X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi, I am an electronic tecnician.
    sometimes I like to repair broken things that other people throw away..
    I have sometimes find helpful informations on this site.

Comment

IT company owner here. Been building machines for 20 years, trying to get my hands dirty in NOT throwing away electronics if I am able to fix them.

California grown, Sacramento is the home.

Comment

Hi all, here is a new cat in town~ nice to meet with all the Pro here, I am a noob computer tech and engineer on a engineering company, (PS: Basically I just study on IT and basic of electronics, and didn't have any certificate on engineering I donno why my live is going wrongly and have been take over to became a engineer than now I need to face with all the electronics and machine )

hope all the PRO here can have a good care on this wild dying cat here

Comment

Hello, all!
          My name is Yakir, I am a SW engineer, mostly FW.

Comment

It looks like quite a few members here. Normally I don't get too involved in these boards on the internet. This one piqued my interest due to my old computer crashed and I bought another used one. The guy that sold me the used one sold me an old viewsonic 922 and of course it quit as soon as it came in over my door step. I called but like most used stuff it was "as is where is". Lo, I found this forum which was just what I needed. I was an electronics tech in the Navy back when they used vacuum tubes. Remember them? I dabbled in electronics off and on through the years, but I needed a job that payed for groceries and rent. I still work for the USPS as a machinery mechanic getting close to retiring, but hate to retire in the middle of a recession. I will be trying to repair the old viewsonic and will probably be here asking furthur questions. My old monitor here is a about a 21" crt which puts a big bow in my computer table. But easy to see at my age.
            Bear with us older ET's as I have some catching up to do.

Comment

Hey, just a normal guy with a dead monitor. Hoping to get a little guidance from the community to help fix it and learn a little bit more. With all these cheap flat screens all around I think this is a skill that will come in handy for many many years.

Comment

Hi all,
                Nice to be a part of a do-it-yourself-ers forum. I am no where near as savvy as most on here after reading some of your post, but I am a quick learner and love to fix... that is how I found this site. Usually I go to ebay for misc parts but there were no capacitors listed close to what I needed so I google searched and found the badcaps.net store. Brilliant!

I have alwayshad gaming systems as I am a product of the 80's: commodore 64, Intellivision, Atari 2600-7800 (not the Jaguar that was crap), Sega: Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, Nintendo: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Playstation 1, Xbox, Xbox 360.. I'm probably forgetting a few... Never the less it wasn't until 3+ years ago that I got a computer job and ran with it. No experience, schooling or training; just a "have at it" opportunity. I felt so lost . I was always knowledgeable about hardware but never built a machine or took one apart. I was first given the task to maintain and deploy our 10+ HP laser printers as well as dektop support. People would call and I would use stall tactics and have the empty cloud hovering over my head, "uhhhhh....hmmmm" but the beauty of the internet is info. Google was my #1 tool to find similar issues and tutorials to help me learn and troubleshoot. Within a year they made me tierIII helpdesk. The following year I was given the title of Sys Admin and managed our site's workstations, software deployments, AD, login scripts, imaging, purchasing for IT, patching system (WSUS - nightmare - for 1500 workstations company wide) as well as continued my duties as helpdesk pro and printer maintenance .

I noticed many machines physically dying (lappys and desktops) and started to learn the joys of repairs. I will say this is my passion as it relates to working with computers. I feel a great sense of accomplishment taking a broken laptop or printer, ripping it apart (well not so barbaric) and finding the broken components, replacing and reviving what was headed for the recycle bin. I have found laptops in the trash and repaired them. I have fixed many friend's machines as well. So with this new found passion, I have learned a new lesson: Just because a monitor doesn't give a picture or turn on doesn't mean it is trash. Some simple soldering of new capacitors and viola!

Anyways, enough jabber about my work life. I am happy to be a member and look forward to gaining new knowledge and insight from seasoned pros.

Thanks,
                PappaV

Comment

Hi All

I am a tinkerer from Canada. Joined this form to learn and to try and help others.

Comment

Name Carmelo Rodriguez (Rod)
                    Live in Puerto Rico
                    First Computer 286 AT 16 Mhz
                    Started Working w Computers 1980 (longtime huh?) Worked in Europe for 23 yrs and traveled all of it.
                    Retired in 2003 as system admin and IT tech from Armed forces Civilian
                    Currently just as hobby and helping ppl w PC's

Joined because some info is needed to repair an LCD Monitor E19T6W and to keep up w you young and notso young techies.

Thanks

Comment

Greetings to all from the Pacific Northwest, and then inland a little ways...I too am thrilled to have found this forum. Tinkering with Macs since the late 90's, I was one of many with the pesky viewsonic Q19wb that suddenly quit (no power) after 1 year and two months of use. Got the usual run-around, searched and searched for info and/or replacement parts, and just recently unloaded a pile of old computer parts (and my first Mac Performa 6400 that I hotrodded as far as they were capable of being hotrodded) to a major tinkerer in town, leaving the nearly "brand new" viewsonic in the box with original packaging ready to re-visit and begin the fix-it process. Just starting to psych myself up....will be back soon.

Comment

Greetings from an amateur looking for tips and tricks. I am currently trying to repair a flat panel TV with some bloated Caps and found this site/forum through a search. I read some faq's and many posts and this seems like a very well informed group of helpful people.

With some luck and practice I hope to fix my flat panel and maybe others if I can learn from my experience. I have been taking stuff apart since I could hold screw driver. My skills at putting it back together have gotten better with age though.

Comment

Greetings!

Today I was successful at my first attempt at replacing bad capacitors. I fixed a Samsung 204T LCD monitor by replacing 6 CapXon GL series electrolytics. All but one had visible bulging of the top. They were replaced with Panasonic FC series. The monitor fired right up, so far so good!

I thought the monitor was worth saving because it was an older 20" 1600x1200 unit. I prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio to the widescreen format that has taken over.

Thanks to those that maintain and contribute to this site!

Comment

Hello everyone Badcaps forum. I live in central Europe, and often repair ATX power supply and LCD monitors. Mount only checked LOW ESR capacitors.

Comment

Howdy,

Found forum through Google search for information on my dead monitor. Have been replacing bad caps in various gear for years, most recently a Fisher 800C receiver. (Second time around, but it has been 30 years). Caps go bad fast here in sunny Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                                As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                                So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                                where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                                My name is goter2011. My knowledge about anything electronic is very limited. I was given a Sceptre X32GV-Komodo LCD tv recently. It worked fine for a couple of weeks, and then one day when I turned the tv on, the power just refused to stay on. It would stay on for 10-15 seconds, and then the screen would flicker off. A friend told me it was probably a capacitor problem. That is how I came to Badcaps.....HELP!!! PLEASE!! I have never owned such a nice tv, and I am poor!! A girl just wants to relax and watch her shows. If I can fix this myself, with some help from a smart, nice technical person, I would be forever grateful.... Thanks!

Comment

Greetings from Masachusetts

Greetings

My name is Frank and I am a retired educator.

I found this forum while I was searching for a common Jenn-air
                                  Wall oven problem.
                                  Model. W30400P. About 9 years old.

About 6 months ago our clock on the control panel got really dim. Now it's at a point where you can't see it at all. The oven works fine, you just have to remember to listen for the audible tone when it gets unto temperature.
                                  Last night we tried to use the broiler and had problems not being able to see the control panel.

I know from reading the great comments on this forum that it seems like a easyfix to some capacitors.. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to fix my board if I sent it to them???????

Please let me know.... Frankb10@gmail.com
                                  Thanks for the great information on this forum.

Comment

Hi,

Brian here from Sunny Queensland, Australia. Tinkerer with electrical trade & some electronics background. Haven't done much for a long time but getting back into setting up a nice bench.

Love playing with lots of technology, computers early Crystal Wireless (when they used actual rock crystals)...

Comment

I landed here searching for info on a bad Dell E173 monitor. I've browsed the forums several times in the past, and it seems to be a great crowd, so it's about time I dip in.

Just like to tinker and fix. Remember to turn the soldering iron OFF ... and just WALK AWAY! (know the show?)

Comment

Привет! На каком языке здороваться не указано, вот я и выбрал, который мне по душе. Был когда-то электронщиком... Теперь пробую "реабилитироваться".

Comment

Hi,

My name is Wade and I'm from Virginia but I currently reside in Chicago. I searched the internet to fix a broken Acer X221W monitor that I got for free today. It appears this website is very comprehensive when it comes to fixing things so I'm excited to start fixing it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X