My latest Quadcore......even I need a little help on this one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My latest Quadcore......even I need a little help on this one

He said they're all Thunder K8W's, which are dual CPU - http://www.tyan.com/archive/products...hunderk8w.html
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

^
      You need one, even though it has an AGP. They're like poor little shelter dogs, they need a loving home!
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Haha.... it'd be faster than my current setup processor-wise... but not in the video department. And I don't have any ECC DDR to put in it.
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

all my ddr is in use... darn... i
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
            I'm not sure if it'll run non-ECC RAM, I'll test it and find out. I cleaned the lab last week and found a pile of 1GB DDR1 non-ECC sticks I didn't even know I had.

Noah, there's still a lot of really nice AGP cards out there, and usually really cheap!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

those 1gb modules are nice... boy was i happy when i got 4 apida 1gb ddr 3200 high-density sticks for free! they were in original packaging, opened, used once for a quick test (turns out the guy's dell didn't like them so well), this was in the same shipment that i got an ASUS a8n32-sli with a x2 3800+ and 4 512mb corsair ddr 3200 sticks... he gave me the stuff because the cpu had a bent pin... now that i am running 4gb in that 939 board, wow, i'm impressed. all i need now is the SLI adapter and another card (in the works)... then i will be virtually MAXED OUT! watch out kids!

i bet those boards run just as well. turns out i have the ddr, but not the use... still, how much per board?
              sigpic

Comment

I tested them all before I pulled the RAM out of them, they all ran fine. Passed testing without a hiccup. Caps are UCC's (most polymer), all good.

How's $80.00 for the board, 2x Opteron 250 (2.4GHz 64 bit) CPU's, HSF's, and IO shield? I didn't pay a whole lot for them, so I can pass that along to you guys if you want them.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

i'm good... for that much, my 939 will do just fine. i expected it to be high, server equipment is usually co$tly... unless you find it curbside or via a dumbass who cannot un-bend a 939 pin... or by way of an ASUS fanboy who will give ANYTHING for an ASUS board, even a less than average one! that said, i love my 2 asus boards, they rock (AMI bios helps, so you don't have to constantly reset cpu settings after every hard pre-post reboot, as well as being easy to mod!)
                  sigpic

Comment

^
                    Cheapskate.... That's dirt cheap for what you'd be getting.... it's cool though, I don't think I'll have any problem offing the rest of these. Actually, I'm going to keep one and make a server out of it, and send it down to the datacenter....but now I've got to find more RAM for it, since I robbed them all of their memory.

I assembled the system last night. I used those 2 WD Blue 160GB drives in a mirror for the OS. The 3ware controller likes them, so atleast they won't go to waste.

I ran into one hitch though......When I was installing Windows, it would boot from the CD, get to the point of 'starting windows', and then BSoD with a strange error of "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION".... I've never in all my years seen that one..... Long story short after googling possible solutions for a couple hours.... Apparently AMD chipsets for this platform can not run more than 6 ranks of RAM at DDR400 speed. To test this, I removed 4GB of the RAM, for a total of 12gb, windows installed without a hitch. If I slow the RAM speed down to DDR333, it runs perfect on all 16gb, so the information I researched was accurate. With 16gb, that makes 8 ranks, 12gb is 6 ranks....so I have a choice, I can run 12gb @ DDR400 or 16GB @ DDR333.... I haven't made up my mind how I want to run it yet....

Anyhow, it's alive and breathing. Pics to follow.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

That's not a bad price at all... just, the damn AGP slot... I had a 6800gt (PCIe native, with a bridge chip), but sold it when I got my current setup. The only AGP card I've got around here is a Number Nine SR9 16mb Savage 4 card that I've kept around for testing.
                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

i know its a good price, but for something i do not need or can afford right now, then i will likely not buy.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dood
                          The only AGP card I've got around here is a Number Nine SR9 16mb Savage 4 card that I've kept around for testing.
                          I have one of those in my junk collection too.
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

It'd be a nice replacement for my dual 3.06 xeon system. I got a nice AGP 512mb x1650pro, but I don't have any extra ddr ecc ram or 80 bucks to spare. Dang.

Comment

The last round of pics.......I hope nobody is on a dialup...... I removed all the motherboard heatsinks and scraped off the crusty heatsink compound and replaced it with fresh goop. Did all the final testing, and away I went!

The case has been waiting patiently for a couple weeks...

A few shots of the case itself:

SAS Backplane from the back side:

Midplane with 4x 80mm fans:

865W Supermicro PSU:

Box-o-goodies:

Motherboard test fit & standoffs mounted:

Motherboard installed and mounted up:

3ware 9550 installed:

2x 7600GT's mounted:

Those silly WD Blues that the GX620 and Imac didn't like:

Drives mounted in the SAS trays:

The SM "dummy drives" that come out of those SAS trays sure do make good screw holders:

Ready for the acid test:

It POST's:

3ware says hello to the Blues.....config'd in a mirror:

SLI Enabled:

Damn, that's a big case!

....AND FOLDING AWAY! SMP client, all 4 cores in use. This should bump my PPD a bit!

It's running 16gb of RAM at DDR333 speed (see above post as to why it won't run all 16gb @ ddr400 speed). I may try 12gb @ DDR400 speed and see how it does for with folding....

This project is now coming to a close finally...........
                              Attached Files
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

all that blue plastic reminds me of a ps2!!!

for the younger people, i'm referring to the ones from IBM, not sony!

Comment

i want that case

Comment

Working...
                                  X