Identifying toasty resistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying toasty resistors

Oops, I meant TOasty, not tasty... (mod note- fixed!)

Hi all. I haven't had time, or space to do much lately but couldn't resist an ebay deal on a Tektronix function generator. I'll start a thread on that once the transistors arrive.

I think it's just 2 bad transistors and these 2 overheated resistors, but my old eyes are failing me.

These could be red brown black or orange brown black. Both measre 33.5 ohms. Any votes?

shown for camera colour accuracy, above are 220, below is a 330.

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ratdude747; 01-06-2012, 09:52 PM.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: Identifying tasty resistors

Originally posted by smason View Post
    These could be red brown black or orange brown black.
    I think orange brown black.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

They're not mine, but I'll second motion for Orange-Brown-Black.
      veritas odium parit

Comment

looks like brown brown black. the first band is too tan to be orange.

also fixed the title.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: Identifying toasty resistors

I also think Orange - Brown - Black,
          That gives you 31 OHMs 10% tollerance,
          That would fit with your 33.5 OHMs as resistors go higher when failing.

edit 3+4 resistor look like they have silver and gold tollerance bands, but you would be best judge of that
          Last edited by trebo; 01-07-2012, 05:20 AM.

Comment

What's the model number of the Tektronix function generator?

Comment

It's a CFG-280. I'm pretty sure it's not actually made by Tek, and from what I've heard service info is pretty difficult to obtain.
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I bought an old used Tektronics Oscope from them and was able to find a complete service manual really cheap on Ebay. Got on Teks site and they were very helpfull had good communications with them. I would contact them if you need anything and see what they will help you with.
                Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Originally posted by trebo View Post
                  I also think Orange - Brown - Black,
                  That gives you 31 OHMs 10% tollerance,
                  That would fit with your 33.5 OHMs as resistors go higher when failing.

edit 3+4 resistor look like they have silver and gold tollerance bands, but you would be best judge of that
                  This.

... though I doubt the resistance has drifted from failure with that reading, probably just a little residue on them plus probes and probe leads plus the 10% tolerance.

Probably silver 4th band that just took a tanned golden hue from running hot.

Comment

Thanks all. I'm going to go with 30 ohm and as soon as my transistors arrive via snail-mail, I'll fire it up and see what happens.

Comment

^ with higher wattage resistors so they don't get as hot anymore?

Comment

smason,

How'd you make out with the repair?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by wendtmk View Post
                          How'd you make out with the repair?
                          Continued here

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18736
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                            Thanks, Retired. I missed the new activity in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                            X