High heat and motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High heat and motherboards

Im looking for advice, I have a couple of motherboards that need to run in high heat conditions. Room temps of 100F or less and not alot of airflow.

My question is, are there caps better suited for high temps other than the 105c Elecros that are on the boards now? These are older P4 boards running Prescots so heat is already a issue.

Re: High heat and motherboards

Polymer (Solid) caps are gennerally more tolerant of the heat than electrolytics, but it's still a bad idea to run a PC at high temperatures with little airflow. Add some extra case fans.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

100F is 37.7C. A 105C cap would do just fine in that situation. If you are really worried about heat, look for the highest life cap you can find. I think it is rubycon that said that for every 10C drop in the temp of a cap, it doubles it's lifespan. So even a short lifespan cap with 2000hr at that temp would be approximately 13,600 hours, and thats at it's full rated voltage and ripple current. On a motherboard, the voltages are usually not over about 2-3 volts. Sometimes as low as about 1.5v.

Comment

>100F is 37.7C. A 105C cap would do just fine in that situation.

that is ambient temp, and those caps around the cpu will be adding heat of cpu(that reaches them) to that...

depending on the mobo design they can get mighty hot...

and if that is so, then c_hegge got it.
        solids are more heat resistant.

he should monitor the caps temp in that ambient, then decide.

Comment

"Every 10C drop in the temp doubles it's lifespan."
          That's universal.
          Nearly every manufacturer mentions that somewhere or other.
          It only applies to Electrolytics though.

Presumably he means 100F -OUTSIDE- the case.
          Inside the case would probably be 20-30F hotter with poor cooling.

100F [37.7C] - 13,600 hours = 567 days.
          120F [48.9C] [>10C rise} - <6,800 hours = <283days.

Unless you want to recap every 8-12 months improve the airflow or switch to polymer.
          Polymer will be expensive because you'll need to do every cap in there including the small ones.

The lytics in you PSU are of concern too.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

davmax did a good piece on polymers:
            http://www.capsmod.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=93

Comment

Working...
            X