Kodak MC3 Backup Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kodak MC3 Backup Battery

Today I picked up an old (2001) Kodak MC3 Video camera/mp3 player for $2.

It didn't work when I got home... it would flash the power light once when I gave it battery power.

I opened it up in a fashion similar to an EEVBlog Teardown Tuesday (no "Crazy Aussie Bloke" accent though ) and found a tiny SMD battery one one of the daughterboards... an MS621FE-IL36E.

It's rated for 3V, this one was putting out 1.1V . I got the idea that this one sat w/o AAAs for a long, long time.

While it may be a rechargeable cell I get the idea that it's toast if the output voltage was that low (right?).

It uses an apparently hard to find battery... The only place that even lists it is Digikey:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...36E-ND/1630704

The similar version (different lead layout, same coin cell) is the MS621FE-FL11E:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...057-ND/1889208

I have 3 choices:

1. Request the original part. I have a bad feeling it may be out of production or that I'd have to order 1000+ of them for them to go back in stock.

2. Buy the other part, snip the positive lead, and solder on a thin wire to simuate the missing lead. My concern here is that the solder may not wick since only the ends of the leads are tin coated.

3. Other.

Anybody have some advice here?
    Attached Files
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Kodak MC3 Backup Battery

A picture of where it has to fit might help - for test purposes could you wire in a laptop cellpack

EDIT

Rethink on your plan 2

Instead of snipping the + contact if there is room to bend it back ( I think
    the material is bendable but a bit springy) on itself then the solder tip
    will be on the outside. You could then solder an insulated wire to it and take
    it over the top (or round the side )and solder to the board on the other side
    Attached Files
    Last edited by selldoor; 08-13-2012, 04:27 AM.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

it's a tight squeeze. No room fir a bigger battery.

As for your edit, I had the same idea as an afterthought.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        While it may be a rechargeable cell I get the idea that it's toast if the output voltage was that low (right?).
        Yes, it's bad.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Are you sure the tabs are soldered with tin or regular solder? Usually they're most likely welded in place, so it's kinda hard to remove them.

But you should definitely be able to find batteries that are slightly another dimension

You should be able to solder thin magnet wire on the pcb pads where the tabs are soldered, which then allows you to possibly use slightly larger battery to which you connect the magnet wire with regular solder, hardened with some hot glue to lock it in place

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
            Are you sure the tabs are soldered with tin or regular solder? Usually they're most likely welded in place, so it's kinda hard to remove them.

But you should definitely be able to find batteries that are slightly another dimension

You should be able to solder thin magnet wire on the pcb pads where the tabs are soldered, which then allows you to possibly use slightly larger battery to which you connect the magnet wire with regular solder, hardened with some hot glue to lock it in place
            Look at the part drawings (from the manu.) in the original post. The tabs are indeed welded to the battery... but the ends intended to be SMD'd to the PCB are tin coated.
            sigpic

Comment

I soldered in a Laptop backup batt (2016 @ 2.8V).

So far no change. Maybe there is more wrong than just the battery?
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X