Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to find 3v and 5v regulators without schematics... Could it be this IC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to find 3v and 5v regulators without schematics... Could it be this IC?

I have a board that is missing 3v and 5v standby power. I also have a working board to compare. Board is AMPKB-CT which is from an HP all-in-one, but is basically like a laptop board I think. No schematics to be found.

I have googled every IC part number I can find and none of them are 3v or 5v regulators.

There are a few 20 pin ICs that could be it, but I am not sure. They are grouped together with a coil, cap, and mosfets, so it looks like they may be regulators. See attached picture.

"7A FD" is what is inscribed. On the other board says it says "7A FC" so I think the "FC" and "FD" are not part of the partnumber.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mattpd; 12-16-2015, 11:00 AM.

Re: Trying to find 3v and 5v regulators without schematics... Could it be this IC?

generally 3.3 and 5 volt is a 24 pin 6x4 and is near 2 little inductor. post whole board picture.

Comment

Re: Trying to find 3v and 5v regulators without schematics... Could it be this IC?

Originally posted by mattpd View Post
      "7A FD" is what is inscribed. On the other board says it says "7A FC" so I think the "FC" and "FD" are not part of the partnumber.
      I think you have correct track, its regulator DC/DC for 3.3v/5v

here:

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...6efd1981b0.pdf
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by meritosari View Post
        I think you have correct track, its regulator DC/DC for 3.3v/5v

here:

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...6efd1981b0.pdf
        Perfect!

What was your process to locate this part online? Or did you just know already?

Comment

No, I didn't know, from what dellxps15 mention above.
          - trying to find at aliexpress image of mobo AMPKB-CT
          - searching in "Richteck marking information code" document for notebook with word 7A

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39126

Comment

Originally posted by meritosari View Post
            No, I didn't know, from what dellxps15 mention above.
            - trying to find at aliexpress image of mobo AMPKB-CT
            - searching in "Richteck marking information code" document for notebook with word 7A

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39126
            Thanks for the good info.

I found 19v VIN on this chip on the good board. No VIN or EN on the bad board.

Without schematics I am kind of lost, but I will try to track down why VIN is missing. I can see 19v on other parts of the bad board. Any idea?

Comment

I figured it out.

RT8243 was short to ground on VIN pin and a 2.2ohm resistor next to it was open. Replaced both with parts from the good board and it works.

Thanks again.

Comment

Yes you are right also I think 8a also is 8243a regulator for 3.3 , 5

Comment

it's a TPS51219 find its datasheet and check

Comment

thanks for the information
                    Last edited by SMDFlea; 03-19-2021, 12:51 PM. Reason: Translated to english

Comment

Looks like a common problem. Thanks to this thread i found standby voltages went to zero but in my case short circuit is in one rail and Vin got cut (looks from a burn fuse or some copper got kaput). Can be anything downstream and i don't have a thermal camera.

Comment

I forgot to mention I desoldered the 3.3v inductor and jumped Vin from the power brick connector to Vin in RT8243 and got 5 and 3.3v standby voltages.
                        My only problem now is 3.3v rail shorted to grownd :v

Comment

Working...
                        X