Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first iMacs

Originally posted by toastygoodness View Post
    u have to burn using disc utility... i tried some settings on imgburn but it would fail halfway the install.
    I don't think the old G5 iMacs can burn dual layer DVDs, so I'm limited to my Windows box. I used poweriso (someone I googled mentioned that it worked for them)
    My DVD burner is giving me trouble (it burns ok, but won't verify and wouldn't boot a factory Win7 DVD), so maybe I'll replace it and try again.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

If you have a working Mac, transfer the DMG/ISO to the Mac, get a firewire hard drive.
      'Restore' the image to a firewire HDD and just boot from that.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
        If you have a working Mac, transfer the DMG/ISO to the Mac, get a firewire hard drive.
        'Restore' the image to a firewire HDD and just boot from that.
        Yeah, that was my first choice, but after searching I remembered I gave my firewire/usb enclosure away last year. All my others are usb and e-sata.

So I replaced my DVD burner, re-burned/verified, and the iMac still doesn't recognize the DVD. Will try a different image next.
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I suspect the problem is, you'll only be able to see the 'Windows' side of the DVD.
          Toast might do it if you can find a trial.

Comment

TransMac perhaps?

http://www.acutesystems.com/scrtm.htm

I believe there is a TORRENT of information out there too....

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

I have an imac g3. It read os9 discs I burnt just fine. Powerbook also read windows burned dvds with osx. Nothing fancy, alcohol 120, poweriso, magiciso all worked for burning. Something else is wrong.

Comment

Get a standard Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD and stick it in a PC, all you'll find is the Boot Camp installer. Stick it in a Mac, you'll get the OS X installation.

I suspect this is the problem with burning as its only seeing one 'partition' as it were.

Comment

No, I think the burn is fine, I think the superdive in my iMac is bad.
                  The iMac can read Windows single layer DVDs but not duals.
                  I'll get a firewire enclosure and do what I was going to do originally,

Comment

i know what the issue is.

your mac's dvd drive is failed. they have a bad habit of killing the super drives...

the fix is to buy a firewire 5.25 enclosure and go from there (ppc cannot usb boot, 1394 only). there is a place that has them for $12... I bought one for my imac g5 with a fried dvd drive, problem solved.

edit- you already figured it out, firewire is the answer.
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Update:

I purchased an external drive enclosure (like I need another one...) that has Firewire.
                      dropped in a Sata drive, plugged it in, opened up the disk utility, navigated to a network share with the Leopard image and tried to restore to the external drive. Silly thing wants a password. I don't know the password on this system. Grrrr.

Feeling creative, I disassembled the enclosure, removed the circuit board, and plugged a DVD drive from one of my windows boxes into it. Told the iMac to boot from it (luckily THAT didn't need a password) and now it has Leopard on it.

Seems to work pretty well. I don't like how the mouse is performing, but it might just be the desk surface. First thing I tried to install was Firefox (I hate Safari) and of course it won't run on a G5.

Any tips to where to find some good G5 compatible programs?

Comment

Firefox will work just fine with Leopard and the G5, but you'll probably find you need Firefox 3.6.

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
                          For some unknown reason I decided I'd like to learn a bit about Macs.
                          I haven't touched a Mac since the Mac Classic back in the 80s.

So I aquired 2 iMacs this week.
                          #1 iMac G5 I got from a car dealership, they say it was displaying pictures all day every day, then died.
                          I disassembled it. Looks clean, and the motherboard has lots of beautiful flat-topped Rubycons.

The power supply is another story. Full of crappy bloated Elite and Ltec caps.

So I'm starting with the power supply. Have replaced a few caps, including the one under the heatsink. Managed to get it out, and another in without removing the heatsink, which has about 6 TO-220 devices on it.
                          THere's friggin glue on almost every cap, and some of the through-holes have been a pita to desolder.

<SNIP>

Stay tuned.
                          I was looking for threads on the iMac, and found this one. Got a 17" which would turn on and behave as expected intermittently. I also found bloated caps and yes, the one underneath the heatsink is popped on mine.

I would find out the values as I pulled 'em out one by one, but if anyone's performed a poly-mod on these power supply capacitors, I'd love to get their specs, and maybe even their physical dimensions. If anyone's encountered other issues, like bad transistors and/or bad/dry/cracked solder joints, pleeeeeeeeeease lemme know!

FAQ? Can I use a good power supply from a 20" iMac or one with iSight to test this one at 17" without iSight?

I'm looking forward to my first iMac fix!

Thanks for reading!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Check with Topcat he's done some poly re-caps, but I think just the system board, not the power supplies.
                            As for power supplies, I don't know which ones are compatible with what, perhaps someone else knows.

Comment

Poly-mod on PSU gains you nothing and raises cost 2-3x more than needed. There are no less than 20 threads on iMac PSU's and caps to use.
                              veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                              X