X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG Flatron W1934S

Hello guys!

I need a little help here...

Got this display from a friend of mine, because it wasn't working anymore, he was experiencing the "2 seconds to black" error so he bought a new LED display.
    When I got home with the monitor and opened it to see what could be the cause of the problem. Of course couldn't see anything, totally newbie here.

After closing the case and testing it I got the same trouble but had another one, the display was totally white with two stripes in the right. One of them is thin, the other one a little bit bigger.
    The display gets brighter two seconds but then it goes darker, but I still can see the stripes!

So, what can I do to fix these problems?

Thank you!

ps: I'm gonna attach a picture I took from the display.
    Attached Files

Re: LG Flatron W1934S

There are multiple flat ribbon cable that run across the top of the LCD panel. You probably damaged some of them when you either took the cover off or when you were putting it back on, which is what is causing the 2 verticle strips. This damage is not repairable.

Comment

All I can do is throw it away?

Comment

You could still try and get it working and put up with the stripes. Or if you have an interest in repairing monitors it is one to practice on.
        If you want to try take it to bits again and post clear pictures of the
        front and back of the logic board and the power board - try not to pull
        on cables to the panel and dont press on the back of the panel where the
        ribbon cable attaches. Do you have a soldering iron and a multimeter.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I would like to fix this issue. This monitor is a piece of work, nice size, image...
          Well, I have soldering iron, but have no idea what is a multimeter and how I can use it... but I'm interested in learning everything I can!

If you know any way I can fix this issue, please, tell me!

Took some other pictures, I just dissassembled it to take a look at the ribbon cables, looks like I damaged two of them :/
          Oh, when I assembled it back I got another screen... no white screen any more, now it's black with other colors.

Attached pictures follow.

Thank you for your amazing help so far!

ps: Please tell me exactly where do you want me to take pictures to clarify things!
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi this is going to be difficult if not to say impossible!! especially as we dont know if the damage already done to the panel/cable will prevent it from displaying.

I will give you some ideas of what to do and what you need then you can start over or try and sell for parts.

First if you click on "Search" in the bar above and enter W1934S. it will give you a list of threads on this forum relating to this monitor.
            If you read them it will show you what pictures are needed and what tests you can do- Remember you are dealing with Lethal Voltages here so extreme care required. There is probably enough info within them to get the set going as far as it is able but you can always come back for clarification on what you dont understand.

When you took the picture with the black screen white and green stripe did you have a source connected- eg computer

Multimeter = http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-LCD-Di...item3a6e4b842e

As an example this is the cheapest on ebay but they dont post to Brazil. It is cheap and not really recommended but obviously better than nothing. You may know it as a voltmeter. You will need to measure Resistance and Voltage as a bare minimum.
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

I suppose the first error I got with this monitor was "2 seconds to black"... After reading a little I did know that it was a malfunction in one of the lamps. Maybe a problem with the solding... I think I can handle it, it is basic.
              But after a deep look I could see that my ribbon cables were damaged... probably it was my fault, when closing the case. And, as said here, I think it is impossible to fix that, unless I buy other display and install it is the old case, so this would fix my two issues.

Also, I connected the monitor to my computer and the screen had the same look... black with some stripes.

Now, what do I do? Buy other monitor or just replace the screen?

ps: A voltimeter, ok I know it! In Brazil it's a "voltimetro"

THANK YOU SO FAR! Awesome help, i'm learning so much!

Comment

Perhaps try and get some sort of picture on this first then if that works - new /replacement panel? Obviously its up to you how far to go.

When connected to the PC and it showed the black screen with white /green or any colour stripes did it stay on or did it go black after 2 secs. If it stays on then it suggests a video signal problem. Is the cable in place between the logic board and the panel? Take it out and check both ends for bent missing pins or if it is a flat cable clean up the contacts.

I am suggesting easy things first and when the pics are available other members might suggest more tests.

Comment

Yes, maybe I could replace the panel, could be a solution, right?

When connected it showed the image for two seconds, then it went black, showed image again and after 5 seconds top it went black again, forever...
                  The same happens if I turn it off then on again!

I checked all these things about cables and other stuff, if nothing was loose. Everything was in their place.

Tell me exactly what things I should take pictures of, so I can post them here, please

Thank you so far, thank you very much!

-- edit --

After looking the display I copied its model (MT190AW01) and did a search for prices...
                  Didn't found any results, but found a brazilian website that sells monitor parts, so I wondered, can I replace this 19" screen (model MT190AW01) for one 19" (model LM190WX1 or SVA190WX02), or I can only replace for another like the one that came with it?
                  Last edited by champzzz; 02-24-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by champzzz View Post
                    Yes, maybe I could replace the panel, could be a solution, right?
                    Always an option but you may still a have a problem
                    When connected it showed the image for two seconds, then it went black, showed image again and after 5 seconds top it went black again, forever...
                    The same happens if I turn it off then on again!
                    You still have 2 sec to black then
                    Tell me exactly what things I should take pictures of, so I can post them here, please
                    Read ALL of this thread
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ghlight=w1934s
                    As well as a link to a 2 sec to black guide it tells you how to test the
                    inverter transformers.

Post Photos of your board the same as in post 1.

After looking the display I copied its model (MT190AW01) and did a search for prices...
                    Didn't found any results, but found a brazilian website that sells monitor parts, so I wondered, can I replace this 19" screen (model MT190AW01) for one 19" (model LM190WX1 or SVA190WX02), or I can only replace for another like the one that came with it?
                    I dont know but probably not - the cable connections are often different.
                    sometimes have only a letter different but one is for Samsung one for LG and so on.

Can you try this:Set up your pc with a vivid picture you can easily recognise then when the screen goes black can you see the computer image by shining a flashlight on it. I should also have asked earlier does the power light led come on, stay on, flash, change colour.

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                      Multimeter = http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-LCD-Di...item3a6e4b842e

As an example this is the cheapest on ebay but they dont post to Brazil. It is cheap and not really recommended but obviously better than nothing. You may know it as a voltmeter. You will need to measure Resistance and Voltage as a bare minimum.
                      I would stay away from any of those dt830 variants based on my personal experience at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=25

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...9&postcount=30

Note since April 2010, I have changed my tune regarding the usefulness of a multimeter and have since purchased better ones (plural).

If you can spend about $13 USD, the Uni-T UT33D has some decent reviews from

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/product...wn-and-review/

They are available on ebay and ship free worldwide. I personally don't own one and thought about buying one, but I ended up getting something else for a "pocket" multimeter which hasn't arrived yet.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

@seeldoor

I see your point here... if I replace my display but some of my capacitors are bad, I'll still have the same 2 sec to dark issue, right?

Took some pictures of my monitor, boards and stuff, take a look and tell me what you see!

It's a shame I can't replace the screen with these other models, since I couldn't find the model MT190AW01 for sell online in brazilian stores...

I'll run some tests later and post pictures here, too!

Thank you so far, very much!

@retiredcaps

Thanks for the tips!
                        I'll look for multimeters in some stores here...
                        Maybe I take some pictures and you tell me if it's ok with that multimeter or not!

Thank you too!
                        Attached Files

Comment

First of all, sorry for double post, but I couldn't find the "edit" button... I may be very tired.

Anyway... Did a test right now with the monitor. I can say it surprised me, I'll tell you why...

A while ago I opened it to take pictures of the board to post here, left it open and went to web. I assembled it, turned on and realized that there is one stripe that moves vertically in my screen, geezz, that's something, it has to be a light!
                          Also the screen had a different behavior this time. It was black after two seconds, but after a while it turned on again and was gone only 40 seconds later... Before it didn't stand 5 seconds at all!

Took some pictures of the screen for you to notice the vertically moving stripe (if you know what causes it, don't know, if it's good or bad... whatever, tell me! )

Thanksssss!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by champzzz; 02-25-2012, 12:37 AM.

Comment

The photos of the boards are not really clear enough. In particular we need to be able to see the back of the board clear enough to see the black numbers. There has been some soldering done do you know what that was for? Not much more can be suggested until you can get use of a multimeter. Something else that would be of use would be another panel- doesnt have to be working apart from a backlight ccfl. Blue moving stripe - not a clue - "if its movin it aint dead" "a very cold giraffe going past a window at night"

Did you try this yet:Set up your pc with a vivid picture you can easily recognise then hook it up to this monitor -when the screen goes black can you see the computer image by shining a flashlight on it.

Comment

Originally posted by champzzz View Post
                              First of all, sorry for double post, but I couldn't find the "edit" button... I may be very tired.
                              Unrelated to the monitor, but anyways: You can only edit posts within 30minutes of posting them. After that, the edit button disappears. It's to stop trolls editing old posts to say something different or removing information for whatever reason.

Comment

@selldoor

Okay, I'm gonna take other shots, more clear.
                                I guess the old owner didn't do any soldering or anything like it... he just took it to someone to take a look and that's all.
                                I'm buying a multimeter soon, when I get it you'll help me use it, won't you?
                                Oh, I didn't get it, the moving stripe is a good signal or not?

Yes, I tried this, and that's what I got after puting this image on screen (attachment)

Thank you so much!

@Scenic

Thank you, after all I wasn't that tired...
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by champzzz; 02-26-2012, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Very Colourful - I suspect the panel is totally shot.

I assume this was only on screen for less than a minute?

Im still not sure if you have tried or understood the bit with the torch.

Again I am presuming that within 1 minute the screen goes black all over?
                                  At that point the backlights have switched off because the monitor system has detected a fault - could be lots of things - ccfl- wiring - fuse- transistor.
                                  BUT your computer doesnt know that there is a fault and continues to send the picture.
                                  IF the video part of your monitor is still working it transmits this picture to the panel.
                                  You cant see it because you can only see it if the screen is backlit, but it may still be there.
                                  By shining a torch or other light source onto the screen it is sometimes possible to
                                  see the image very faintly as the torch provides some lighting. It doesnt alway work
                                  and you can try different lights and different angles and with the room in darkness.

Comment

What do you mean by saying the panel is totally shot?

It was on screen al the time it was on... then I had 2 sec to black, the same image came over again seconds later and last almos a minute on... then the screen went black again.

I tried the trick with the torch...
                                    What I got was: when the screen went black I shined a torch to that and could see the image, very very very dark, but it didn't last long, I could only see this for 2 or 3 seconds, then the entire screen went dark...

That's all I got.

Thank you!

Comment

Totally shot = it will never work properly.

It was on screen al the time it was on...

How long is all the time it was on? 1 min, 5 min or what

Hopefully you had the computer set to be always on ie not screen off after 1minute
                                      Last edited by selldoor; 02-27-2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Never will work properly again? Ooooh

All the time it was on mean all the time the screen had some backlight on it... when it disappeared I turned off the monitor. Guess it last one minute.
                                        Should I leave it plugged longer?

Yes, always on ie is set here...

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                        X