Testing a mosfet with DMM and an ebay smart component tester/ esr meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing a mosfet with DMM and an ebay smart component tester/ esr meter

So, I have replaced a number of components on the power board of a TV trying to eliminate some high pitched coil whine. All caps are new, but the whine persists, so now I'm trying some of the other prone-to-failure components.

The Mosfet is a W18NK80Z, and this is the datasheet

I'm using an ebayed ESR meter / smart component tester

and an Ancor 702073 Multimeter to try and test it. When I put it on the smart tester, I get the following readings:

C=12.9nF
    Vt=4.2V

and a proper identification of the 3 pins (Gate, Drain, Source). Is this enough to determine if the Mosfet is good? I have no idea.

Next, I used my DMM to try some of the tests I've read about online, including retiredcaps' methods. I get nothing with my meter set on 200ohms. If I set it on continuity/diode test, I get no reading except with the negative on Drain and the positive on Source, and I get a reading of .469

If I try this method with my DMM set on continuity / Diode tester, it does what it says it will on the page. Climbs from 1 to 1.9 and then is either giving me an infinity reading or resetting to 1.

Which of these tests confirms the Mosfet is good? Any of them? How come I don't get and readings with the DMM set on 200ohms?

Cheers,
    Alex

Re: Testing a mosfet with DMM and an ebay smart component tester/ esr meter

Perhaps it is the coil itself.

Comment

Is the TV actually faulty? Or does it work fine but with the whine? Sometimes coils do whine under normal operation.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Sony procedure to test MOSFET (see attachment).

But do not trust the value: you'll not read 400 ohms to 1kohm.
        That's a generic value for some old power mosfet.
        I have some BUZ90 and IRFS630 and they give me 1500 Mohm and higher value.
        Sometimes the BUZ90 required second or minutes to dissipate the charge applied between G ans S so if I test'em between D and S it gives me infinite resistance.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X