Solid vs wet lifespans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid vs wet lifespans

I've been working on recapping an older motherboard which already had some seriously high-end caps onboard. I was thinking I would try to make the switch from electrolytic to solid-state to add longer life to the board, prevent leaks, ect. When I snoop around on digikey, it seems like the high-end electrolytic caps have rated life spans of something to the tune of 5000 hours at 105C while solid-state caps with the same uf and voltage ratings come in around 2000 hours at 105C.

I did see one "wet tantalum" that appears to be indestructible but it's also $133 per unit. too rich for my blood.

Shouldn't the solids be spanking the pants off electrolytics in terms of life span?

Thanks!

Re: Solid vs wet lifespans

In my older macs, Ive switched to tantalum on the motherboards and have had no problems, they had surface mount electrolytes that loved to leak, the tantalums are supposed to last alot longer but time will tell.
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Re: Solid vs wet lifespans

that's what I'd expect...maybe I'm reading my results wrong or I'm looking in the wrong places..

other than digikey, where would you go for caps?

Comment

Working...
      X