Linksys WRT54GS v.6 - Wholeflash needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linksys WRT54GS v.6 - Wholeflash needed

Finally managed to debrick mine with a lot of fiddling and a JTAG cable.

Ended up running the DD-WRT micro version as flash is limited to 2 MB.

Does anyone have a copy of the -Original Linksys- WHOLEFLASH file for this router?

If not, how about the 3 files that comprise it: CFE, NVRAM, KERNEL ?

Note for the uninformed: These are -not- configuration backups that you make from within the router. These are made via wrt54g.exe at a command prompt before flashing with new firmware. i.e.- *.bin files.

Toast
    Last edited by Toasty; 09-05-2011, 10:28 AM.
    veritas odium parit

Re: Linksys WRT54GS v.6 - Wholeflash needed

May i suggest you ask at the dd-wrt forum, there might be someone there that has a dump of wholeflash. Anyways i think if you use that method to go back to original you will get the mac addresses of another router on it. (might not be a biggie).

That said, I'm curious why would you want to go back to stock? At least the wrt54g v7 that i tried (same amount of flash/ram i think), barely worked at all with original firmware. Would lock up and perform all crappy. With dd-wrt on it it would at least work decently.

Comment

Thanks for your answer, digge.

When I go to sell this (shortly), I want to be able to do so to the general public.
      I just bought the Netgear N600 and already like it way better than this.

Secondly, I wouldn't ask the people at DD-WRT -a thing-. So many conflicting methods and answers is how I bricked this to begin with. Moderators don't pull wrong or incomplete answers and it seems everyone has a different method.

Thirdly, the request for the v.6 WHOLEFLASH has been out there on the DD-WRT forums for nearly 3 years now. Not a single one in all that time. Had I been -clearly- instructed from the beginning, I would have one.

The .bin file can be HEX-edited (I use Ultra Edit) to incorporate the MAC address of the original very easily. You'd -think- someone at DD-WRT would have made that -easy- by now....

Toast
      veritas odium parit

Comment

I totally agree with you, can be troublesome to get hold of a wholeflash. Especially one that is for sure working. Worst case there are some small hardware difference even within series and it still doesnt work.

What i would do is try to promote dd-wrt on it as something good rather when selling it. You do get more functionality if nothing else, hope that someone is "geeky" enough to buy it as is?

Anyways good luck, maybe i too should get around to selling the 3 or so working wrt54gl i have in my closet

Comment

DD-WRT is generally a selling point. Should be able to get more for it.

The MAC address can be set in a startup script: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0225307AALEEu4

Comment

Thanks jsog.

The router has been up 5 days straight now without a hitch. When I first got it, it would need a reboot 2-3 times a day. Kept dropping connections. I did recap it with FM's when I got it, but that had no effect on the dropouts. The original caps also tested fine.

Used (3) EEU-FM1E221, 220uF @ 25v.

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.

Still would like to come up with the original flash for this.

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

where are the jtag points on a v6?
              got a bricked one at the shop to do when things slow down.

Comment

JTAG header is right behind the "Internet" LED at the front. I pulled the pins off a dead mobo somewhere. Only had 10 pins, but that's all I needed when I made the franken-adapter from an old mobo serial ribbon cable to DB25 connector. Cable must be short to avoid noise. Whole contraption is 8" long.

See attached pic.

EDIT: Additional Info

Serial: CGN91F85....
                Chip is: Broadcom BCM5352EKFBG
                Flash is:
                (a) White Label - VER:1.50.1 / CS5B3A
                (b) Chip markings - JS28F160 / C3BD70 / A6177448

Attached Files
                Last edited by Toasty; 09-09-2011, 11:53 AM.
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Hi all! (sorry for my english if its bad)

I have wrt54gs v6 and i bad flashed him (used jtag cable to flash). Before flash my router i backup just cfe (tjtag3 -backup:cfe /noemw), but didn't backup kernel ((( and than erase cfe and kernel too (after this all leds lighting, don't blink, just light)...power led is blinking, wlan led off

How do I flash the router through jtag? Where can I find kernel file or wholeflash or all of them (cfe,kernel,wholeflash) separately. What do I need to flash the router?

Please help!! If you can explain to me step by step what I should do please.

ps. on dd-wrt forum everyone is silent (((

Comment

Working...
                  X