Server board socket 370 PIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server board socket 370 PIII

Poweredge 500sc part number 06M131 mainboard. This uses PIII socket 370 and 4 memory slots, two PCI-X slots and 4 PCI slots.

What attacts me is the price is very cheap now for this board, Tualatin CPU so cheap now, and saw 8 IDE port PCI-X cards on ebay, etc. Also sweet thing is 2GB of registered ECC SDRAM.

Will this work with XP Pro? I know I need to use a PCI video card but I know where to get good one.

Just curious.

Cheers, Wizard

Re: Server board socket 370 PIII

Unless it's a dual i wouldn't bother with it. But yes it will work with XP just fine, it'll run Vista and 7 too, but unless you get something like a 8400GS PCI... no aero.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

True... What about the "server" aspect side? If I do find PCI-X gigabit NIC and another card that plugs into PCI-X for hard drives will that help with transfer speed/data transmission?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        but unless you get something like a 8400GS PCI... no aero.
        lowest nvidia card supporting directX 9 (and thus aero) is the FX5200 / Quadro NVS280 (PCI only for the Quadro, the AGP NVS280 is based on a GF4)

Comment

even duals will work if you have xp pro... home, not so much.

sounds nice...
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Yes, it takes Tualatin, but no AGP Port.

Be aware that PCI video is not a sure thing on these serverworks chipset motherboards.

In my experience, PCI card can cause lockups and is surprisingly not that much faster than the onboard AGP. Sounds crazy, I know, but I suspect you may have to fiddle with IRQ assignment to get good performance.

Others here may have had a better experience than I did. Love to hear about it and if you had to do any fine tuning to get PCI video working OK.

That said, these boards are quite responsive. I use Ubuntu and the boards seem faster than their Hardinfo (benchmarking tool) scores would indicate. Of course, it's possible that the boards may work better under XP.

Keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
              lowest nvidia card supporting directX 9 (and thus aero) is the FX5200
              Supporting does not = working. We all know how blazing fast the FX5200 was in DX9...
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Single CPU vs dual CPUs

I do not mind getting the dual CPU board if that does help with XP Pro or linux because I can get cpus rather cheap now.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Added:

1500SC is dual CPU board with 4GB support (dual channel because manual says pair at a time), can run 1 CPU at first. Have 2 SCSI ports on board. But will this require rest of SCSI hardware that is specific to 1500SC to use SCSI stuff? I have some 68 pin SCSI HDs in storage.

500SC single CPU and no SCSI on board. 2GB and simpler board.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                    Supporting does not = working. We all know how blazing fast the FX5200 was in DX9...
                    it's fast enough for aero though. i've got a test box somewhere with a 2.6GHz P4, 1GB DDR and a FX5200 64MB. Aero works just fine. hell... aero even works on intel GMA 950's (all those first gen atom netbooks).. and these are even slower than a FX5200

enough OT for now... :p

Comment

Get the dual. You'll love it. But no AGP is teh suckz.

Comment

i've got a dual PIII 1GHz with AGP (unfortunately coppermine-only) and topcats intel SAI2 which supports Tualatins (has 2x PIII-S 1.4 on it) but has no AGP (onboard ATI Rage 3D or something instead)

the latter is my homeserver-NAS-Gameserver-VPN-Torrent-all-that-crap-you-could-think-of box..

Comment

Working...
                        X