Power Board 715L1034 in HP1502 Compaq FP15 Iyama PLE383

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Board 715L1034 in HP1502 Compaq FP15 Iyama PLE383

I just repaired a Compaq 15" LCD screen Model FP15 Model Number PE1233 Product Name P9618C Manufactured in October 2003; it is similar to HP1502. This LCD monitor has 2 boards, one 'power-backlight board' reference 715L1034-1 and one 'processor board'. The 'power board' 715L1034-1 was not working properly. Main issue with the board were 7 HERMEI capacitors that had 'bulged on top and blew their gaskets at the bottom", out of the 10 capacitors on the board. I am surprised that Compaq/HP used in October 2003 caps that were questionable since 2000.
    I replaced these seven capacitors including 5 rated 470micF/16V [C926-924-929-930-930] and 2 rated 1000micF/16V [C922 & C925]. These HERMEI's are either purple or black [*C stands for degrees C]:
    - purple 470micF/16V marked LT 105*C 0326, diameter: 8.2mm & height: 12mm
    - black 1000micF/16V marked LE 105*C 0331, diameter: 10.1mm & height: 15mm.
    Due to these faulty caps, Zener diode ZD904 [7.5V, 150mW] had overheated and left a visible burned spot on the board, but it was still working. This ZD904 can be tested in circuit by connecting +12V through a serie resistor to the Zener and measuring the voltage across the Zener; should be 0.7V one way and 7.5V the other.
    After re-capping, the LCD monitor is now working.
    By the way, a decent 'Service Manual' of the power board can be found at http://www.eserviceinfo.com/index.ph...ing=vf15++fp15 but the component reference number have changed by 100 e.g. component C922 on the board will be C822 in the service manual. Hope this helps. Vince -Berkeley-

I enclose a photograph of some of the 7 faulty caps. Good photographs of the 'power board' 715L1034-1A and another example of 'bulged capacitors' can be found in the 'allinbox' forum at http://forum.allinbox.com/aspectgee...ujet_8417_1.htm

I believe that this "power board 715L1034-1" is used by a number of LCD monitors built circa October 2003 with potentially faulty HERMEI caps:
    - HP1502
    - Compaq FP15 & FP5315
    - Iyama PLE383
    Vince
    Attached Files

Re: Power Board 715L1034 in HP1502 Compaq FP15 Iyama PLE383

welcome and thanks
    seems that crap HERMEI caps
    are used all over the place and what you got is the end result of what happens to them

Don't know if they were victims of the bad lytic formula or were the victims of them producing crap but there is a few posts around here on them thats for sure

Cheers
    You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

LCD monitors can get rather hot inside - and poor quality capacitors inside can fail prematurely. I recommend Chemi-Con KY Series.
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Panasonic FC series from Digikey are also a good brand to use in those infernos known as LCD inverters.

Hermei with their turtle-shell vents always seem to fail in LCDs.

Hermei every time I hear that name I think it sounds like a new sexual disease .

Hermei is you guessed it a Taiwanese craptacitor company the same country where the plague originated.

I personally stick with Japanese electrolytes like those in Panasonic, Ninpon Chemi-Con, and Nichicon.
        Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-23-2008, 07:17 PM.
        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I am interested in what the symptoms were before you did the recapping.
          I have a Compaq FP5315 and at first there was an intermittant fault when the green LED power light flashed and the screen lit up momentarily. When I examined the 715L1034 board I discovered a dry joint on both sides of the zenor diode ZD904 which I resoldered, and the monitor worked for about a week but then the fault returned. I replaced C922 with a 25V one that I had available because I noticed it was slightly bulging at the top. I also noticed that C924, 926, 929, 930 and 932 were also slightly bulging, and that ZD904 had a burned spot on the PCB. The replaced cap made no difference so I tested the voltage on each side of the diode with just the mains input socket connected. It was 14.60V with the probes connected one way and -14.60V the other way. This voltage gradually went down over time, so I am unsure as to whether the diode is still working or not. The fault is now permanent not just intermittant. Please can anyone help?

Comment

First I would like to thank everyone at badcaps that posted about this crazy power supply.
            My monitor FP5315 would power up then flash off. Sometimes it would glitch on and off.
            After inspection I found all suspect hermie caps popped. Thanks to your suggestions I ordered Panasonic replacements from digi-key. Soldered them in and whoo hoo its running.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have 3 IBM with a Power Supply of 1071000354, Made by HP, same Problem, just a little bigger supply. Is there any iinformation on this FAQ about this supply.

Comment

I have the same problem as mentioned above:
                The LCD works fine (you can see it faintly) but the lamps light for less than 1 second when you first turn the screen on.

I opened the case and pulled the power supply out - the PCB is brown in the center and some of the caps are rounded. I replaced all 7 of the 470micF/16V caps and 2 of the 1000micF/16V, however I still have the same problem. I've never replaced caps before, but they seem pretty straight forward - white striped side goes on the white half of the circle, make sure the solder doesn't touch other contacts, etc...

Anyone have any ideas or things that I can test for? Keep in mind, I'll need a bit of explanation as I haven't dealt with this kind of thing before.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comment

Check those 2 transistors right under the inverter transformer.

Odds are one of them is shorted.

Check on the other side of the board where that dark spot is too odds are a SMD is fried.
                  Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
                  X