Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hp dv6z-7200 - constant flashing CAPS LOCK

Hi,

I cleaned out the fans & tried upgrading the APU to an A10-5750M but now with either this APU or the original A10-4600M the CAPS LOCK flashes constantly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm4E6zWFrCg

This is supposedly a power problem but there is enough power to the board for it to overheat & switch off when wrapped in towels.

I've tried a hard reset & bios recovery without success.

I wondered if an HP UEFI BIOS will brick a machine if unsupported hardware is added ? (& if I can reflash it with a USB Programmer & Test Clip).

Or is it more likely that the discrete graphics needs to be reballed ? (the laptop was previously overheating badly & shutting off before I cleaned it out).

Or could it be some other problem ?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/n8...-mobo-pics.zip

Last edited by itoffshore; 10-19-2015, 03:59 PM. Reason: add pictures download

Re: Hp dv6z-7200 - constant flashing CAPS LOCK

i would reball northbridge

image size is invisible...

Comment

Original pictures http://www.mediafire.com/download/n8...-mobo-pics.zip

Comment

Is it an AMD? If so, likely a CPU problem.
        At least that's what the blink code seemed to indicate on a CQ-61. (Athlon II) (2009-2014, IIRC) (RIP)

It looks like HP's AMD laptops are prone to overheating and BSOD'ing at stock core clocks!

And that was before failing with a repeated slow LED blink. HP's version of the RROD.

(BTW, it's never supposed to BSOD at stock, period!) (Even with high core temps!)

(Other laptops are more likely to throttle, IIRC!)
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-19-2015, 07:37 PM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I don't think i've seen a single CPU fail in these. It's always the chipsets. Besides, he already said he tried 2 processors.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I can buy a new motherboard on aliexpress for $150 or send the laptop to have the video card reballed properly for approx GBP 50 (there were artifacts on the screen previously so it may be the discrete video card that is the problem).

Could there be other problems caused by overheating besides the video & it would be as economic to buy a new motherboard & sell the broken one on Ebay ?

Comment

You did not mention the discrete GPU before. Yes it is very possible that the GPU is at fault not the processor.

I would send the board for reballing if they are trusted, AMD chips tend to hold up well after reballing, we have very few returns.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I was not able to repair the DV6Z-7200 mobo & bought a new DV6Z-7000 mobo (hp 682183-001) with a later gen video card (AMD 7730M vs 7690M originally).

Are HP laptops known to soft brick if you try installing a non standard CPU (AMD A10-5750M Richland) - rather than the A10-4600M Trinity it came with originally ?

Some people have been successful upgrading a Trinity ---> Richland with the HP G6's / Pavillion.

Comment

hi guys i have a power problem with a similiar one to this HP pavilion dv6-7010us
                  with motherboard Kroyer/Yeats 1.0 mb 11277-2 48.4sv01.021 can any one give the datasheet of it ?

Comment

Working...
                  X