X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic P4 Overclock

Hello everybody!
    Right now I'm trying to get my P4 640 Prescott LGA775 3.2GHz to 4GHz
    I'm at 3.7 with a 1.35V vcore right now, I'm running prime95 on it and am going to go take a walk and if there aren't any error by the time i get back I'll try a few more MHz

Re: Epic P4 Overclock

With the money you'll spend in electricity in a month powering that, you could probably buy a new dual core processor that's faster than that 4 ghz cpu .

Comment

But that's no fun and I don't pay the power bill... :P
      I'm at 3.8GHz, 1.4V right now. Stress testing in progress...

Comment

Had to boost the DIMM voltage to 2.8, crappy old DDR I think it's holding back my OC. At 2.6, memtest freaked out instantly. At 2.7 it took a little longer, at 2.8 it hasn't errored on my yet.

Edit: Prime95 dies almost instantly. Going back to 3.84GHz, 1.4V vcore, 2.7v DIMM, seemed stable, I'm going to do a longer stress test and verify stability on this, but I think it's a winner!
        Last edited by shovenose; 11-03-2011, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Now good luck keeping that under 60C. If it runs over 60 that means it throttles and your overclock is pointless.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

^ Exactly what I was thinking. Make sure you're using a good cooler, like a CM hyper 212
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Sorry you couldn't get your space heater to running more than 4GHz.

Comment

It's a tower cooler with 6 heatpipes and I think a 92mm fan inside. Then two 120mm case fans pointing upwards directly above it. the airflow of the cooler is towards the back of the case, where this is an open 120mm fan hole.

Comment

On a good board with good memory and a good cooler with proper case cooling that CPU should hit 4Ghz easy on air with no throttling. Pentium D's or Core 2 Duo's will eat it for breakfast though and can also overclock well.

Comment

My Sony 34XBR960 34" tube TV and PS3 are going to keep my room warm this winter. I'm glad you got something figured out for your heating needs too!

Sounds like a fun project, enjoy. I've got a 2.8 lga775 prescott that I kinda want to mess around with too.

Comment

Ah, it's a 775. Good for you. I have a 2.4GHz s478 one that will run at 3.6GHz stock volts. Allows for using DDR400 properly. However, that chip ate 3 motherboards. I gave up on it after the third one failed.
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

As for socket 478 I have a 1.8 Celeron 128 cache 400fsb (30 cap version which is rare) That I have managed to get to run stable at 3.8Ghz on air on a ASUS P4P800.

Comment

The sad thing is that any good K8 on Socket 939 or AM2 will match or beat these OC'd Netburst CPUs.

Any good Conroe-L Celeron will destroy them all while running ice cold. (Celeron 4xx on LGA775)

Comment

Ill be getting 2gb or 3gb ram soon, then I think it will be fast!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                              Hello everybody!
                              Right now I'm trying to get my P4 640 Prescott LGA775 3.2GHz to 4GHz
                              I'm at 3.7 with a 1.35V vcore right now, I'm running prime95 on it and am going to go take a walk and if there aren't any error by the time i get back I'll try a few more MHz
                              You can find out quicker if you run Linpack. Prime95 needs 6+ hours when Linpack only needs 2. I recommend you get LinX over at Xtremesystems.

And I heard that 3.7 isn't much for a Prescott. Over at various boards, 4.0 was common.
                              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-05-2011, 06:58 PM.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Though be warned, Linpack will cook your CPU like nothing else. If you don't have a lot of RAM it doesn't even take 2 hours btw - more like 30 minutes.

Comment

Damn used RAM!
                                  I got 2x Corsair XMS 3200 (with the black heatspreaders with activity LEDs) one stick is dead and one brings scrambled gibberish to my screen. Also got OCZ PC3200 2x512MB and it boots but then XP does a BSOD before the login screen. I'll return this crap. I'll order another identical stick of the Supertalent 1GB junk I have in there on eBay, get the benefits of 2GB RAM and Dual Channel, and be happy with it. None of this corsair and ocz trash...

PS: I'm running at 240FSB stable now, 1.4V. I'll leave it there...

Comment

I still can't see why in the hell you want to do this for any reason other than you just want to tilt at windmills for a while, which is cool... been there done that.

But keep in mind that DDR memory is worth 3-4 times more gig for gig than DDR3 at the moment... meaning with a system with 2 gigs of DDR you could turn around and sell on ebay and then buy 8 gigs of new ddr3 memory and put it in a system that would run circles around what your fapping with now.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                      one brings scrambled gibberish to my screen.
                                      That's usually the graphics card or PSU being too small.
                                      (more likely with a sub-100 W PSU and adding 2 HDDs )

I know that usually don't occur with dedicated graphics. (not using onboard)

A RAM issue usually just causes an error or the BIOS to bleep furiously at you.
                                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-06-2011, 06:44 AM.
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Um... it gibberished the screen. I know it's not the PSU (Antec 650W)
                                        It's the same thing that happens if you remove RAM while your PC is on. (yes, I've tried it to a junk Athlon XP machine just to see what would happen)
                                        The second stick of 1GB was only $16.

Comment

Working...
                                        X