a new dell to play with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a new dell to play with

im out of town right now so when i get back on sat. ill check.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

they all are 02 datecodes

time to recap (if mom lets me that is)
      sigpic

Comment

still running fine.

i decided to to dual boot it. ubuntu/xp. using the xp half right now, dual boot rules!

cpu-z:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=852105
        Last edited by ratdude747; 11-28-2009, 01:05 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Morning RD! Using a Microsoft Product are we!...LOL Only kidding with you Mate. My Lappy is dual boot Linux mint/Xp Home. I love it too. I don't have Mint on my desktop as of yet because I'm working on a package of new add-on software to run under windows Xp. The stuff that I have been using is just to dang old. Now don't get pissed with me but I am going to offer you some good advice here, "If your Xp is legal that is." Do the upgrades to Sp2 and Sp3. Next do all the rest of the updates too. Its free so take all you can get and then some. After these updates Xp becomes Ok. You will still need to run and Antivirus, and a spyware blocker/scanner. If you go to the IT side of the update pages you can find ISO disk images of Sp2, and Sp3 for download. Do this and burn your disks. Unplug whatever it is that you use to get on the net, and install same. Next turn off automatic updates and change the way automatic updates reports to you to kill the nag screen about having the updates turned off. What ever you do, stay away from the software validation tools if you are not legal. Maybe you should look for these ISO files using ubuntu. I don't know if you can do it this way but its worth a try. The best way would be to use a PC for the SP downloads that is known to be all windows legal.
          "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
          Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
          John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
          Rod Serling

Comment

i will warn you now that just because those hn/hm are not bulging you are not safe.
            i just recapped 3 260's that were very unstable.datecode iirc was h0428.
            they looked fine but were high esr.several were 5 ohms on the dick smith.
            whats really funny is they had me recap all the 260's in the plant but were going to toss 4 280's because they did not have spare ram on hand to upgrade them.
            they already had 1gb each.needless to say i picked them up for proper "disposal".
            even funnier is when i opened them up to inspect all 4 had my mark on the board and polys.i even told them it was sily to dump em over cheap ddr2 since they were already rebuilt.the higher ups wanted the machines standardised.i wont complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
              Morning RD! Using a Microsoft Product are we!...LOL Only kidding with you Mate. My Lappy is dual boot Linux mint/Xp Home. I love it too. I don't have Mint on my desktop as of yet because I'm working on a package of new add-on software to run under windows Xp. The stuff that I have been using is just to dang old. Now don't get pissed with me but I am going to offer you some good advice here, "If your Xp is legal that is." Do the upgrades to Sp2 and Sp3. Next do all the rest of the updates too. Its free so take all you can get and then some. After these updates Xp becomes Ok. You will still need to run and Antivirus, and a spyware blocker/scanner. If you go to the IT side of the update pages you can find ISO disk images of Sp2, and Sp3 for download. Do this and burn your disks. Unplug whatever it is that you use to get on the net, and install same. Next turn off automatic updates and change the way automatic updates reports to you to kill the nag screen about having the updates turned off. What ever you do, stay away from the software validation tools if you are not legal. Maybe you should look for these ISO files using ubuntu. I don't know if you can do it this way but its worth a try. The best way would be to use a PC for the SP downloads that is known to be all windows legal.
              hmm, thats EXACTLY what i did. has key on case. found the dell version of xp pro w/ sp3 slipstreamed on piratebay (has restore option but also can act like normal xp install without entering the key since it knows that you are installing on a dell), done, installed xp, installed drivers, installed apps:

comodo av/free firewall
              openoffice
              google chrome
              mp11
              .net 3.5 (for ati catalyst)
              infra-recorder
              7-zip
              asus smart doctor (lets me oc the graphics, thank god i soldered in a fan for it)

sigpic

Comment

ok, some questions for the poly-mod experts:

since it is the mini-tower:

idk if a poly mod is worthwhile; it only gets a little warm...

nichicons:

13x 6.3v 1500uf 8mm
                3x 16v 1800uf 10mm
                3x 6.3v 1800uf 8mm
                1x 10v 680uf 8mm

the rest either have no vents or are rubycon mbz or sanyo wg/cg. i assume the nicicons w/ vents (hm) are the only ones that need to go.

also, if i should poly mod it, what values should i use; i have never done a poly-mod.

iirc poly= 1/2 uf of a lytic.
                Last edited by ratdude747; 11-29-2009, 10:59 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Poly is optional.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

ok ill order caps then.
                    sigpic

Comment

oh dear... it has began to show bad caps symptoms. it once in a while locks up in bios, but a hard reboot cures it, only for it to happen once again at a random re-boot.

iirc, that is a definite bad caps symptom. better be ordering caps...
                      sigpic

Comment

My Dell is hanging from time to time too. I don't even want to look at the caps since I have a screwed up dual core Hp Compaq as soon as I can go pick it up. Would rather work on that one. Its programing/virus/ adware issues with the hp compaq. My brother say that with the Hp compaq I can run a system restore from the boot and restore the PC to like the day it was made from a backup partition on the HD. If that fails, my brother also has the Xp for it that he bought from Hp compaq for a PC that he sent back to them because it had issues. He then bought another Dell with windows vista. It had issues too until he switched out to Windows 7.
                        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                        Rod Serling

Comment

you might have bad caps. i will see if a recap changes the issue.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well RatDude I took it apart for a good cleaning and its working better now. I just don't think a little dust was the issue with it. The unit wasn't perfectly clean but it wasn't anywhere near Ghetto Zone dirty. The caps all looked great too.
                            My wifes Dell was in the Ghetto Zone for sure. Its on the floor with the dogs and cats and has many fans to suck in all hair...ect. Yesterday I also went on a dig in my junk box and found it a brand new never used 80 pin IDE/PATA ribbon wire. The Optical drive errors on the read are all fixed now.
                            I have to go get that sick Hp Compaq soon. Its a 270 mile round trip to where its at in Del-Mar but its worth it. Its a dual core intel so it sould be faster than my old junkers are.
                            Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
                              Del-Mar
                              Don't happen to know a 18ish year old kid there named Casey do ya?

Comment

Jones?
                                toot toot

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

The only people I know in Del-Mar is my cousin Polly and her husband Bobby. Sorry.
                                  Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                    Jones?
                                    toot toot

Toot toot as in toy steam engines? We might be talking about the same guy here.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                                      Toot toot as in toy steam engines? We might be talking about the same guy here.
                                      Wow never mind that

Comment

Casey Jones is an old old song about a Train Engineer.

Grateful Dead did a different one using the same name about a stoned guy driving a train.
                                        -part-
                                        Driving that train, high on cocaine,
                                        Casey Jones YOU BETTER, watch your speed.
                                        Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
                                        And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

kc, how do you desolder the vrm caps? the hs plate is in the way and idk how to SAFELY remove the playe

i guess i could remove the cap if i angle the iron right... and desolder from the other side... since you recap them i'd assume you would have a secret to tell.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X