Dell Dimension 4700 with a blown cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Dimension 4700 with a blown cap

So I'm blowing the dust out of a Dimension 4700 at work today when I notice that one of the capacitors near the memory area of the motherboard is blown. Totally blown. Goop on top and bottom of the cap.

The thing is, this PC SEEMS to be functioning properly. I've not gotten any reports of any malfunctions from the user.

So do I replace the cap? The machine works now - I kinda hate to futz with it in case I do more damage than good. Don't get me wrong, I'm skilled enough to replace the cap no problem - I've done it before.

What do you think? Do I fix what's (not) broke?

Re: Dell Dimension 4700 with a blown cap

Yes the entire motherboard should be recapped, and probably the PSU needs it as well.

And also the machine should NOT be turned on until such repairs have been completed.

Whoever the machine belongs to should be thankful that the problem was caught before any serious damage was done.

Comment

The user probably is having problems but thinks it's software, RAM or the HDD.
      Bad cap in RAM = Corrupted Data.
      What you need to replace depends on what you have.
      That varies from board to board.
      The Polymers won't need replaced.
      The 4 & 5 mm don't usually need replaced.
      Can tell you more if you will provide the make and series of the blown cap.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Attached is a picture of the bad cap. It's a 2200uf 6.3 volt, but I cannot see the brand.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by smalltownguy; 01-11-2012, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Shield logo = Chemicon.
          That is a Chemicon KZJ series.
          Chemicon KZJ [and KZG] frequently have problems. [Bad series.]

Specs wise KZJ should be replaced with Nichicon HN or better.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Sounds good, thanks. I'll throw the ESR meter on the rest of the caps on the board before I order, just to be safe.

Will update when I have more info...

Comment

I am having a problem with the exact same cap in the picture from this post. The PC no longer boots and has an amber led flashing at the front.

The last time this PC ran was after sitting for some time. I left the room after firing it up and when I came back there was a burning smell.

I replaced the psu but that didn't work and now noticed the bad cap. Is it likely the motherboard is fried because of this bad capacitor?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks,

Comment

I'd say your motherboard is toast (pun intended).

Capacitor electrolyte does have a smell, but it isn't like burned electronics.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Draino View Post
                  I replaced the psu but that didn't work and now noticed the bad cap. Is it likely the motherboard is fried because of this bad capacitor?
                  Not very likely. Replace the bad capacitor as well as any other failure-prone capacitors, like Chemicon KZG and KZJ as well as Nichicon HM and HN with date codes from H01xx to H04xx (where "xx" is a number you can ignore).

Comment

Working...
                  X