Viewsonic vp2130b - Shut off and will not power up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic vp2130b - Shut off and will not power up

I was just sitting in front of the computer when all of a sudden the monitor lost all power, as if someone had unplugged it. I tried turning it back on and unplugging/re-plugging without luck. I even tried it on a different computer. There are no illuminating power lights at all on the monitor. I have opened it up and do not see any bulging/leaking capacitors. I think it may be a fuse issue, but I have no idea where to start. Pictures of the inverter board, PS board and main board included. Thanks for any help!

**took pictures out - moved to 3rd post
    Last edited by ljbrandt; 04-03-2012, 05:44 PM. Reason: Turned pics into thumbnails

Re: Viewsonic vp2130b - Shut off and will not power up

Hi ljbrandt,

Can you edit your post and add the pics using manage attachments instead of having them in line it will help with people trying to offer you advice.

Can you also take a good picture of the underneath of the power supply please.

Do you have a mulitmeter and do you know how to use it?
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
      Hi ljbrandt,

Can you edit your post and add the pics using manage attachments instead of having them in line it will help with people trying to offer you advice.
      Done

Can you also take a good picture of the underneath of the power supply please.
      Sure

Do you have a mulitmeter and do you know how to use it?
      Yes and kinda..only used it to test thermostats on my electric dryer, but I think I wouldn't have any problems figuring it out.
      Attached Files

Comment

I have put a couple of arrows on the fuses that you need to check.

With the monitor completely unplugged put your multimeter on the OHM setting and see what readings you get on the fuses.
        Attached Files

Comment

With the monitor completely unplugged put your multimeter on the OHM setting and see what readings you get on the fuses.
          You forgot this one too (circled in red)

-Ben
          Attached Files
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

The more eyes the better :-)

Comment

Well, despite using a cheap harbor freight multimeter, both fuses tested at about 1.5/1.6 ohms (roughly the same as if I tested a bare piece of metal). This is only the 2nd time I've used the multimeter, but I'm sure it's not a good sign if the reading starts bouncing around depending on how firmly I'm holding the base unit.

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                You forgot this one too (circled in red)

-Ben
                Also tested at 1.5ohms

Comment

This power supply is always on, there is no ON/OFF command, the rectangular fuses, one is for the 12Vdc, another one is for 20Vdc. Check to see if you have any voltage on the fuses you can use the mounting holes on the top right of the bottom view of the power supply board as your cold side black meter probe, red probe each fuse. Make sure the toggle power switch is on. From the way the boards look brown from over heated, they may have a bunch of bad caps.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                    This power supply is always on, there is no ON/OFF command, the rectangular fuses, one is for the 12Vdc, another one is for 20Vdc. Check to see if you have any voltage on the fuses you can use the mounting holes on the top right of the bottom view of the power supply board as your cold side black meter probe, red probe each fuse. Make sure the toggle power switch is on. From the way the boards look brown from over heated, they may have a bunch of bad caps.
                    Do I do this with the power board plugged in?

Comment

I have the same kind of problem. I would check to see if you have HV to start go on youtube and watch and learn. It could be your HOT did you test it? If you have no power what so ever.

My screen squeezes horizontally, but my led stays on.

Comment

All you need is the AC power cord connected to the power supply by itself. Just be real careful not to touch any part of the board with you hands, you should have the AC plug plugged into GFI AC outlet.
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

x-----------------------x Sorry. Delete this msg.

Comment

Well, I finally had a chance to test all 3 fuses and all of them are reading zero volts DC. What to do now...

Comment

Originally posted by ljbrandt View Post
                              Well, I finally had a chance to test all 3 fuses and all of them are reading zero volts DC. What to do now...
                              You normally would test each fuse with power off and your meter set to 20 ohms resistance setting. Approx. 0 ohms indicates a good fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                You normally would test each fuse with power off and your meter set to 20 ohms resistance setting. Approx. 0 ohms indicates a good fuse.
                                All three fuses tested again. All came out reading almost 0 ohms (1.2,1.3,1.2).

Should I just start replacing all of the caps on this board?

Comment

Check for DC voltages on the output pins.
                                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                    Check for DC voltages on the output pins.
                                    Anyway you can identify the output pins in one of the attached pictures? Also, I assume this is with a/c power plugged in, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ljbrandt View Post
                                      Anyway you can identify the output pins in one of the attached pictures? Also, I assume this is with a/c power plugged in, right?
                                      The multicoloured wires going into the connector, top left. With AC power applied and board installed in monitor, check voltage on each pin at DC 20V with the red probe. Place black probe in an exposed screw hole or metal part of the frame.
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                        The multicoloured wires going into the connector, top left. With AC power applied and board installed in monitor, check voltage on each pin at DC 20V with the red probe. Place black probe in an exposed screw hole or metal part of the frame.
                                        Okay, I got it. Here are the results.

Purple - 0v
                                        Blue - 0v
                                        Green - 20v
                                        Yellow - 20v
                                        Orange - 0v
                                        Red - 0v
                                        Brown - 12v
                                        Black - 12v

Hope this helps.
                                        Last edited by ljbrandt; 04-07-2012, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X