Fluke 27 possibly for $10 on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluke 27 possibly for $10 on ebay

A while back, this ebay seller was listing Meterman 34XRs for a starting bid of $9.99 and they did not sell well. They often went without a bid or only had one 1 bid.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...02&postcount=8

It was a great deal and at least one person on badcaps took advantage of it and bought 2.

Well, that same seller, has listed some Fluke 27/FMs. These are the legendary Fluke 27/FMs issued to the military and are built like tanks.

One auction just ended and there was only 1 bidder and that person got the Fluke 27/FM for $9.99. It came with Fluke TL75 test leads, HV probe, and nice case. See

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160847655346

The remaining ones

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150860372383

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160847666939

So for $10 + shipping, USA members can get a really good legendary multimeter for really cheap. I would bid myself, but the seller has blocked all international customers from bidding. :-(

I have a Fluke 27 (non true RMS version) myself.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 07-22-2012, 07:42 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Re: Fluke 27 possibly for $10 on ebay

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
    I would bid myself, but the seller has blocked all international customers from bidding. :-(
    What's the going rate for this type of meter?
    Do you want me to bid on for you then mail it to canada?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bill View Post
      What's the going rate for this type of meter?
      Last year, they were all the rage because the government did an upgrade cycle so many Fluke 27/FMs were selling for $75+. Now that people have gotten them, the price has been trending downwards.

Some sellers are still asking $175 for an used one, but they are in dreamland.

Do you want me to bid on for you then mail it to canada?
      Believe me, if I could get cheap shipping to Canada from the seller, I would not have posted this "deal" for forum members.

I think the "reshipping" on your part to me would not make it economical. So for you to win at $10, pay $20 shipping to you + another $20 to me would make this "deal" less appealing. That is $40 or more in shipping costs. Thanks for the offer though.

Anyway, I have more Flukes than I need right now. In fact, I have another coming from a recent ebay auction win. I love people who use cell phones to post crappy small pictures, use the "wrong" description, charge high shipping costs and post no details because it scares away buyers. Obviously this is the complete opposite of what I insist people do when the come here for help.
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 07-22-2012, 11:27 PM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It's funny and sad at the same time to sometimes see good meters like that not get sold for much yet you see many people bidding on those "brand new, high quality" 830B variants from China.

I just got myself a Radio Shack 22-812 for about $17 with S&H. Don't know about it's quality, but it has most of the features I needed, including temperature measurement (which is really important to me since I want to start doing proper oven reflows and maybe even build me a reflow machine later on).

I'm still kicking myself for missing on one deal. The multimeter on sale was an Amprobe AM-60. For $17, it was a pretty good meter IMO. It didn't have temperature, but I could have easily bought one of those type-K temperature meters with thermocouple for $5 shipped. Oh well. Let's see what this Radio Shack one is like. My 830D hasn't failed me yet, even though it's nearly 14 years old. But sometimes I need 2 multimeters when I'm experimenting with circuits on my breadboard.

I think I may also end up buying a capacitance meter since the Radio Shack only goes up to 40 uF. There's a cap meter for $13.

By the way, I wonder how those Chinese VC97 meters are like. You can often find them for $30 on ebay and they pack a lot of functions. They look very much like those Fluke 113/117 meters.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          I just got myself a Radio Shack 22-812 for about $17 with S&H.
          I think I saw this on ebay and thought about bidding. I think this model might have a problem with easily blown fuses. I will have to look and see if I'm getting confused with another model or not.

I'm still kicking myself for missing on one deal. The multimeter on sale was an Amprobe AM-60. For $17, it was a pretty good meter IMO.
          Haha, I bought one of those off ebay NIB for about $22, but I eventually sold it. It was a nice multimeter, but then I got a few Flukes.

By the way, I wonder how those Chinese VC97 meters are like. You can often find them for $30 on ebay and they pack a lot of functions.
          Stay away from those Vichy multimeters. Dave Jones tested the VC99 in the $50 shootout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoeUgMFLyAw

I have listed a number of "deals" that are significantly better than the VC97 for the same or less money.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It seems that the 22-811 has a problem with its fuse blowing even with proper use.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...howFullReviews

I have to take the reviews with a grain of salt because a lot of people don't know how to use a multimeter.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It seems that the 22-811 has a problem with its fuse blowing even with proper use.

I have to take the reviews with a grain of salt because a lot of people don't know how to use a multimeter.
              i take it they could possibly be measuring LIVE to NEUTRAL in the amp range instead of breaking the live connection,and measuring across the 2 ends ,i must admit my first time i used a multimeter many years ago ,i did the exact same thing !you live and learn...,fluke being the quality it is,i cant see any other option why it is blowing the fuse,apart from over voltage !
              fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
              please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Well, this Fluke 27/FM, which I didn't mention, ended for $13.01

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130735220302

It doesn't have any leads with it though.

Like I said, with patience, there can be a lot of bargians and deals found. No need to buy the crappy 830 style multimeters or Vichys.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yeah I saw those reviews as well. More like I take them with a spoonful of salt. I just saw the 22-811 at a Radio Shack yesterday - $44.-odd dollars. I think I did pretty okay with the 22-812.... If it works of course and if it has the temperature probe.

No need to buy the crappy 830 style multimeters or Vichys.
                  Sure the 830 is crappy and cheap. But for someone starting with electronics, I think it's fine. I've been using my 830D since I was 9. Mind you, that was back in 1999. Test probe wires did break a few times and the fuse blew due to me not being careful. But other than that, it has survived and I've fixed more electronics than I care to mention right now.

Also, I watched that EEVlog video you posted above, and honestly I don't know why Dave was raging that much over that Vichy 99. It seemed like a decent meter. Maybe not as durable and well made as the others, but the measurements were spot on and it worked fine.
                  I'm seriously considering buying one someday. Dave can go ahead and call me a dick head all he likes .

Comment

I'm seriously considering buying one someday.
                    Yes, but for $30, you have lots of choices in the used market from big name brands like Amprobe, Meterman, UEI, Extech, Ideal, Fluke etc.

Here is the True RMS version of the UEI featured in Dave's $100 multimeter shootout on ebay with a starting bid of $30 and a buy it now price of $40.

A new UEI DM393 sells for $142 US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200798028073

The above finished "second" in the $100 shootout to the BK Precision 2709b.

So given a choice of a new VC97 or an used DM393, I would go for the latter.

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/07/11/ee...i-t-part-1of2/

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/07/11/ee...i-t-part-2of2/

Obviously, it is your choice, but I'm just trying to give you an idea from someone who has done a lot of research into this area and "pricing" dynamics on ebay.

PS. The UEI DM393 is a decent price at $30, but I have seen better deals like the Meterman 34XR mentioned earlier in post #1 going for $10. It has temperature and measures up to 4000uF.
                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 07-26-2012, 01:32 AM.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

PS. You have a huge advantage living in the USA wrt to ebay bids since most sellers won't ship outside the USA or charge insane shipping prices.

For others around the globe, they may have no choice but the poorly made 830s or Vichys like brands for a number of reasons. For American's though, there are so many options, choices, and supply, you can get a better built multimeter for not much money.
                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 07-26-2012, 01:42 AM.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

By the way, I wonder how those Chinese VC97 meters are like. You can often find them for $30 on ebay and they pack a lot of functions. They look very much like those Fluke 113/117 meters.
                        I forgot to mention that I managed to buy a working Fluke 117 for $28.

So again, with patience, $30 gives you a lot of choice.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes, but for $30, you have lots of choices in the used market from big name brands like Amprobe, Meterman, UEI, Extech, Ideal, Fluke etc.
                          True.
                          But the real question is, do you want something "brand new, high quality" made in China or something used and very high quality not made in China?

In all seriousness, it all depends on how much time you want to spend waiting/looking for a good deal. Sometimes there can be lots of good ones, other times not so many. When I was looking, I couldn't find that many. Most of the Fluke 113/114/115/117 that I saw went upwards of $50 very quickly.

Originally posted by retiredcaps
                          I forgot to mention that I managed to buy a working Fluke 117 for $28.
                          That's a very good deal! Worthy candidate for the Best Free/Cheap Scores thread.

Comment

Most of the Fluke 113/114/115/117 that I saw went upwards of $50 very quickly.
                            The Fluke 110 series is Made in China, but Dave Jones did a review and teardown of the Fluke 117 and found the build quality just as good as the Made In USA Flukes. So China can make high quality goods.

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/02/08/ee...-and-teardown/

Six Fluke 113s sold for less than $40 in the last 2 weeks. If I see something of interest in the $30 range with a Buy It Now price, I'll send you a PM. However, you will have to act fast to get the deal.

And yes, it does take patience and time. I find bidding on ebay with those 2 aforementioned traits helps my investing in stocks for the long term. I make way less errors when I know I have a big margin of safety.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

hell you can do better at yardsales if you watch.
                              got a fluke 73 III for $5 last week.battery dead.the guy said its cheap for a reason no returns.reason was a dead battery!he gave me a clean htx-202 that is "dead"
                              battery pack rebuild brought it to life.
                              given a choice i will always go for old school quality stuff even if i have to give it tlc.
                              those old flukes are a steal!

Comment

So China can make high quality goods.

Yes, it's pretty much you get what you pay for (if you're lucky).

If I see something of interest in the $30 range with a Buy It Now price, I'll send you a PM. However, you will have to act fast to get the deal.
                                Well, I already bought the RS 22-812 meter, so I'm set for now. I may later end up buying a cap meter for about $13 and/or an extra temperature meter with probe for $5, but will see. Next week or so, I might go MIA for a few weeks so I probably won't be buying anything.
                                Thanks for the offer, though.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                  got a fluke 73 III for $5 last week.battery dead.

Man you find some real great deals. The 4 AA nimh packs for $1 and now the Fluke 73 III.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Personally I feel less excited about the "great deals" when it comes to old industrial items.

If the seller is not a home user, and item as first hand of ownership, then there is several risks.

One of them is the device to was in some sort of factory and exposed to dangerous chemicals or radiation.

Once, I did found a "great deal" about one 27 covered with some chemical that was looking like varnish, which the seller no matter of how many cleaning agents and solvents he tried to use on it (so to clean it up and get a better price) he failed to succeed.

If those "great deals" translates to " Dangerous and unhealthy devices" which will enter in your home !! Then they are not "great deals".

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                                      One of them is the device to was in some sort of factory and exposed to dangerous chemicals or radiation.
                                      Radiation doesn't contaminate things... It could damage a semiconductor though.
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                        Radiation doesn't contaminate things... It could damage a semiconductor though.
                                        I will just disagree.
                                        Unfortunately many medical equipment are also sources of significant amounts of radiation.

This subject, about contaminated items sold on eBay, is something that many sellers are closing their eyes, due the fact that most of them just hunts the profit.

Any way, my advice to all is to watch out, and buy your goods from sources which looks to have experience about what they doing.

I got my first Fluke 87V at sparkling condition from one DJ in Hawaii,
                                        not a great deal but a safe one, in the worst scenario the meter would be contaminated with cocktails of Martini

The old bench type multimeters are a bit as more safer bet, even so all three that I got from ebay ( 2 from USA & 1 from UK) , I did took them apart and washed out the exterior covers with strong cleaning agents in a mix with chlorine.
                                        This an standard thing that I do as decontamination from the existence of chemicals.

It is interesting viewing people to care about getting items from "smoke free homes " and to not get alerted about the possibility of those items to were in extremely unhealthy places prior getting them.

Comment

Working...
                                        X