Nvidia 650Ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia 650Ti

Hello people, I got this gpu which gives me artifacts (white lines acros the screen).
    The PC detects the GPU but won't install the drivers, I boot into the PC and the lines are always there.
    Currently didn't do anything to it, so what do you people think what shall I do.

Re: Nvidia 650Ti

so lines in the bios screens too?

Comment

Yup.
      Just to say its 100% HW related, software has nothing to do with it .
      K i lied, the problems aren't in bios. I mean there its clean.

I wanted to replace the GK106-220-A2 (the actual chip) but can't find it anywhere "cheap". So I'll do a mild reflow on the GPU and the VRAM's and we will see.
      Last edited by senchire; 07-30-2014, 08:10 AM.

Comment

if the bios is clean, when do the lines appear?

Comment

Ok when i get into bios its fine, i get out on the post i see white lines. After that comes Loading operating system where i have no problems, next is the windows logo screen where its again crap.
          When i get into system the 650ti is detected but can't be installed "error".
          When i get into GPU-z no gpu clock is presented which is weird (GPU bga problem).
          So i'll post now some pics so that you see my problem.
          Also its weird that the GPU-z show me memory size "2990" while my gainward is 1024MB (that could indicate faulty samsung vram).
          Attached Files
          Last edited by senchire; 07-30-2014, 09:23 AM.

Comment

From the looks of it the memory is bad. I had the same issue with an AGP Nvidia 6800 Ultra that had the same issue after a while. I would overclock the heck out of it but that was also the only card I owned that suffered vRam failure since I also changed the vRam timings using a bios editor. Worked fine for a while until it suddenly stopped working.
            Last edited by chozo4; 07-30-2014, 01:45 PM.
            Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

I'd say its about the GPU, if you ask me why I will refer to my old 9800GT.
              Where I had red lines across whole screen, that is vram failure from my exp.
              But looking at these white lines etc, I'd say its the GPU.

Since its my I'll reball all what can be reballed, just so that I know in the future and can fix easier .
              Last edited by senchire; 07-30-2014, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Looks like memory-related BGA failure. Either on the GPU chip where the RAM lines are or on the RAM chips themselves.
                Reflow/rebal the GPU. If problem resists, reflow/reball RAM. Be careful with the RAM, it's very sensitive to overheating.
                Or better yet, remove and reball everything at once. That way, you only have to heat the whole PCB twice and not 40 million times for each chip.

Small chance it could also be a chipped resistor near the RAM chips. Give the board a very good visual check, especially if you got this video card used.
                Last edited by momaka; 07-30-2014, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I compared the GPU already to the on line image of the gainward version and the capacitors are fine (I mean in place).
                  Well regarding the RAM chips I can easy order them on line and replace them of course not all just if some are bad.
                  And the GPU is way to expensive and I'll reball it when I get some spare time, HP's are rushing over my store these days.
                  I bought the GPU quite cheap, so if I fix it I will have a good gaming GPU for FHD medium gaming ^^.
                  GPU is over 70E (new gpu is 120E so its way to much), and Vram's can be bought cheap.
                  All in all, I'll check everything but 1stly I'll reball the GPU unit, next vrams from bottom to the top (tough I am pretty sure that vrams aren't causing this, but its the GPU unit).

For reference I can take this site as I had the same experience with my 9800GT

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

The red/blue/green dots are caused by bad VRAM, while lines like my in the picture are caused mostly by a bad GPU.
                  Last edited by senchire; 07-31-2014, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X