Found server off, 1 cap dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found server off, 1 cap dead

So I had an LGA775 server with a Celeron D 3.33GHz in it. Asus motherboard. I came home to find my server off, and knew something was wrong...cracked it open and found one dead cap right below the RAM slots, it's an L-Tec. It's the only one bulging on the mobo. What are the chances that others are dead but not bulging? Could the computer have shut down to save itself just because of one cap? Mobo probably has 25,000 running hours. Here's a pic:

and here's the larger one: http://*************/f/819/dscn0529vl.jpg/

That's the only L-Tec cap I can find on the mobo. Most are OST's and KZG There are some polymer ones too but I can't read them. It has a nice FSP unit in it, so I'm not worried about the PSU sending out bad voltages. Although this thing was powered by a Bestec for about 14,000 hours, 8,000 on an Antec Earthwatts, and a few thousand on the FSP.
    Last edited by Pentium4; 03-19-2012, 01:38 PM.

Re: Found server off, 1 cap dead

Well, do check the caps in the FSP, as FSP likes Teapo
    as you probably know, OST caps the UCC KZG are known to fail without bloating. Try a full recap and see if it still works.
    However, exactrly what motherboard is it? It could have a faulty nVidia or simply ASDS (asus sudden death syndrome)

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
      Well, do check the caps in the FSP, as FSP likes Teapo
      as you probably know, OST caps the UCC KZG are known to fail without bloating. Try a full recap and see if it still works.
      However, exactrly what motherboard is it? It could have a faulty nVidia or simply ASDS (asus sudden death syndrome)
      The FSP is only 3 months old, all the caps in it are good. It's an Asus PTGD1-LA. I trust the OST's in the FSP more so than the Jamicon's in the Bestec I hit the power button and it still turns on, didn't check if it displays a screen though. But can 1 cap cause the mobo to not work? How do you know how important that cap is?

Comment

why didn't you do a preventitive recap on that thing? I can see other crap brands in addition to that one bad one
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
          why didn't you do a preventitive recap on that thing? I can see other crap brands in addition to that one bad one
          I'm pretty new to this stuff. Trying to learn!

Comment

Whew OK it's got an Intel chipset not an nVidia.
            Go ahead and re-cap all the crap caps with new good suitable Low ESR ones and see if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              Whew OK it's got an Intel chipset not an nVidia.
              Go ahead and re-cap all the crap caps with new good suitable Low ESR ones and see if it works.
              Might need some help getting replacement caps. Should I leave all of the polymer ones? And I think there are a few Sanyo's that I can leave. Edit: Yep, I can confirm that all the polymer caps are Sanyo

I found some Yellow caps with a K on the top, can't find a brand name, any ideas?
              Last edited by Pentium4; 03-19-2012, 03:52 PM.

Comment

replace most of them with the tri symbol and ALL brown KGZ's. Hmm, wait a minute......

ok, replace AT LEAST the ones in the picture. Preferrably the OST's next to that bloated green one and any OST's of the same size. They might not be a problem, but sometimes they can be

wait a minute...is this an HP board? hah, thats funny

edit: I didn't highlight any towards the back cause I can't see from this picture what they are
                Attached Files
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                  replace most of them with the tri symbol and ALL brown KGZ's. Hmm, wait a minute......

ok, replace AT LEAST the ones in the picture. Preferrably the OST's next to that bloated green one and any OST's of the same size. They might not be a problem, but sometimes they can be

wait a minute...is this an HP board? hah, thats funny

edit: I didn't highlight any towards the back cause I can't see from this picture what they are
                  Sweet, thanks Uranium! Yeah, it's from an HP hahahaha are they low ESR?

Edit: OH THE HORROR. There are GSC's on there too...They aren't bulging but I should replace those for sure right?
                  Last edited by Pentium4; 03-19-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Yes! They need to

Comment

GSC = Garbage Stuffed Capacitors. Nowadays, they are called Sacon. they are the worst brand of cap on the planet.
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Haha okay, want me to list all of their info so I can get some help on what to replace them with? And c_hegge, it's your favorite company, Asus

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                          But can 1 cap cause the mobo to not work?
                          Absolutely.
                          How do you know how important that cap is?
                          Knowing ASUS boards and how they like to use the bare minimum number of components to get things to work, this cap is probably very important. Actually, looking at the cap's proximity to the SB and that toroidal coil next to it, this probably supplies power to your Northbrige.
                          And just FYI, I have a dead Shuttle motherboard here with a blown Northbridge supply MOSFET (and possibly its controller too) because of a few bad Ost caps. Still need to scope it to see the kind of damage that shorted MOSFET did.

I found some Yellow caps with a K on the top, can't find a brand name, any ideas?
                          Those are Fujitsu FP (functional polymer) caps. They are good and you don't need to replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            Absolutely.

Knowing ASUS boards and how they like to use the bare minimum number of components to get things to work, this cap is probably very important. Actually, looking at the cap's proximity to the SB and that toroidal coil next to it, this probably supplies power to your Northbrige.
                            And just FYI, I have a dead Shuttle motherboard here with a blown Northbridge supply MOSFET (and possibly its controller too) because of a few bad Ost caps. Still need to scope it to see the kind of damage that shorted MOSFET did.

Those are Fujitsu FP (functional polymer) caps. They are good and you don't need to replace them.
                            Wow, thanks for answering all my questions! When I have time I'll list all the specs to the caps that need to be replaced. I appreciate the help!

Comment

I'm sure I've got good quality replacements for every lytic on that board. Plan on replacing everything 680uF and up.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                              http://folding.stanford.edu/
                              Team : 49813
                              Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                I'm sure I've got good quality replacements for every lytic on that board. Plan on replacing everything 680uF and up.
                                Nice to see you Topcat! I'm sure I'll be contacting you soon! There are lots of low end caps on here. I'd like to AT LEAST replace the L-tec, GSC, and KZG

Comment

Working...
                                X