Vizio GV42LHDTV No Digital Channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio GV42LHDTV No Digital Channels

Hello, I need help figuring this one out.
    I'd appreciate any help.

My 42" Vizio GV42LHDTV has two symptoms.
    When turning set on it (any input source) it will not respond to any commands from remote or side panel buttons for about 30 - 40 seconds (ie: volume control, channel changes, input selector changes, menu, etc. The second symptom is that it does not receive digital tv channels. In menu when scanning tv channels it will scan analog ok, then it will not attemp to scan the digital channels at all, just stalls. If I input a digital channel manually it just blinks and I get a blue screen. All other inputs and functions work as expected. For now I watch OTA tv through the composite input using a set top tuner.

All DC voltages from power supply check ok. No swelled or leaky caps.
    All Voltage regulators on main board check ok. So I bought a replacement main board. Put new main board in and same exact problems.

Does anyone here have any ideas on this problem?
    Could a bad T-Con board be causing this even though I have no backlight or video scanning problems?

Re: Vizio GV42LHDTV No Digital Channels

probally the control board.tcon would only affect picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Friedfarmer View Post
      Hello, I need help figuring this one out.
      I'd appreciate any help.

My 42" Vizio GV42LHDTV has two symptoms.
      When turning set on it (any input source) it will not respond to any commands from remote or side panel buttons for about 30 - 40 seconds (ie: volume control, channel changes, input selector changes, menu, etc. The second symptom is that it does not receive digital tv channels. In menu when scanning tv channels it will scan analog ok, then it will not attemp to scan the digital channels at all, just stalls. If I input a digital channel manually it just blinks and I get a blue screen. All other inputs and functions work as expected. For now I watch OTA tv through the composite input using a set top tuner.

All DC voltages from power supply check ok. No swelled or leaky caps.
      All Voltage regulators on main board check ok. So I bought a replacement main board. Put new main board in and same exact problems.

Does anyone here have any ideas on this problem?
      Could a bad T-Con board be causing this even though I have no backlight or video scanning problems?
      I had a Vizio GV42LHDTV and I had the same problem with the tuner not scanning for digital channels, this is a firmware problem. I had to replace the main board to resolve the problem. you can try to reset your TV back to factory setting as a last resort.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=service+mode
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by ecking767 View Post
          I had a Vizio GV42LHDTV and I had the same problem with the tuner not scanning for digital channels, this is a firmware problem. I had to replace the main board to resolve the problem. you can try to reset your TV back to factory setting as a last resort.
          I replaced the main board already and it still has the exact same problems.
          My GV42LHDTV has a special features page on menu options with "reset all settings" I've used that and still no change. I've done the holding power button on the panel, 30 seconds with the set unplugged which I read on google searches, still no change. Perhaps the main board which I bought has a firmware problem also? I bought it from tristatemodule, they said it came from a new set and was thoroughly tested.

Comment

When you say you try to scan digital channel and it stalls, what do you mean?

Did it used to work?

It would be very unlikely that 2 main boards would have something like a bad digital tuner.

Comment

Originally posted by Friedfarmer View Post
              I replaced the main board already and it still has the exact same problems.
              My GV42LHDTV has a special features page on menu options with "reset all settings" I've used that and still no change. I've done the holding power button on the panel, 30 seconds with the set unplugged which I read on google searches, still no change. Perhaps the main board which I bought has a firmware problem also? I bought it from tristatemodule, they said it came from a new set and was thoroughly tested.
              I have the board part board number,
              etch on board: 0171-2272-2213
              white label: 3642-0122-150 (3B)

If you have the same parts number I believe there was an firmware problem with this board. I brought the same board but I made sure the (3B) in the replacement board I order had a high number or letter.

What is the part number for your board?

I would return that board back to tristatemodule.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
                When you say you try to scan digital channel and it stalls, what do you mean?

Did it used to work?

It would be very unlikely that 2 main boards would have something like a bad digital tuner.
                On "auto search" window in channel menu it would finish scanning the analog section and then never start the digital section. I could leave it there for hours.

On the original main board it used to scan digital channels, also bring them in when I would directly input them, then it started to become intermittent. Sometimes I could temporarily fix it by selecting "rgb" with input button then when it would shut down, I would hit input again and scroll to tv fast and it would work again. Eventually even that trick wouldn't work. It definitely acted like some sort of firmware or flash problem. Through searching this wonderful forum, I learned the correct output voltages of all the voltage regulators for my model and tested them all. They were all in spec. The power supply voltages are also all in spec as well.

I also agree that it would be highly unlikely that 2 boards would have the exact same 2 problems. Could another board be causing my problems? Although the dc voltages of the power supply are in spec, could it be a filtering problem? What puzzles me even more than the lack of digital channels is that, no button on the remote or side panel will function for about 30 seconds after initial video screen appears (when the automatic info banner appears) when I turn the tv on. This occurs no matter what input I start the tv with, not just tv. And when I turn the tv off, the video goes off right away but it takes about 30 seconds for the standby light to go from white to orange and then I hear the click. I believe the problems are related because they both appeared at the same time and disappeared at the same time, when these issues were intermittent.
                Last edited by Friedfarmer; 12-30-2012, 06:44 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Originally posted by ecking767 View Post
                  I have the board part board number,
                  etch on board: 0171-2272-2213
                  white label: 3642-0122-150 (3B)

If you have the same parts number I believe there was an firmware problem with this board. I brought the same board but I made sure the (3B) in the replacement board I order had a high number or letter.

What is the part number for your board?

I would return that board back to tristatemodule.
                  My board number is 0171-2272-2133
                  Sticker number is 3642-0012-0150 (3C)

I will return the board if I can rule out all other causes for this problem.
                  I may very well have 2 good boards here.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
                    Its not a bad tuner, the scanning of the digital channels never get store in to memory or get completed. The scanning of channels stay at 0% for the digital channels. Its not a tuner problem.
                    its possible to have two bad board. its happen to me when I made a purchase of a T-CON from shopjimmy .
                    Last edited by ecking767; 12-30-2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Just to let you know, I had a problem like this with the same type of vizio set and I didnt find a way to fix it so I sold it. So... it's not just you.

Check below for the thread that I started with that TV. You'll find that someone else had the sampe problem.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ighlight=GV42L
                      The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech View Post
                        Just to let you know, I had a problem like this with the same type of vizio set and I didnt find a way to fix it so I sold it. So... it's not just you.

Check below for the thread that I started with that TV. You'll find that someone else had the sampe problem.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ighlight=GV42L
                        Yeah, It's definitely a strange one. I saw your posts before when I first starting researching this problem. Was wishing that you had solved it. I'm going to look further into the power supply, there may be some ripple voltage causing the problem.

Comment

I had the big brother of your set (GV47L) that did the exact same thing. Figured it needed the main board replaced so I sold it at a steep discount.
                          Mainboards for the 47" on Ebay run about $115 (US Dollars) and up.

Comment

Hi - Wanted to provide my experience with this issue as it may help others.

I have the same Vizio TV GV42L and after cutting the cord and installing an OTA antenna I needed to get the TV to recognize digital channels.

Unfortunately I ran into the same issue others experienced-- after scanning the analog channels it would stop. I tried resetting and all the other typical troubleshooting things others have mentioned. No luck.

I called Vizio support and they suggested a new board.

Then I finally found the original remote and went through the same reset procedures and scan using the remote (as opposed to the menu on the TV).

It worked. I hope this helps someone else!

Comment

Did you check the DU4 voltage regulator? I think that was the problem with the board on the TV I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Comment

Hi all, I'm new at this forum and this is my first post.
                                I got a GV47L for repair with a power supply issue. After repairing this I detected the same "digital" problem. The demodulator is definitely not the reason. IF out shows changing patterns during scan. Solution is to load up new firmware. Does someone know how to do it?

Thx

Rafael

Comment

Originally posted by Berkonet View Post
                                  Hi - Wanted to provide my experience with this issue as it may help others.

I have the same Vizio TV GV42L and after cutting the cord and installing an OTA antenna I needed to get the TV to recognize digital channels.

Unfortunately I ran into the same issue others experienced-- after scanning the analog channels it would stop. I tried resetting and all the other typical troubleshooting things others have mentioned. No luck.

I called Vizio support and they suggested a new board.

Then I finally found the original remote and went through the same reset procedures and scan using the remote (as opposed to the menu on the TV).

It worked. I hope this helps someone else!
                                  How do you do a scan with only the remote?

Comment

Hi everyone. Because of Cox Cable and the "Mini Box" I thought it was time to cut the cable. I also have a Vizio and had the same problem as people posted but I figured it out. In the settings before you do your "Auto Scan" go to "Channel Skip" and de-select (remove the check) from EVERY channel. After you do this do an Auto Scan and enjoy your new digital channels! (Make sure you attached your HD antenna) For some reason the Vizio tuner will not pick up both analogue and digital channels in the scan and no where in the manual or anywhere else does it tell you to do this. I did how ever get 1 analogue channel after I de selected all of them. Go figure.

Anyways, if anyone is still having this issue, I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by malcolmar View Post
                                      Hi everyone. Because of Cox Cable and the "Mini Box" I thought it was time to cut the cable. I also have a Vizio and had the same problem as people posted but I figured it out. In the settings before you do your "Auto Scan" go to "Channel Skip" and de-select (remove the check) from EVERY channel. After you do this do an Auto Scan and enjoy your new digital channels! (Make sure you attached your HD antenna) For some reason the Vizio tuner will not pick up both analogue and digital channels in the scan and no where in the manual or anywhere else does it tell you to do this. I did how ever get 1 analogue channel after I de selected all of them. Go figure.

Anyways, if anyone is still having this issue, I hope this helps.

Can anyone confirm this? I have had a bunch of vizio tv's in here in the past and never really fingered it out?

Comment

It did not work for me and after having many of these sets to repair I have never found a solution.

Comment

Working...
                                        X