solder, take them out, read to them some, put them back in? I will do it, but why?

Originally posted by smason View Post
          Thingamabobers? Seriously?
          Shh, i'm a visual type of person.

Comment

You dont have to take them out just clear old solder and put fresh in
            these are reknowned for poor solder joints on the transformer legs

Comment

<disclaimer> I've had a couple </disclaimer>

Originally posted by yofreke View Post
              I will do it, but why?
              I'm tempted to say "because we effing told you" but I'll be nice

In semi-non-technical terms:
              A very common failure mode on this model is that there are bad solder joints on the inverter transformers. This causes the controller to drive the transistors harder.

Scotty: "Kiptain, the backlights are nay gettin enough pow'r, I'll tell the trannies to kick it up a wee bit"

Kirk: "Who the eff let trannies on my ship"

Sulu: "Oooh, did someone say trannies??",

Anyway, the c5707s and the Fets of which I canna rememerrrr the parrrt number die (usually shorting oot) and sometimes takes out the picofuse just for grins.

Some folks have replaced the fuse and the bad transistors, only to have the same thing happen again, because they dinna resolder the transforrrrmers.

That's my understanding of the situation filtered through about 3 Crown Royals, and a beer or 2.
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by yofreke View Post
                Alright, so just remove current solder, take them out, read to them some, put them back in? I will do it, but why?
                Possible technical explanation ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=269
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Some time is ccfl backlight is bad that cost shut off too,

Comment

A very common failure mode on this model is that there are bad solder joints on the inverter transformers. This causes the controller to drive the transistors harder.

Scotty: "Kiptain, the backlights are nay gettin enough pow'r, I'll tell the trannies to kick it up a wee bit"

Anyway, the c5707s and the Fets of which I canna rememerrrr the parrrt number die (usually shorting oot) and sometimes takes out the picofuse just for grins.

Some folks have replaced the fuse and the bad transistors, only to have the same thing happen again, because they dinna resolder the transforrrrmers.

That's my understanding of the situation filtered through about 3 Crown Royals, and a beer or 2.
                    So even if the connections look fine, they could actually be bad? Just re-melting the connections won't do (cheap soldering wick is the devil)?

EDIT: Also, which fuses will need checking? I'm too unfamiliar with LCD repair, as this is the first one i'm tackling.
                    Last edited by yofreke; 02-20-2011, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                      Yeah, that's what I meant to say...

Comment

That was absolutely great. Are you available for parties.
                        Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Working...
                        X