Got a brand new dead motherboard, don't know what to do with it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a brand new dead motherboard, don't know what to do with it

So my buddy gave this motherboard for free to me from his work because it has strangely been sitting in inventory since 2005 and was lost since then....they were just going to throw it away but my buddy grabbed it for me. It's an Intel D955XBK and it was brand new in the box. I put it in a case and put in a Pentium D 940 3.2GHz with a Cooler Master Hyper TX3. Put in 2 sticks of RAM, a video card, and for the life of me could not get this thing to display video.

It was beeping continuously and I discovered one of the RAM sticks wasn't in all the way, after that it would give a single beep but no video...I tried 4 different graphics cards and even one in each slot and every DVI port one by one. Never got video. I had a 8 pin plug in for the CPU, so I know that was getting enough juice, and I had the molex plugged in above the top PCI-E slot just to be sure. I wonder if the slots are dead? This thing would be a great server board....supports ECC memory up to 8GB, has gigabit, and 8 SATA ports with RAID support...

Any hope for this thing? Or sure I just desolder all the beautiful Rubycon and UCC KMG caps off it?

Last edited by Pentium4; 07-11-2012, 05:08 PM.

Re: Got a brand new dead motherboard, don't know what to do with it

Does it support the pentium D?
    Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

Just noticed that the pentium d is supported from bios version 2015.

That bios revision was released in 2008, your board has been sitting there since 2005 so i am guessing it wont have that bios in it.

You will have to put a pentium 4 in for now and update the bios to the latest one. Hope that helps you.

Comment

Yeah, it's in the supported list on Intel's website. Even if it didn't, it would probably have a rage of continuous beeps. Or at least you would think. I tried a Pentium 4 530 that was stated to work with the very first version of BIOS and still got no video.
        EDIT: Thanks for the reply Yeah I guess I could try that again
        Last edited by Pentium4; 07-11-2012, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
          Yeah, it's in the supported list on Intel's website. Even if it didn't, it would probably have a rage of continuous beeps. Or at least you would think. I tried a Pentium 4 530 that was stated to work with the very first version of BIOS and still got no video.
          EDIT: Thanks for the reply Yeah I guess I could try that again
          Also check for bent pins in the cpu socket, and try with just one stick of ram known to be working.

Comment

Sounds like a VGA output issue.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

if its beeping at you, its alive. Try a different CPU.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                if its beeping at you, its alive. Try a different CPU.
                It's alive it just doesn't support the cpu check the bios version and revision of board on intel cpu support list.

Comment

The only thing that comes to my mind would be to carefully examine that PCI-E slot, maybe there's something stuck in it that's shorting out or blocking a few pins.

Also, if you have such a dinosaur lying around, try it with a PCI video card.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I'll check out the slots when I get home, but the chances of both of them having some pins blocked are pretty strange. Especially being brand new out of the box. I'll also try a Pentium 4 in there, it may have one of the first versions of the BIOS. Thanks for the replies guys! I don't think I do have a PCI video card around but I know a shop where I could grab one for like $2...

Comment

Working...
                    X