Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I buy a VP50 Vizio Plasma for 50 dollars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I buy a VP50 Vizio Plasma for 50 dollars?

Its a gamble, but should I take it? My local recycler has a VP50 Vizio 50" plasma tv for 50 dollars. It has a power light that goes orange when plugged in and when you hit the power button, it turns green but no picture.

I used a flash light and can see several blown caps on the board near the top middle of the tv through the vents.

I might be able to get it for 40.

Re: Should I buy a VP50 Vizio Plasma for 50 dollars?

if its just bad caps itll be worth it, but these are also known for bad ysus and buffer boards that can cost $200+ to replace or $50 at least to repair.

You could probably get away with selling the ysus and buffers as is for parts to make your money back if it doesn't work out plus all the other parts too.
    Last edited by Glitcher; 04-15-2014, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I am going through hell with one right now, if its the LG made version like mine its going to be more then caps. I replaced 9x 3300uf and 1x 1000uf caps on the PS all were leaking and it didn't not help. I hear the Samsung version has better luck with just replacing caps.

Mine was doing what the one you are looking at, it would turn on stay green and get no picture. And its doing the same after the recap.

Good luck! Also one thing to keep an eye out for is to make sure you don't pick it up with out the back on, the panel is held in by the back piece and it will fall if you tip it right side up.

Comment

I don't pay for IPM-based LG plasmas, too many problems. You could fix the IPMs then be stuck with bad buffers, sparklies or burn in. Not worth it...
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

If you do get the LG model here is my thread, feel free to use it and post in it too.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36819

Comment

How can you tell who made it? The one at the recycler is the vp50 hdtv10a model. Doesn't seem to be as common as the hdtv20a when I google.

Comment

Back of the screen itself, top left or right. You will need to remove the cover.

Comment

i dont like vizio/lg plasma

Comment

I think I'm gonna pass on this one. Sure I would like to fix a giant tv but if it isn't a good gamble and a lot of work, not really worth it.

Comment

Went back today. It was gone. Good. LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X