Fluorescent electronic ballast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluorescent electronic ballast

I replaced the bad 15uF, 200V capacitor in an under-counter 15W fluorescent lamp with a 20uF, and now the fluorescent tube glows violet at both ends. Too much voltage? Too much ultraviolet?

Re: Fluorescent electronic ballast

bad lamp?
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I tried a few different lamps, except for a brand new one (didn't want to damage it), and they all glowed violet at the ends.

Comment

the cap that went bad may have damaged other things because in my knowledge (with analogue ballasts) if the starting circuit doest cut out the tubes will glow like that at the ends. it could also be that cap was in the starting circuit and the value is very important. like say a 20uF might be for starting a 20 watt bulb and a 15uF for a 15 watt etc. is this by any chance potted in tar and is the cap reversed?
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

pics?
          is it dim too?

Comment

Working...
          X