Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caps under the sink, would they benefit from contact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caps under the sink, would they benefit from contact?

Hi,

I'm about replacing the VRM lyte caps on my board with polies.
    I'm quite limited in height since 8 of 10 caps are located under the CPU heat sink (LGA 775 board from MSI) which leaves just 12mm headroom. The old caps where 10mm in height but I couldn't get caps that small here around and thus have to go with 11.5mm.

My question now is if the polies would benefit from actually touching the CPU cooler to get cooled. I don't know how warm they'll get by themselves.
    In the past (board is 2.5 years old) CPU mostly ran at 35°C and only went to about 45°C under load. On the other hand the CPU itself is no power beast (Pentium E2180, i.e. low end Core2Duo) and the Seasonic S-12 has a quite stable signal. Am I right in my assumption that this means not much to do for the caps and they won't heat up themselves?
    On the other hand I wonder why the lytes (OST, ESR of 0.029 mO according datasheet) have failed then in the first place (all bulged though not vented through the roof but blasted the rubber plug at the bottom) - besides the reason of being utter crap.

The replace procedure itself is no biggie, already did that successfully some time ago on another board but that hadn't cap size constraints and I used normal caps.

Thanks,
    Robert

Re: Caps under the sink, would they benefit from contact?

Originally posted by robome View Post
    My question now is if the polies would benefit from actually touching the CPU cooler to get cooled.
    IMHO: No, they would overheat.
    You are also blocking air from leaving the heat-sink.

0.5mm sounds inadequate for top clearance too.
    [For that matter so does 2mm for lytics.]

Were it me I would use a file or similar on the underside of the heat-sink [only in the area where the caps will be] and open the clearance up at least another 1mm if not 2.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

And here I thought this was going to be about caps in a garbage disposal...
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        IMHO: No, they would overheat.
        You are also blocking air from leaving the heat-sink.

0.5mm sounds inadequate for top clearance too.
        [For that matter so does 2mm for lytics.]

Were it me I would use a file or similar on the underside of the heat-sink [only in the area where the caps will be] and open the clearance up at least another 1mm if not 2.
        Thanks for your answer. That little headroom surely is a design flaw of the board and I'd have gone the long road ordering some caps of 8mm height from the other side of the globe, wouldn't that system be my only system and thus needs repair fast (I'm typing this on my cellphone browser).

So I'll try to give the caps as much space to the sink as possible - and do considder modifying the CPU heat spreader.

Regarding garbage disposal. That play with words in the title only occured to me right after sending my first post.

Thanks, Robert

Comment

where are you?
          order these
          https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=79

Comment

the original caps might be slightly improved by contact with a garbage disposal!

Comment

Same.

Comment

Yes I think those poor capacitors left all alone under the kitchen sink need some contact and affection
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

so my cap stock being on old grocery store shelves out under the fluorescent lights should be happier?
                  and to answer the op's q no i would not put them in contact with the heatsink.if you do nothing but replace with the ones i linked above they will last well beyond the systems useful life.
                  Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                  Yes I think those poor capacitors left all alone under the kitchen sink need some contact and affection

Comment

Yes it will help if there's contact being made! Those Hobart 5hp garbage disposals sqeal and take forever to spin up with the start capacitor not conected.

Comment

Working...
                    X