• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD1730 - black display, green power led

Originally posted by ratdude747
    dont forget to use a good brand as well. post the brand you are thinking of
    Oh, I forgot.
    Thanks!
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I am going to use the Panasonic FC that you suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by jolarson
        I am going to use the Panasonic FC that you suggested.
        That ones, or FM series (I think they are almost at the same price) will do. Good luck, and please report back the results.
        There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
        • Windows 10 Pro x64
        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

They work, Yay. I replaced all the larger caps, though not the big one or the two little ones near the big one. All five boards test good. I still have to do all the reassembly. Thanks all. Now I will be ready when the other ones we have on campus go bad as well.

Comment

They work, Yay. I replaced all the larger caps, though not the big one or the two little ones near the big one. All five boards test good. I still have to do all the reassembly. Thanks all. Now I will be ready when the other ones we have on campus go bad as well.
            Congratulations. It wasn't that hard, right?
            • Windows 10 Pro x64
            • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Since you have a number of these monitors on hand, when you order a supply of parts I suggest you also get replacements for the two small caps. I just recently had the 'bigger brother' to this monitor - the FPD1930 with a dead power supply. One of the two small caps was bad.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                Since you have a number of these monitors on hand, when you order a supply of parts I suggest you also get replacements for the two small caps. I just recently had the 'bigger brother' to this monitor - the FPD1930 with a dead power supply. One of the two small caps was bad.

PlainBill
                I agree. More than once the smallest uf value cap was the culprit of a failing PSU. As you told you have some of them either dead/repaired, or in a near future failing too, it would be wise to order them too.
                Good one, Bill...
                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Hey guys, I just got one of the FPD1930 from work. The monitor turns on and I can barely see the computer screen. However, the backlighting seems not to work during normal operation. The only way I can get the lamps to turn on is when I enter the monitor's menu (front buttons) and select the calibration, but once done, the lamps turn off again. Unfortunately I do not posses an ESR meter, so no clue if the caps are good or not, but as from these posts, I guess I shall replace them since they do use the LTec crap.
                  Anyways, any ideas what it may be? I know the inverter board is quite high in price (79.99) and am hoping that it does not need to be replaced.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by sawickipeter
                    Hey guys, I just got one of the FPD1930 from work. The monitor turns on and I can barely see the computer screen. However, the backlighting seems not to work during normal operation. The only way I can get the lamps to turn on is when I enter the monitor's menu (front buttons) and select the calibration, but once done, the lamps turn off again. Unfortunately I do not posses an ESR meter, so no clue if the caps are good or not, but as from these posts, I guess I shall replace them since they do use the LTec crap.
                    Anyways, any ideas what it may be? I know the inverter board is quite high in price (79.99) and am hoping that it does not need to be replaced.

Thanks!
                    First of all, Welcome.
                    Post a picture of the board (see the FAQ on attaching pictures or more than one will yell at you...)
                    Get the info on the caps so proper replacements can be suggested.
                    When the lamps turn on, do you notice a pink/red hue on screen?
                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Thanks!
                      That is a very strange problem. I can't explain the backlights staying on while the calibration is run, but turning off after it completes.

The first step would be to measure the voltage on the BL_ON pin while the calibration is running and when the backlight turns off. If the voltage remains constant, I suggest replacing the caps on both the power supply and the inverter. If that doesn't fix it, we'll have to troubleshoot the inverter based on the 'two seconds to black' techniques.

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Well, let me rephrase that LOL. When I had it at my work desk with lots of light i could barely see the image. Now at home at night with lower to no light it is much better visible, and with the cover off i can see the lamps light the whole time. However, as seen from the pics, the screen is not very bright, even though all contrast and brightness is set to 100. Only when hitting the down arrow on the menu it gets bright and the picture is clearer.

Perhaps another issue?!

Here are the caps on board
                        2 x 150uF 30V 8x10 105C EVL
                        1 x 100uF 400V 17x31 105C AXW
                        2 x 1000uF 16V 10x20 105C 25H(M)
                        1 x 47uF 50V 7x14 105C
                        1 x 22uF 50V 5x14 105C

On the red/pink hue, I am not certain how exactly that is supposed to look like. But, I guess no, unless you can tell better from the pics?!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by sawickipeter; 05-17-2010, 09:58 PM.

Comment

BTW, where might I find that BL_ON at? Which board or which connector would it be on? I couldn't find any markings that said it on there.

also, may it be possible that only half the lamps are on while in normal operation and when entering calibration it turns all of them on, making the screen brighter? Not quite sure how those LCD monitors work?!

Comment

BTW, where might I find that BL_ON at? Which board or which connector would it be on? I couldn't find any markings that said it on there.

also, may it be possible that only half the lamps are on while in normal operation and when entering calibration it turns all of them on, making the screen brighter? Not quite sure how those LCD monitors work?!
                            Don't worry about it. It's obviously not the classic 'two seconds to black' problem, but an issue with way it processes the video signal. And I will admit I have no idea how to fix it.

PlainBill

Comment

I'm new to the forum and just had the problem with the 1730 going black. My knowledge is limited and I have not opened the monitor yet. When I do, I will return with more information

The Funky Judge

aka Ed

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                You're looking for something like this.

PlainBill
                                I work with Gateway FPD1730 & Gateway FPD1830 & Gateway FPD1930
                                If you use flash light to LCD can see the window (had connect to computer)
                                most they had owner inveter board
                                1/ check the fuse most time is fuse is blower (fuse close to quick disconnecter some board had 2 fuse.
                                2/ check cap on on inverter board (25Vdc /100uF) most time is blower on botton side not on top.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by hoadle; 09-26-2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Hi, sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I have a Gateway FPD1730 with the exact same symptoms as the OP (PlainBill), but I will reiterate anyway. Upon plugging in a power source the monitor will turn on for ~2sec before going black. The PWR light will stay green unless I remove the source, if I remove the source after ~30sec. the PWR light will change to amber. I also noticed plugging back in the source will cause the screen to turn back on for ~2sec. When the monitor is black I cannot see a faint image. So far I have replaced all the capacitors on the power board and the single cap on the inverter. I also added fresh solder to each of the transformer pins on the inverter, just in case there were dry joints. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by adamnp View Post
                                    Hi, sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I have a Gateway FPD1730 with the exact same symptoms as the OP (PlainBill), but I will reiterate anyway. Upon plugging in a power source the monitor will turn on for ~2sec before going black. The PWR light will stay green unless I remove the source, if I remove the source after ~30sec. the PWR light will change to amber. I also noticed plugging back in the source will cause the screen to turn back on for ~2sec. When the monitor is black I cannot see a faint image. So far I have replaced all the capacitors on the power board and the single cap on the inverter. I also added fresh solder to each of the transformer pins on the inverter, just in case there were dry joints. Any ideas?
                                    This is a different inverter than the one I had. Still, let's go by the book on troubleshooting 'two seconds to black'.

1. Measure the resistance of the secondary windings on the inverter transformers. They should match to within 3%. If you don't know how to do this, attach a picture of the back of the inverter. But please - a little larger picture than this one.

2. Disconnect all but one CCFL from the inverter and turn on the monitor. Does the display light up? If so, unplug that CCFL, and plug in the next, and repeat. Test all four CCFLs this way. If one CCFL fails to light the monitor, that CCFL or it's leads is bad.

PlainBill

Comment

Hi all, another newb here. I'm totally, I mean TOTALLY inexperienced at working on electronics but I also like to fix stuff myself if I can. I need some help on this and you'll probably have to dumb-down your replies so I can understand them until I can get up to speed. Like many, money is tight so I don't want to buy a new monitor if I can avoid it.

I too have the FPD1730 but mine just suddenly went dark while I was away from it for 15 minutes. Came back after getting a soda and nothing on the screen. Just black. Computer still running and playing the internet radio I had going.

The power light still displays green there is no discernable light coming from the screen. If I power down the pc the power light will go to amber. Starting the computer will make it go back to green but still nothing is displayed.

Where do I start and what should I look for? Could it be something as simple as a fuse to replace? Any ideas as to the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by beespecial View Post
                                        Hi all, another newb here. I'm totally, I mean TOTALLY inexperienced at working on electronics but I also like to fix stuff myself if I can. I need some help on this and you'll probably have to dumb-down your replies so I can understand them until I can get up to speed. Like many, money is tight so I don't want to buy a new monitor if I can avoid it.

I too have the FPD1730 but mine just suddenly went dark while I was away from it for 15 minutes. Came back after getting a soda and nothing on the screen. Just black. Computer still running and playing the internet radio I had going.

The power light still displays green there is no discernable light coming from the screen. If I power down the pc the power light will go to amber. Starting the computer will make it go back to green but still nothing is displayed.

Where do I start and what should I look for? Could it be something as simple as a fuse to replace? Any ideas as to the problem?
                                        It could be something as simple as a fuse, or it could be unrepairable.

How about doing this the smart way - open the monitor up, take a picture of the entire back of the monitor, and another of the inverter. For best results, make sure they are at least 1000 pixels on a side, but no larger than 2000 pixels. Attach them to your next post using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by beespecial View Post
                                          At minimum, you will need a multimeter to measure resistance and voltage and a camera to post photos of your boards.
                                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X