BIOS programming cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIOS programming cards?

I see that there are these cards where you can remove your bios chip and use the card to flash the latest Bios. Apparently, you can do this repeatedly.

This solves the problem where you have aborted a Bios update and the board will now not boot.

Of course, you can also now BIOS chips online for your specific board.

Can anyone recommend a card or whether it's just better to buy a replacement BIOS chip.

I have several boards that may have BIOS problems, which is why I am interested.

Thanks in advance.

Re: BIOS programming cards?

Unless it's something you do regularly, I'd say just buy a preprogrammed chip.

I've had very good luck with this eBay seller: http://stores.ebay.com/bios-depot-2010
    Prices are a tad higher than average, but he's never sent me a dud. I'd glady pay the extra buck or two for the reliability and not having to ship things back and forth. I even had one case where that seller didn't have the model listed - I just sent him the model # of the chip and the .bin file, and he was able to flash a compatible chip properly for me.

In my experience, bios updates don't often fail unless the power goes out mid-flash, or the chip is damaged. If the chip is damaged and won't take a new flash, an EPROM programmer isn't likely to solve that.

If you're comfortable doing it, you can hotswap the bios out of another board and force flash it. This, of course, assumes that the bios chip is not soldered on the board, and that the two boards use the same socket and bios chip type. Check the chip type carefully. They may look identical, but could be different.

Comment

I use a Willem EPROM v5 purchased from www.sivava.com, it's very nice for the price.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

well just remember that not all bios's interface using the same method, most are LPC but not all.
        and most are PLCC package - soldered down.
        if your real unlucky it may be a 40pin TSOP package!

i desolder PLCC and fit a socket to the board - then prog them in my 48xp beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
          I use a Willem EPROM v5 purchased from www.sivava.com, it's very nice for the price.
          So I looked at the site. Questions: I assume this device connects to a working computer via a serial port or usb port. I assume that you attach whatever Bios chip you wish to program to the device. You start up the Willem Bios program on the computer and program the chip that you have attached to the programmer. I assume you download the BIOS code from the board manufactureres site and use this device to program your Bios chip.
          Advantage over flasing on-board is that if the on-board chip is already "bricked" by someone misflashing it, you can save the chip.

Is this easy to use? Can you use the older type Bios chips where the chip has little legs that fit into a socket? Like most socket A and 370 boards?

Also the machine comes in six different packages. Which did you choose and why?

Thanks for this.

Comment

It does the programming via Parallel port. The USB port is only there to provide a power supply.

(it also has an external jack for power as well, which I think you have to use if you are programming really old EPROMs that require 21v to program etc)

Yes, normally you take the chip out of the board and plug it into the appropriate socket, load the program and write your file (which you have to download from the website or read back from a working board if they only give you a stupid winflash with the BIOS image embedded in it or something)

It will program most chips, the old ones (28 or 32 pin DIP) go in the green socket, the PLCC32 go in either of the brown sockets, depending on if they are Parallel or LPC\FWH.

There is a list of supported chips on the website, you can also download the program for free, to check if your chip is in the list.

It comes in different packages because each one contains different adapters. There are adapters for TSSOP, VSOP, SOIC etc - I chose the most basic package as I only need to program PLCC32 and DIP. If you want to do others then buy the one with the adapter you need - or just buy the basic package and then any additional adapters you may require.

You can buy from www.Sivava.com or if in Australia, www.Darkwire.com.au is an official reseller. I would advise buying only from them or from Sivava's eBay store. A lot of people make cheap clones which don't work as well or aren't as good quality etc.

I also saw a USB version here: http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/stor...namicIndex.asp but I don't know anything about that one (features or quality-wise) I assume it's basically the same thing but with a USB rather than Parallel interface.
            Last edited by Agent24; 11-26-2010, 05:10 PM.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

If you do want to program a really old chip like a 27C512, be cautious about the Sivava offering

It's in their compatibility list, but doesn't do the job

First time I ever left someone negative feedback on eBay, because I asked specifically before purchase if it would work, and was assured it would

Having said that, the Sivava product is very well built, and does do most contemporary chips I've tried - but then, so does my older Willem programmer, a BrandX purchased from Hong Kong a while ago

And if you do run into problems, support for using the Sivava is pretty scanty - mine came with a single page, which sort of describes its jumpers, etc.

Maybe MCU would be a better option for a buyer in North America, because as I recall, they have a forum providing some assistance

The Willem programmers are to hardware what Linux is to software - each version has its own idiosyncrasies, and support groups, as always, are a mixture of noobs and experienced electronics people (many condescending)

And if you knew enough to modify your Willem to fix a problem, you wouldn't have bought ready-made in the first place

Back to the original question - with more and more boards having soldered BIOS chips, the Willem, or any other external programmer, has limited usefulness
              better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

I *think* I read about an issue with the older chips. Compatibility is not the problem - I think the problem is the power supply.

I believe the Willem uses a DC-DC converter of some kind to increase the voltage but it's not very good or something, and you need a higher input voltage than 5v from USB.

Yes most chips now are soldered in, but also, most chips now are serial versions which can be programmed in-circuit. (However you can build a much cheaper device than the Willem to do this)

I did however successfully reprogram a PLCC32 EEPROM on a CD-RW drive in-circuit with a homebuilt adapter. It probably won't work in most cases but it worked there.

Darkwire is probably a better place to get support for the Willem (since they sell the same one as Sivava)
                -David VanHorn

Comment

For the 27C512, I used an external power supply with the Sivava - did as much homework as I could, before purchasing

I'm wary of trying to program in-circuit, after frying an expensive (in those days) Socket7 board while trying to rescue another
                  better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Which version of the program did you use? Perhaps you needed an upgraded version? I downloaded a version which is newer than that which is on Sivava.com. I could send you a copy if you want.

I know, I was also advised against in-circuit programming like that. And I would advise against it too. But it was basically try that or throw the drive away (didn't have hot air rework at that time) so I gave it a try and luckily it worked perfectly!
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                      Which version of the program did you use? I could send you a copy if you want.
                      Version 0.98D5 - thanks for the offer, but I assumed new software versions were more likely to be flakey for older hardware support

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
                      I see that there are these cards where you can remove your bios chip and use the card to flash the latest Bios.
                      The one I covet is the MSI TL46 Service Kit, mentioned by Rainbow in this forum

Judging by a Google, the TL46 was only available in East European countries

Unfortunately Rainbow's last visit was June 2008 - his posts were always worth a read

Comment

Working...
                      X